chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

1 minute ago, stanpapi said:

You are arguing against yourself and don’t know it. You all support banning travel and all these other extreme overreactions that only impair markets and economic growth. You can’t ***** about markets falling when they are falling for a reason you wholeheartedly endorse. I think it’s the wrong move to ban travel.

I wouldn't go on a cruise or plane vacation right now if it were free. So they can ban whatever they want.

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

I thought it was really nice how our Messiah President went out of his way to stir up xenophobia against all of Europe aside from the UK by referring to COVID-19 as a “foreign virus“ that was “seeded” by Europeans in America. Yeah, the same way Mexicans are referred to as vermin and filthy rapists infecting our cities. Very bad people. Europeans, Mexicans, Muslims, they’re all vermin. The guy is as tactless as he is consistent. 

The virus originated in China.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

I wouldn't go on a cruise or plane vacation right now if it were free. So they can ban whatever they want.

You can choose not to do it while not banning it outright. Global travel has been going on ever since it started. It’s an overreaction to do it now.

1 minute ago, stanpapi said:

You are arguing against yourself and don’t know it. You all support banning travel and all these other extreme overreactions that only impair markets and economic growth. You can’t ***** about markets falling when they are falling for a reason you wholeheartedly endorse. I think it’s the wrong move to ban travel.

So...there's not a shred of anything lucid in there.  Suddenly I'm banning travel.  All I said, it feels like 10 years ago now, is that Trump is now a drag on stock prices, after his stupid TV appearance tonight.  He just is.  But have a nice evening, I have to crash now.

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

I get that. We have already heard about HC providers who did not have adequate protections. Right now, X number of them are sick

Italy right now cannot out all on ventilators who need it. Those who don't get it will surely die. Our super sh|tty healthcare system - that the GOP says is so great! - is about to crumble.

Society in general is going to crumble. At least, it's possible.  Too bad we didn't have a leader who was ahead of the issue instead of in denial. And cuts to the CDC? Ugh....the money he wasted on his wall could have built a lot of hospitals.

3 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

So...there's not a shred of anything lucid in there.  Suddenly I'm banning travel.  All I said, it feels like 10 years ago now, is that Trump is now a drag on stock prices, after his stupid TV appearance tonight.  He just is.  But have a nice evening, I have to crash now.

Stock prices were going down no matter what he said. And there are 40+ pages now of all of you “sky is falling” folks and only me saying this is all utter nonsense over reaction. I disagree with Trump on banning travel. Wont matter. Agree with cutting payroll tax- use it as an election year item against the democrat fear mongers.

No cuts to social security or Medicare.

26 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Stock prices were going down no matter what he said. And there are 40+ pages now of all of you “sky is falling” folks and only me saying this is all utter nonsense over reaction. I disagree with Trump on banning travel. Wont matter. Agree with cutting payroll tax- use it as an election year item against the democrat fear mongers.

Yeah, well, don't come crying to my when you don't have any TP. Just use some dollar bills, it's all they'll be good for. Thanks to your reality TV fake president.

3 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

I can’t figure out if you’re just outright trolling, if if you’re your just this ******* stupid and tribal. 

It's the latter.

Definitely the latter...

2 hours ago, stanpapi said:

The virus originated in China.

Yes, indeed it did, comrade, indeed it did! Ha ha ha ha hah!2738FEBA-D1C7-42F6-83F3-9C5A2092C5F9.thumb.png.02f92f4a139b0545a3c2823c310608e6.png

Business has been down between 20-25% the past two days.  Normally you only see days like that when we have bad storms.

We started catering at the new year.  Three different companies attached to each restaurant location that is run out of a central location to cut costs.  Every event we had scheduled for the next month has been cancelled.  Quite a few past that have been as well, but not all.  

We'll be fine but still sort of feel like the captain of the Titanic at the moment.  

Oh ffs

Turkey and Russia don't have any reported cases dontcha know. 

The self-dealing corruption is going to kill at least thousands.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Business has been down between 20-25% the past two days.  Normally you only see days like that when we have bad storms.

We started catering at the new year.  Three different companies attached to each restaurant location that is run out of a central location to cut costs.  Every event we had scheduled for the next month has been cancelled.  Quite a few past that have been as well, but not all.  

We'll be fine but still sort of feel like the captain of the Titanic at the moment.  

good luck man

6 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, well, don't come crying to my when you don't have any TP. Just use some dollar bills, it's all they'll be good for. Thanks to your reality TV fake president.

Again, statements like this just play into the “panic and run” narrative. 

And statements like 'it is a virus like any other' and the death rate will fall to H1N1 levels without any evidence or data to support that claim play just play into people not taking precautions they objectively ought to be taking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And statements like 'it is a virus like any other' and the death rate will fall to H1N1 levels without any evidence or data to support that claim play just play into people not taking precautions they objectively ought to be taking.

It’s a virus. People will get it, get sick and never be tested, which makes the % mortality much lower than currently reported. The people that get this will largely recover and be fine. Like anything else, elderly may be at more risk. But you don’t stop society because of it. 

8 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Honest question....did we shut down the NBA, or play the NCAA to empty stadiums, or stop travel to Europe, or close universities, etc. etc. during H1N1? Because obama being the worshiped one here on this board, I'd just like to know if he had the same response to the pandemic at that time. I mean, it was 11 years ago. Maybe I'm forgetting that we did all that back then? Please enlighten me if I'm forgetting. 

Oh, and 12,000 people died back then in the US. 

PS....here's an interesting passage from this article:

Despite fear and pressure, these officials avoided their more extreme options. They did not use the national Tamiflu stockpile as a preventive mechanism. They did not mandate vaccination or issue federal orders to close schools. They did not heed Congressman Eric Massa’s call to close the border with Mexico, the source of the epidemic.

https://www.csis.org/blogs/smart-global-health/h1n1-influenza-and-us-response-looking-back-2009

I went to bed last night, so I didn't address this, but:

a. H1N1 had a mortality rate of 0.02%.  Even if coronavirus falls to 2%, it makes coronavirus 100 times more deadly.

b. 12,000 people died then.  We do not know how many will die now.  If just 1/10 get infected as did H1N1, we should expect > 10 times more to die because the disease is believed to be at least 100 times more deadly.

2 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

It’s a virus. People will get it, get sick and never be tested, which makes the % mortality much lower than currently reported. The people that get this will largely recover and be fine. Like anything else, elderly may be at more risk. But you don’t stop society because of it. 

The same could be said for H1N1.

The evidence all points to coronavirus being more deadly.  Orders of magnitude more deadly.

Math matters.