chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

18 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, all you really  can do is strongly encourage mask wearing, explain why it is helpful, explain why at risk groups are relying on less at-risks groups to comply, and require businesses to enforce it as best they can.

Maintain that message and **do not** deviate from it.  There is no need to politicize it or make it about anything other than the science.  That is likely the most effective way to maintain the highest level of compliance.

I wonder how difficult it was way back when to convince car traffic flow to stay on the right side of the road for the benefit of all on the road?

"Harglebargle, I'll drive on the daggum left side of the right because its my God given privilege to do so!  Good day, sir!"

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Seems a bad time to be a president if you can't manage a crisis.

I think any president would struggle trying to manage this many hoaxes. 

• Like 1

It sounds like Texas is having problems. Shut everything back down and make masks mandatory statewide.

This one hits a bit close to home for reasons I won't bring up here, but this idiocy...

Post image

Governor Abbott channeling his inner Jon Taffer here...

• Haha 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Governor Abbott channeling his inner Jon Taffer here...

I am sure that the 2A patriots will soon storm the Texas capital to object to this dumb broad's unconstitutional order

• Thanks 1

Who could have guessed that establishments where people go to consume a judgment impairing substance would turn out to be a hot bed for the spread of a disease driven by irresponsible social behavior?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I spent some time this morning learning a few tricks in Excel.... learned how to sum values by month via this formula....

=SUMPRODUCT($D$2:$D$8144,--(TEXT($B$2:$B$8144,"MMM")=H2))

This is the state's explanation on positive tests in their data:

"The total number of positive tests may exceed the number of confirmed cases due to 1) a single indivdual may have more than one test performed; 2) MDHHS may receive data on positive tests in advance of a local health department classifying an individual as a confirmed or probable case, and 3) although efforts have been made to deduplicate testing data, some duplication may occur."

21 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I spent some time this morning learning a few tricks in Excel.... learned how to sum values by month via this formula....

H2 is a cell with the value of your target month in it?

When they introduced it, I think the theory was supposed to be that Access was so easy to use you would throw that state data into a data table and do a graphical query on it, but I think they kept the price of adding Access to Office so high that no one has it!

Yes.  You create a chart if you like....  Believe it or not I spent about 4 minutes figuring out why it didn't work... that's because I labeled my chart as "march", "april", etc. instead of "mar", "apr", to match the cell it was pulling from.

I typically would have used Access for this... most of my work is for my own use so I just wing it and I'm sure I am not as efficient as I could be but once I get it then I just paste the output elsewhere for presentation purposes...

Company is on the Alteryx bandwagon and I took the classes but I still revert back to what's comfortable.  It suits my meager needs.  Too often I see others, who are not data scientists and its' not their primary job, wasting too much time trying to what's pretty and is "cool" but in the end... doesnt really improve productivity.  They are too concerned with showing what they've done rather than just doing it...

Fauci wants to introduce 'pooled testing' to increase testing reach. This is a great concept where the prevalence is low as in MI. Ironically, once prevalence starts getting as high as it is in AZ, it's not much help. 

For instance if expected prevalence is 2%, you could group put twenty samples into one test and still have less than 50% chance of that test being positive - bingo, you have cleared 20 people on one negative test.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-health-202/2020/06/26/the-health-202-the-trump-administration-is-eyeing-a-new-testing-strategy-for-coronavirus-anthony-fauci-says/5ef4f629602ff1080718f308/?itid=hp_hp-top-table-high_health202-830a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

My sister in law i referenced earlier in TX, tested positive.  It has been 10 days since the contact and we talked to her last night and she was fine.... just not happy that her family member put them in that position.  She only works with cancer patients so it's not anything important!

Those cancer patients are likely to die anyway, and in some small way, this may reduce the financial strain on those families.

if Seans Hannity or Davis... or even some former posters here said that it would have totally been believable.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

if Seans Hannity or Davis... or even some former posters here said that it would have totally been believable.

The mustard was still there

23 hours ago, Melody said:

And Mayor Betsy just made mask wearing mandatory until early August, to be enforced on businesses rather than individuals.   Expressed regret that compliance was so low that she had to take that measure.

Of course it was low. It was always going to be low because they wanted to place trust in people to do the right thing, as if they would all magically comply because they were asked nicely to.

But you can't trust in an entire population to do the right thing because it takes all kinds to make a world, and there will always be outliers who will do what they want regardless of how nicely they were asked.

You can place trust in a group of people to do the right thing only if they joined the group by passing thorough some screening process and there are consequences for breaching the request. Neither was the case in Abbott's request of faith.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And what a perfect time for Trump to try to end Obamacare.  

Because of course. 

You don't like it, get a job with healthcare. Easy peasy.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

This one hits a bit close to home for reasons I won't bring up here, but this idiocy...

Post image

"PLANNEDemic". That's a new one for me.

Check out the reactions: five for the question including laughs, and 20 for the taxpayer-funded smartass response, including loves.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

This is the state's explanation on positive tests in their data:

"The total number of positive tests may exceed the number of confirmed cases due to 1) a single indivdual may have more than one test performed; 2) MDHHS may receive data on positive tests in advance of a local health department classifying an individual as a confirmed or probable case, and 3) although efforts have been made to deduplicate testing data, some duplication may occur."

Long time fan of Excel here.

How is this different from something like:

=SUMIF($B$2:$B$8144,A8146,$D$2:$D$8144)

Where A8146 is the where the list of months to log your results starts, column B is the list of months in the table, and column D is the number of cases?

I'd like to personally thank all the Jobbie Nooner people for making sure that this virus keeps spreading.  The event is already a petri dish that could make an elementary school blush, but yeah, a bunch of people on boats, not wearing masks (one boat with four giant Trump flags on it)...........that's gonna do wonders.   

Hey, make sure you blame Gretchen when we have another spike..........it'll be all her fault.  

39 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Just part of the death calculus. Just think of all the people who will kill themselves now because we are on lockdown.

I've said this before,  some of the same people that go on and on about the sacrifices our veterans made, can't make the sacrifice of putting a piece of light cloth over their mouths - just for a few months.  We could be getting more people to work - if you'd all just wear a mask..........just a mask.   I belong to a gym, I would like to go back to shed the Quarantine Fifteen, but you know what, gyms aren't exactly a place I want to be right now.    This is one of those things that if we aren't ALL in, then nobody wins.