chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

was there much protesting in AZ? (serious question). I don't remember much mention of Tucson or Phoenix but I wouldn't been paying that much attention either.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Remember when Arizona was going to be the MLB bubble?

Pepperidge Farm Remembers 

6 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Pepperidge Farm Remembers 

Faygo Remembers. 

Know your audience.

Is he really dumb enough to think if people don’t get tested than the virus doesn’t exist, or is he just admitting out loud that his response to this is so bad, it’s best to just ignore it?

He’s been saying that for a while. He’s of that age and mindset that those stabbing pains in his chest is just indigestion and no need to see a doctor.

(This coming from a guy who a long time ago thought stomach pain and low grade fever was just the flu and not appendix issues.)

The bars and restaurants on Main Street here were disappointing. All of the sidewalk tables were way too close together, and they were packed with parties of 4 or more. Whitmer is going to need to shut them down again. 

3 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Is he really dumb enough to think if people don’t get tested than the virus doesn’t exist, or is he just admitting out loud that his response to this is so bad, it’s best to just ignore it?

He's continue the work to get the red hats to accept that the problem is not COVID the disease, which totally isn't a hoax wink wink, but the testing for COVID. It's not a public health issue—it's a political issue.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

The bars and restaurants on Main Street here were disappointing. All of the sidewalk tables were way too close together, and they were packed with parties of 4 or more. Whitmer is going to need to shut them down again. 

I see the same thing here in Chicago. Groups of adults sitting at tables and they probably aren't all intermarried to one another.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He's continue the work to get the red hats to accept that the problem is not COVID the disease, which totally isn't a hoax wink wink, but the testing for COVID. It's not a public health issue—it's a political issue.

Correct.  He only cares because he thinks more positive tests lower his re-election odds.

He is only able to see it in those terms, ergo more testing is bad.  He does not think about the implications of his statement beyond that.

Correct, Trying to analyze why a sociopath says what he says is futile.  

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Correct.  He only cares because he thinks more positive tests lower his re-election odds.

He is only able to see it in those terms, ergo more testing is bad.  He does not think about the implications of his statement beyond that.

His inability to see the potential of this own job is what is so crazy - and tragic. Wouldn't most people in the presidency - even those obsessed with being elected - see that the potential of the powers of the office to fix a problem is their most powerful re-election campaign weapon? But it never even crosses his mind. He just isn't capable of understanding anything that requires making an indirect inference. 

This is the same intellectual incapacity that has made his trade policy an abject failure. There is no corner he is ever able to see around.

The guy wants so desperately to be hero, you hand him the best hero-in-a-box toolkit the world has ever produced, and he thinks it's an umbrella stand.

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

MI numbers better today

It is Sunday, so be careful with that.

Good. Glad to hear... but then again 2-3 weeks ago you were shut down, so this is still the effect of that.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Good. Glad to hear... but then again 2-3 weeks ago you were shut down, so this is still the effect of that.

The protests will start showing up in hospitalizations more frequently going forward, one would think

one of the things that is happening is that these echo outbreaks comprise a lot more younger people (as will most protester cases), so we may not see fatalities anything like the 1st pass. Sure, it's true this disease can kill anyone, but statistically mortality increases by orders of magnitude with age.

I even wonder if age isn't even just the correlate of reserve lung capacity  or  VO2.

I usually don't venture into the political forum but I figured it was important enough to post my New York experience. I went back to the office in Manhattan for the first time since early March last Wednesday and encountered a sobering reality. People just don't give a ****. I'd say that about half weren't wearing masks and a portion of the mask wearers had it slid down under their chin (what's the point of wearing a mask in that case?). This is in a relatively sparsely populated Manhattan, what is going to happen once Phase 2 starts this week and thousands more flood into the city?  This is in a democratic state, I can't imagine what it's like down south and in the midwest.

This is the thing with 'Murica. Too many people care more about their personal freedoms than the greater good of the country. It sickens me how selfish this country is, a product of the "leadership" sadly. I mean, just look at that pathetic rally last night. I'm afraid that we'll see more lockdowns in the fall (when the virus will likely flare up again) because people are too damn stupid, selfish or just plain ignorant to practice very basic health guidelines for the betterment of our country, a minor inconvenience to put on a mask to protect your fellow humans. Funny enough, these are the same people who will complain when things get shut down again. I've never been more ashamed of our country to be quite honest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I mean, just look at that pathetic rally last night. I'm afraid that we'll see more lockdowns in the fall (when the virus will likely flare up again)

I don't think there is going to be a fall second wave. The second wave paradigm is based on the behavior of influenza, which cannot propagate well in warm weather. Warm weather does not appear to bother the transmissibility of CV-19 in any significant way. So the 2nd wave is not going to wait for fall. It has already started and it will just keep burning from summer right through fall until the US populace starts acting to reduce spread.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think there is going to be a fall second wave. The second wave paradigm is based on the behavior of influenza, which cannot propagate well in warm weather. Warm weather does not appear to bother the transmissibility of CV-19 in any significant way. So the 2nd wave is not going to wait for fall. It has already started and it will just keep burning from summer right through fall until the US populace starts acting to reduce spread.

I also am not sure of a second wave.... they had one in 1919 but that was because people did stupid things.  We're not that stupid.  We still have enough people wearing masks where we won't get a repeat of what we saw in Mar-April.  Plus we could see a decrease in regular influenza as people are already social distancing and wearing masks.... we get the flu outbreaks that we do from people operating under "normal" circumstances and we aren't normal and won't be until this goes away one way or another.