chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

His whole thread is a good and fair takedown of some of the more scorching takes on Gerogia's reopening, but the data in the graph here kinda shows that even in the most expansive reopening, the actual recovery in hours is still pretty sluggish.

right.  but what does the graph look like with a continuous lockdown into july?

right now you have a lot of business that are closing for good, but many are still open on life support.  if the lockdown is continued into july you will have a lot more than tourism and retail that go completely out of business.  then you will see that curve nosedive.

and yes, it will be determined by consumer behavior, but i think the consumer will go out again with masks, etc.  will buy non amazon things.  will return to at least a modicum of consumer behavior.  with a continuous lockdown that will not happen.  

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting we can't open up retail soon.... 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

its hard to find people and opinions you trust on the internet.

Not really. I'm easily found here. ?

58 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Oh, I agree. But it's not going to be like flipping a switch and everything goes back to the way it was. People aren't going to fly, fill up stadiums and do many, many other things they want to or used to do. And these folks protesting are in for a shock when many of them realize they no longer have jobs to even go back to. I'm sure Trump is ready to blame every governor of the blue states. And he may even get some of his base to agree with him. The problem, for him, is that many of us know better.

I'm pretty sure that was one of the key ideas behind pushing off everything onto the states: when anything goes wrong or numbers tick back up after reopening, he can hammer them on it while campaigning.

34 minutes ago, Buddha said:

right.  but what does the graph look like with a continuous lockdown into july?

There isn't going to be a continuous lockdown into July. So I'm not sure the point of debating it.

34 minutes ago, Buddha said:

and yes, it will be determined by consumer behavior, but i think the consumer will go out again with masks, etc.  

Will consumers above a certain age (say 60) go out again with masks? The immunocompromised? 

That's the thing, when you argue that "people are going to go back", you're already starting from a standpoint where some percentage of consumers (upwards of 20-25%) who are likely to remain quarantined after things open up. Then you get into the folks who, for better or worse, are going to continue curbing their behavior.... are they going to want to go out to restaurants and bars or movie theaters if they lack confidence in the measures put in place?

I'm not sure we disagree all that much on the issue overall at this point; certainly I'm realistic that things are going to open back up. I just don't know that Governors declaring everything open is gonna result in an Oklahoma Land Rush of business activity based on consumer behaviors, even in states that have let up on restrictions.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's not the one I was thinking of. When you said washing machine, I was thinking of the little Maytag shop on Van ****. There is a used appliance store by it but unrelated that I went to when I first moved here. Guy seemed like he would typical Trumper today. Warned me about going to places on 8 Mile so I went down to 8 Mile and got a washer and dryer from a used appliance store. 10 years later and they're still working fine. 

That will never not be funny.

• Like 1

This friend is in the appliance parts business.... the agitator in a washing machine is commonly referred to in certain communities as a 'whooper'.... because it 'whoops' the clothes around.  He laughs every time he hears it.... for 30 years.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, VegasTiger said:

That will never not be funny.

You know the neighborhood has gone downhill when the street names are censored.

29 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There isn't going to be a continuous lockdown into July. So I'm not sure the point of debating it.

Will consumers above the age of certain age (say 60) go out again with masks? The immunocompromised? 

That's the thing, when you argue that "people are going to go back", you're already starting from a standpoint where some percentage of consumers (upwards of 20-25%) who are likely to remain quarantined after things open up. Then you get into the folks who, for better or worse, are going to continue curbing their behavior.... are they going to want to go out to restaurants and bars or movie theaters if they lack confidence in the measures put in place?

I'm not sure we disagree all that much on the issue overall at this point; certainly I'm realistic that things are going to open back up. I just don't know that Governors declaring everything open is gonna result in an Oklahoma Land Rush of business activity based on consumer behaviors, even in states that have let up on restrictions.

LA County has stated that they expect to be locked down through July.  i think that is a bit extreme considering what is happening in europe.

there is so much we dont know at the moment so its hard to say.  europe could re-explode and send everyone back into our caves.  

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

LA County has stated that they expect to be locked down through July.  i think that is a bit extreme considering what is happening in europe.

there is so much we dont know at the moment so its hard to say.  europe could re-explode and send everyone back into our caves.  

Russia is still in exponential growth - it could still get much worse there. What does Putin do faced with that?

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Russia is still in exponential growth - it could still get much worse there. What does Putin do faced with that?

Putin doesn't care. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Putin doesn't care. 

pulled up some reading about Russia today - consensus seems to be that domestic problems bore him. There is another view that he knows the Government infrastructure he sits atop really has very little effective capacity to deal with something like a public health crises so he has done what he can to put the responsibility at the state/regional level where it can then be deniable from Moscow. (sound familiar?)

You know the neighborhood has gone downhill when the street names are censored.

At first I thought it was Van Born. Then I realized it must be Van Dike. With a y.

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

we do.  but we wont have one for another year.

this lockdown cannot be continued for another year.  life must go on at some point.

Without a competent strategy we are doomed to revert back to worrying about number of ICU beds.  People are just opening with minimal precautions in places.  I propose indefinite lockdown until said competent strategy is in place. No dine in services, universal masks, all beaches closed, no sports (even without fans), etc.  it’s a harsh reality.  But it is reality. Summer might be ok, but if we go into flu season with this haphazard approach you can forget about any normal life until 2022. 

Putin doesn't care. 

It's much, much easier to contain a virus in a communist country. Just test everyone and use a bullet to stop the transmission. Just dig a big hole.....

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

They walked back some of these orders. They say they were misunderstood;

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

They walked back some of these orders. They say they were misunderstood;

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

CA has interesting numbers. This pattern could be the 2nd strain of the virus appearing after effect of the 1st was on its way down - or it could  just be the effect of different regions kicking in  - can't tell from the aggregate but curious

image.png.d6b654719d2641ab17c1b2db35850a66.png

Gov. Walz in MN just announced that bars and restaurants can open June 1st.  He has said the whole time he will follow the data.  Data says things in MN are getting worse.  Yet the stay at home order will end on May 18th.  

Americans had a hill to climb, got about half way there, decided it was too hard and then quit and turned around.  Summer will breed complacency and then the fall and winter will see disastrous results.   So unfortunate.  All of it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What does Greta Thunberg have to add to the COVID discussion?  A unique perspective because her age?

They have done this like 12 weeks in a row.  Different guests every time.  Nice to change it up.  Greta has proven herself to be a critical thinker on a national stage.   

Surely there are lots of people who are critical thinkers that have more expertise.

You should be on there before her, frankly.

I don't care one way or the other, but I think that was Melody's issue with it.  That's what jumped out to me, at least.

Greta is from Sweden who has taken a different approach to COVID than most European countries. Maybe she'll give insight into Sweden's response? Either way, I expect Twitter rage from Trump and once again a 16 year showing more maturity and intellect than a 73 year old president.