chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

I’m going back to work June 15. I work for a chiropractor who normally sees four or five patients per hour using three treatment rooms.  We are seeing one patient every 30 minutes.  I will make the appointments, take the payments, call and verify insurance, pull the cards for the day, make reminder calls, but the doctor offered that he would clean the rooms after each patient, and I’m taking him up on that one. We will wear masks, the patients will wear mask, in one door, out another. Hand sanitizer and of course soap&water aplenty. 😷

I’m going to determine if I can be comfortable with this for now (I think I will be), but when his workload goes back to “normal”, Or if/when NJ’s numbers significantly spike, I’ll reassess.  My boss understands my reasoning, and I appreciate that very much.

• Like 3

I've been to two ENT appointments with my son.... we wore masks.  That was essentially it.  He's been to 3 of those since this all started.  Today we went to get blood drawn.  Two cute girls were doing a pre check before we went in.  I think that was a requirement for the job... they were bubbly.... the kind that say "buh-en" instead of "button", which is a joke I've used before.

Here is some upbeat reporting:

In Italy and across most of Europe, countries have restarted their economies and resumed a degree of socializing without visible signs of the dire health consequences forecast by many. Pan’s northern Italian hospital, ...

.. hadn’t admitted a coronavirus intensive care patient in 12 days.

Virologists from Milan to Berlin have become much more optimistic about Europe’s ability to manage the pandemic and say that, at least through the summer, the continent might have nothing more than localized and hopefully-containable hot spots.

But scientists also readily admit there’s much they don’t know about the idiosyncrasies of this virus. They are still trying to make sense of why it is behaving as it has in Europe and whether those trends will hold — and what the answers might mean for the rest of the world.

Many disease experts say enduring behavioral changes, from hand-washing to mask-wearing, could by themselves be substantially limiting the spread in Europe. They say the continued ban of large-scale events is probably capping the damage wrought by highly contagious people — the “super-spreaders” who account for much of the transmission.

They also say there’s growing evidence that the virus could be proving seasonal — ebbing based on the temperature or other climactic conditions. Though warmer weather doesn’t stop the virus, it can aid in the fight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/06/05/coronavirus-infections-havent-spiked-since-europe-loosened-lockdowns-there-are-many-theories-about-why/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Gee.

where would they get an idea like that?

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In a purely Darwinian sense, they are doing us a favor.

only if they haven't reproduced.

Just got back from my first visit with my dad since March.  Still can't enter the building since assisted living homes are still locked down.  But they are allowing outdoor visits on the patio as long as you social distance and everyone has a mask on.  Today is his birthday so it was nice to have a short visit.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Just got back from my first visit with my dad since March.  Still can't enter the building since assisted living homes are still locked down.  But they are allowing outdoor visits on the patio as long as you social distance and everyone has a mask on.  Today is his birthday so it was nice to have a short visit.  

Very happy for both of you. ❤️

19 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Gee.

where would they get an idea like that?

Chris Cuomo?  Wasn't he the one who was taking chlorox baths?   People are so freaking nutty over this virus.  We are being very cautious, but never have gotten to the point of spraying our clothing, bodies,  mail and grocery sacks with Lysol like some people are.   I had a three pack of the spray, bought for a specific purpose well before the virus.  Still have most of the original can.  The other two, I gave to someone who had a legit need for it when she couldn't find the product.

• Sad 1

Oh, for god’s sakes. Chris Cuomo? Because he has so much influence on people and Trump totally doesn’t? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, smr-nj said:

I’m going back to work June 15. I work for a chiropractor who normally sees four or five patients per hour using three treatment rooms.  We are seeing one patient every 30 minutes.  I will make the appointments, take the payments, call and verify insurance, pull the cards for the day, make reminder calls, but the doctor offered that he would clean the rooms after each patient, and I’m taking him up on that one. We will wear masks, the patients will wear mask, in one door, out another. Hand sanitizer and of course soap&water aplenty. 😷

I’m going to determine if I can be comfortable with this for now (I think I will be), but when his workload goes back to “normal”, Or if/when NJ’s numbers significantly spike, I’ll reassess.  My boss understands my reasoning, and I appreciate that very much.

