chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

WHat I miss right now, besides the day to day stuff I mentioned before like running and socializing with friends at the gym.....

playoff hockey.  Even without the wings it was nice to know that in April I could sit down after the wife and youngest were in bed and watch a west coast game on channel 9.  

Play-off hockey is the ****.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My family misses it too.  Even the dog.  (She actually watches it for some reason.  Maybe all the motion on the screen?)

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I noticed it last week because someone shared the video of Vladdie'***** on Hawerchuk and Bob COle's great call... so then I found a Best of Bob Cole... and that was it...

The guy I go to baseball games with is not the healthiest individual. 2 near fatal heart attacks.  Still smokes, "but just 2 a day now".   During the season he won't eat anything from the time I pick him up until I drop him off.  Will have 4 or 5 beers at the game.  Then on the way home we stop at his party store and he'll get a package of hot dogs or some ****, then a 6 pack of beer..... because there's a late hockey game on.  I'm ready to go to bed and he's just getting started.

One year, like 2011 or so, the Wings were playing one of the west coast teams.  At Comerica they had that bar in the upper deck area in RF. After the Tiger game ended we went in there to watch the Wings.  They closed off the door to the park but let us stay in there.  It was the last game before a road trip so they were getting rid of their chips and salsa.  As long as we got beer they kept bringing out the chips and salsa.  It was great.... a Tuesday night in April or May and we're doing that...

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't know why, but the play-offs jumps bumps it up in a way that I don't perceive in other sports.

Seems like every game is 2-1.....

It is also noticeably faster and tighter.

Maybe it is as simple as it is possible for coaches / teams to focus on a single strategy to address an opponent and work match-ups in a way that just isn't possible when you are playing 3 different teams in 7 nights?  Or guys simply give a little more effort?

On the Debbie Downer side, I was watching an early round play-off game last year and commented to my friend it was clear the Red Wings are like 6 F, 4 D and a goalie away from being able to hang.

• Haha 1

I think playoff baseball is better. You see things you wouldn't see during the regular season like Max Scherzer or Anibal Sanchez coming out of the bullpen. 

It's the state's job to procure things like ventilators but it's the federal government's job to tell the mean governors to open their economies back up. 

Still no option for "gig workers" to apply for unemployment in NV. They says they received instructions from the federal government on the 5th of April. I'm doing alright but a lot of my friends are really struggling.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

On the Debbie Downer side, I was watching an early round play-off game last year and commented to my friend it was clear the Red Wings are like 6 F, 4 D and a goalie away from being able to hang.

And a (ducks)....coach?

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I guess my question is whether they are recording the specific symptoms as a cause of death for statistical purposes.  Like on the death certificate and/or whatever reporting they might do to government authorities keeping track of such things.  Seems like it would be relevant some way.

Yes, I was thinking that too. Like if you die from a virus that has been declared a pandemic, your life insurance policy would be void? It's amazing we haven't heard from insurance companies going broke.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I saw something today about juvenile and child patients exhibiting with lesions on the soles of their feet.  Similar to chickenpox before the pustules form.  Odd.

I heard about the low blood oxygen part but not about the lesions on kids feet. It's probably just the kids, they can be pretty gross...lol

56 minutes ago, Melody said:

My family misses it too.  Even the dog.  (She actually watches it for some reason.  Maybe all the motion on the screen?)

My cat used to love The Animal Planet;

DSC09811.thumb.JPG.c7e22cb7030b0677d17514e643e5e033.JPG

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And a (ducks)....coach?

I don't even know if he is good or not.

He has very little to work with.

But he is ostensibly gone, so whatever.

30 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Mike DeWine and Larry Hogan are the “radical left”?

Just imagine how bad it would be if Trump were politicizing this crisis ... you know, like the Democrats are.

34 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Mike DeWine and Larry Hogan are the “radical left”?

I like to imagine him in his whiny voices complaining to nobody in particular, 'it's like they expect me to do my job!'

47 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think playoff baseball is better. You see things you wouldn't see during the regular season like Max Scherzer or Anibal Sanchez coming out of the bullpen. 

See, I think baseball managers generally over-manage the **** out of play-off games which usually only serves to make them much longer without being any more exciting.

But there are certainly examples where short term strategies made for exciting moments.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It is also noticeably faster and tighter.

Maybe it is as simple as it is possible for coaches / teams to focus on a single strategy to address an opponent and work match-ups in a way that just isn't possible when you are playing 3 different teams in 7 nights?  Or guys simply give a little more effort?

My only beef with playoff hockey comes when the refs decide to swallow their whistles and guys start getting mugged. Nothing like the issue it once was but that had me so down on game I got almost completely away from it for a number of years.

Should we organize a road trip to go watch a movie in an open Georgia theater?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, I was thinking that too. Like if you die from a virus that has been declared a pandemic, your life insurance policy would be void? It's amazing we haven't heard from insurance companies going broke.

They're not going broke.  There have been about 42,000 deaths attributed to the coronavirus in this country.  And that is probably overstated in the sense of those being "extra" deaths, because many of the deceased were elderly with other serious medical conditions, and some doctors have said that they have been instructed to be overinclusive in listing COVID-19 as the cause of death.

But even if the entire 42,000 are really coronavirus deaths, before this outbreak an average of almost 8000 people died every day in this country -- about 2.7 or 2.8 million a year.  So the 42,000 represents, at most, five or six days' worth of extra deaths.  A terrible number,  to be sure, but not likely anywhere near enough to bankrupt life insurance companies.

I am surprised at how little I am missing spectator sports.  I miss baseball, but definitely would have missed it more a few years ago.  Yesterday was Greek Easter.  Today is Boston marathon day (I would have been a spectator not a participant), which are normally big days for me, but I hardly even noticed because every day is the same now.  The one thing I really really miss is hiking in the mountains of New Hampshire which had become an almost weekly event.  The spectator stuff will always be there, but the ability to stay active decreases with time, so I feel like I am running low on prime years.