chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

32 minutes ago, Buddha said:

then why not cleveland?  or atlanta?

los angeles is as dense as detroit (probably more dense in some parts) and, yes, people take the bus in LA too and there are some very poor parts of LA.

there is just not one theory that seems to fit, imo.

could be the use of factories, but i dont know how many more people in detroit work in factories anymore than other places in the country.

its probably the bad luck of having a number of travelers from china that acted to spread the virus to airline passengers, hotel workers, and then the bad luck of having them spread the virus to the more vulnerable large poor black population in detroit.

i think much of it, in hindsight, will be down to the bad luck of having a "super spreader" send it to vulnerable, social people who then spread it.  it could be as simple as that.

I think this is it. I think you need multiple things to be true to create this exponential surge that we saw in some places but not in others. You need a handful of super-spreader events and some kind of infrastructure where the infected from such an event can multiply. And from a timing perspective, that confluence of things had to happen at a time prior to everyone becoming aware of the reality. 

There are probably a number of other similarly situated cities like Detroit that didn’t have those factors occur early during this pandemic, and now maybe they won’t given the general awareness. 

****, right before MI/Detroit had its surge, the entire state was out voting. And in Detroit, I would bet that precincts were a bit more crowded. There were a number of large scale events/rallies leading up to that election.

I think there are plenty of other cities with a lot of manufacturing, but do those cities also have the same demographics and a built in day where thousands within the community were gathering. 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

trump is an idiot.  ignore him.

why would anyone want fauci to testify before congress?  you know what that will be.  it will be every republican senator making statements that support trump and saying this was inevitable and that trump listened to fauci, and then every democrat making statements that this is the worst thing to happen in the history of america (until the next hearing) and that if joe biden were president we would have zero deaths and its all trump's fault.

yes, trump is a liar and says stupid **** no respectable president would ever say.  yes, he is subverting our process for his own political gain.  but i cringe at the thought of congress "questioning" fauci in what will only be a huge show designed only for congresspersons to get their favorite soundbytes on cnn or fox or twitter for the next week.

I agree. Just a place for these hot air blowhards to blow hot air...hard.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

westchester county is in new york.

im sure the subway (and the trains) played a big role in nyc.

Westchester County, New York. Especially New Rochelle. They are served by the suburban trains that basically everyone who lives there has to take if they live in the city, since it's practically impossible to commute to Manhattan by car.

The NYC Subway system goes into Jersey.

Let’s also not forget that New York has some of the strictest gun laws in the country leaving many people unprotected against the virus.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Let’s also not forget that New York has some of the strictest gun laws in the country leaving many people unprotected against the virus.  

They need to protect their families! 

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

?

Detroit being a Delta Hub. Does that affect anything? Two big schools on spring break when the **** hit the fan? Just throwing stuff at the walls.

14 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Detroit being a Delta Hub. Does that affect anything? Two big schools on spring break when the **** hit the fan? Just throwing stuff at the walls.

yes and yes

53 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Something for all of you sports fans to think about;

20200506_175652.thumb.jpg.70358237d95525dc05d302caa62b9e32.jpg

Yeah, wow, mind blown. 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

There were daily flights coming in from China until Mid February, I think that’s when they stopped. I volunteer(ed) there until they suspended the Ambassador Program in mid March. The flights from China and Korea probably generated the most traffic at the information booths. Folks looking for their next gate. Plus you have a lot of auto related traffic to China. Military coming thru from Japan.

i was in the Mac for a trip in Mid March and the place looked like a ghost town. This was the day before they closed the sit down restaurants. No lines at TSA, very strange. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Because essential workers are not entertaining.  

Very few can OPS above 750?

damn totally never occurred to me that entertainers make more than essential workers i have no idea why that would be teachers make less too

Athletes have a skill most don't posses. Let's be honest, these essential workers in grocery stores are low skilled workers. Someone like Lebron James could work circles around the average stocker if he wanted to. 

17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, wow, mind blown. 

Well, when you look at the bright side,  I've watched 2 Piston Championship games, 2 Red Wing Championship games, 2 Tiger Championship games, a Mark Fidrych complete game against the Yankees and tonight is Verlander's 1st no-hitter. Tell me how good any of the current Detroit teams are doing? The only thing missing...lmao...is a Lions Super Bowl win. Lol

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Athletes have a skill most don't posses. Let's be honest, these essential workers in grocery stores are low skilled workers. Someone like Lebron James could work circles around the average stocker if he wanted to. 

Just because someone is a great athlete doesn't mean he'd be a better stocker than an average person.  Physically, he'd be stronger and can reach higher, but that doesn't mean he could do the job way better than anyone else.  Obviously, a stocker can't ever be like him which is part of the reason James makes so much.  The bigger reason is that Americans are willing to spend a lot of money on entertainment.   Personally, I don't think anyone deserves to make what he makes, but that's how it is.  I'd rather see him get it than the owners make even more.  

I'd wager a good amount of money that a generational athlete who happens to be tall and strong and freakishly dexterous would make a better stocker given the same amount of time / exposure to the job.

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Just because someone is a great athlete doesn't mean he'd be a better stocker than an average person.  Physically, he'd be stronger and can reach higher, but that doesn't mean he could do the job way better than anyone else.  Obviously, a stocker can't ever be like him which is part of the reason James makes so much.  The bigger reason is that Americans are willing to spend a lot of money on entertainment.   Personally, I don't think anyone deserves to make what he makes, but that's how it is.  I'd rather see him get it than the owners make even more.  

Motivation may not be there, but a lot of these athletes get where they are through elite work ethic.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Motivation may not be there, but a lot of these athletes get where they are through elite work ethic.

Most of them wouldn't make it without the elite natural talent though.  For example, I have known a few elite runners and most of them do indeed work incredibly hard.  I know others who work just as hard or harder and they become very good runners, but never become elite.  There is also the matter of being able to stay healthy which is a skill that not everyone has.      

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Westchester County, New York. Especially New Rochelle. They are served by the suburban trains that basically everyone who lives there has to take if they live in the city, since it's practically impossible to commute to Manhattan by car.

The NYC Subway system goes into Jersey.

To paraphrase Yogi: It's impossible to commute to Manhattan, too many cars.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd wager a good amount of money that a generational athlete who happens to be tall and strong and freakishly dexterous would make a better stocker given the same amount of time / exposure to the job.

I will put it another way.  If he put everything into it, he would probably be good but I think there there are millions of people who can be good stockers and I don't think diminishing returns would allow him to run circles around other stockers.