Good luck, Sue. There's something I don't understand in all of this. Doctor offices, restaurants, and any other business that deals with large numbers of the public are all going to be scaling back. If some of these places had/have a small profit margin, can they actually afford to limit their business? I mean, some places make money by having a busy and fast turnover. How can they make it with social distancing guidelines being followed?

4 hours ago, Melody said:

Chris Cuomo?  Wasn't he the one who was taking chlorox baths?   People are so freaking nutty over this virus.  We are being very cautious, but never have gotten to the point of spraying our clothing, bodies,  mail and grocery sacks with Lysol like some people are.   I had a three pack of the spray, bought for a specific purpose well before the virus.  Still have most of the original can.  The other two, I gave to someone who had a legit need for it when she couldn't find the product.

It came from Donald Trump.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It came from Donald Trump.

It is so self-evident, you’d think wouldn’t actually have to say that. But since inexplicable posts like that one still pop up, I guess we’re always going to have to.

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Good luck, Sue. There's something I don't understand in all of this. Doctor offices, restaurants, and any other business that deals with large numbers of the public are all going to be scaling back. If some of these places had/have a small profit margin, can they actually afford to limit their business? I mean, some places make money by having a busy and fast turnover. How can they make it with social distancing guidelines being followed?

Not going to be easy. Our dentist is a single person practice (+hygenist) in an old converted house and has very little waiting room and very little parking lot. The plan is to space patients enough that they can arrive and stay in their cars until they are called. But he is asking for 48hr cancellation notice and a missed appt fee of $100 because he says if he losses any more appts than that schedule allows, he's toast.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Not going to be easy. Our dentist is a single person practice (+hygenist) in an old converted house and has very little waiting room and very little parking lot. The plan is to space patients enough that they can arrive and stay in their cars until they are called. But he is asking for 48hr cancellation notice and a missed appt fee of $100 because he says if he losses any more appts than that schedule allows, he's toast.

Man, I can't even imagine. I think many restaurants will also struggle. It used to be a mad breakfast rush, lunch rush and dinner rush. If they have to try to make money at 50% capacity, it may mean customers changing their eating habits. Lunch at 2 PM? Sure, if it means less crowds. You have to really feel for the servers, cooks and even the owners. Slim profit margins at full capacity is one thing, trying to make money with limited seating seems almost impossible. As well as people who are too cautious about catching this virus. The entire situation, for every industry,  totally sucks eggs.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It is so self-evident, you’d think wouldn’t actually have to say that. But since inexplicable posts like that one still pop up, I guess we’re always going to have to.

Yeah, I was watching Chris almost every night when he was sick and I don't remember him discussing bleach baths or anything. Actually, he would probably laugh (or be sad) for people who did that.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I was watching Chris almost every night when he was sick and I don't remember him discussing bleach baths or anything. Actually, he would probably laugh (or be sad) for people who did that.

It was a weak attempt at othersiding.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It was a weak attempt at othersiding.

Ohhh...lol. Are the Trumpers actually saying that on twitter? I ventured into a Trump den the other day and had to take a shower. Not to mention losing my appetite. I just don't understand the hatred.

His wife Cristina is a bit of a kook, and did mention adding 1/2 cup of bleach to a bath, which is asinine and definitely not recommend, but let’s be honest —- the people who have been trying to incorporate bleach as a covid defense aren’t being influenced by her, but by the person who got up behind a mic and his presidential podium, and spoke about “injecting bleach”.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

His wife Cristina is a bit of a kook, and did mention adding 1/2 cup of bleach to a bath, which is asinine and definitely not recommend, but let’s be honest —- the people who have been trying to incorporate bleach as a covid defense aren’t being influenced by her, but by the person who got up behind a mic and his presidential podium, and spoke about “injecting bleach”.

image.png.8c83ce9111437c42a0b93ff821bd8190.png