chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

17 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I took great pleasure in burning it

It should help with that TP shortage. 

This is almost as disturbing as nuts with guns...

Teach your children well.....

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Soo... my grandmother's retirement home in Michigan is in the midst of an outbreak... At least 4% of the residents and a higher percentage of the staff have tested positive.

If any of those positives in any way trace back to those dumb ****s protesting, they can use those rifles on themselves for all I care.

Tracing is so incredibly hard. Think about 2 full weeks of no lockdown. Everyone you were in contact for 2 full weeks. And then everyone they were in contact with. It would be hundreds of people, maybe even thousands if you deal with the public in your job.

Granted, it's easier with us being self-isolated. In the last 2 weeks, I can count on 2 hands the people I've had direct contact with. Indirectly? A lady came and delivered groceries, Schwan's delivered food, a bank teller, a friend who sat out on my deck with me, several times. We were both masked and more than 6 feet apart. Oh, and 3 or 4 people at the local hardware store when I went to buy a new toilet flapper. But in a regular 2 week period,  I would probably have been in contact with 100+ people.

I didn't know they had a protest today. What day last week was the 1st one? I suspect some of those cases are showing up between now and the next few weeks. Those fools may have extended the very thing that they were protesting. Darwin at work. I feel bad for innocent people like your grandmother who will be affected by those idiots actions.

2 hours ago, jaymo said:

If you can take high-capacity, rapid-fire rifles legally into a discount department store or grocery store you should be able to take them into the state capitol.

(You really shouldn't be able to do either but legislators need to really believe in an individual right to bear arms or not).

But they had been ordered to stay at home. I guess it's a first amendment issue, free speech and the right to assemble. But wouldn't they still need permits to protest?

51 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Tracing is so incredibly hard. Think about 2 full weeks of no lockdown. Everyone you were in contact for 2 full weeks. And then everyone they were in contact with. It would be hundreds of people, maybe even thousands if you deal with the public in your job.

Granted, it's easier with us being self-isolated. In the last 2 weeks, I can count on 2 hands the people I've had direct contact with. Indirectly? A lady came and delivered groceries, Schwan's delivered food, a bank teller, a friend who sat out on my deck with me, several times. We were both masked and more than 6 feet apart. Oh, and 3 or 4 people at the local hardware store when I went to buy a new toilet flapper. But in a regular 2 week period,  I would probably have been in contact with 100+ people.

I didn't know they had a protest today. What day last week was the 1st one? I suspect some of those cases are showing up between now and the next few weeks. Those fools may have extended the very thing that they were protesting. Darwin at work. I feel bad for innocent people like your grandmother who will be affected by those idiots actions.

I saw one estimate that the US would need to hire 300,000 people to set up a full epid tracing capability for Covid. I have no idea if that is accurate but it feels in the ballpark.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

that's truly unbelievable.

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's wrong about deaths per million of course.  There is nothing "very strong" about those USA numbers at all.  Worldometers.com .

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

But they had been ordered to stay at home. I guess it's a first amendment issue, free speech and the right to assemble. But wouldn't they still need permits to protest?

The second amendment now means and individual right to bear arms. 
The first amendment now means if you believe or pretend to believe certain special stories you can ignore laws you don’t like. 
Why not interpret “peaceably assemble” as assemble with high-capacity rifles?

I’m not even sure what we get out of the empire anymore other than open borders. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

When will the media say it?

Radical WHITE Terrorism.

That is what these guys are. Terrorists.

Considering that about 50 years ago a Republican Governor in California got his panties in a wad and pushed for gun control because a bunch of Panthers showed up on the state capitol steps with (gulp) guns....

3 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Why doesn't he just write STUPID on his forehead?

He doesn't know how to spell it.

I had a pretty disappointing text exchange with a few friends who think Whitmer sucks, the display in the capitol was her fault because she has over-reacted and COVID numbers are only inflated because hospitals are lying because they want that sweet, sweet COVID money from the guvment.  Oh, one of the guys' wives is in health care, and according to him, she says her hospital didn't let someone go home who tested positive and wouldn't allow a second test? because they wanted to keep the patient in care to keep collecting money (how she would know that, I don't know), so this proves this is a hospital scam.

I am bummed.

From one corner of the inside....

My work on COVID is slowly starting to wind down (been going hard since 12 March) and may actually sunset by about 10-12 May.....for now. Every bit of modeling I have been privy to suggests this thing is coming back hard and I'll have to reengage, and then we'll walk away and it will likely happen again. All of our planning right now centers on how we draw down without compromising our ability to react quickly in a month, two months, or six months.

This sucks. Having to plan to keep doing this at some unknown future date, all while trying to do my normal job, trying to play teacher, trying to give my wife space to do her part to keep her three person small business alive, and trying to find time to focus on me and keep my sh** straight so I can be ready....

• Sad 2

This is a hospital scam?  Really?

You know what, I thought we were kind of just kind of ****** right now as a country, but maybe we are more likely just absolutely ******.

There is a tipping point, beyond which society can not recover from the percentage of idiots that are in it.

1 minute ago, Charles Liston said:

There is a tipping point, beyond which society can not recover from the percentage of idiots that are in it.

Y'all got room up there?

People are dying, it just is overblown because hospitals are over-reporting deaths that are due to COVID

The argument:

1. CDC guidelines call for classifying all deaths COVID related if the patient tested positive, even if they had pre-existing conditions.  Some nations allow the hospital to list the pre-existing condition as the cause of death if they choose to.  

- Clearly some deaths are being assigned to COVID that were truly due to something else.

2. Hospitals get more per COVID patient on medicaid per the CARES act, ergo hospitals have a financial incentive to characterize patents and deaths as COVID-related so as to collect the maximum amount of money.

- Clearly some hospitals are financially motivated

3. Friend's wife claims her hospital isn't letting people out easily after they test positive (huh, can't imagine why), therefore we are both under-stating how many people are fully recovered and this observation supports the claim hospitals are playing the system because they  are keeping people in their care longer than necessary to keep collecting money.

- Where there is smoke, there is fire.

There was a bunch of Whitmer sucks crap in the exchange as well, but that was run of the mill partisan sniping, so whatevs.

13 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

"Was" my friend. That's a definite "was"

• Like 1

Interesting piece in the NYT about vaccine development efforts. With the entire population trying to suppress the spread of the disease, conventional vaccine trials based on how many people come down with the disease naturally in vaccine vs control groups may be extremely inefficient so it raises the question of whether human challenge testing should/could/can be done. If you were young and healthy, in a low risk group, would you volunteer to be infected in order to speed vaccine development?  For comparison the risk would probably be much lower than say -  donating a kidney. 

As a matter of history, Jenner did deliberately expose a young boy to smallpox to test his cowpox vaccine, which was totally outrageous, yet saved millions of lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/30/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-covid.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Trump claims he has information that ODNI does not on the origin of the virus. 

This will be an exhibit we show our kids when they ask us why so many people died.