Jump to content

chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Recommended Posts


14 minutes ago, Melody said:

These governors could have arranged to have it done it to start with instead of mandating existing facilities to receive contagious patients.  And many did, in other states.

In fact counties did as well.  Dallas set up one, using federal funds, but it didn't end up being needed.

 

maybe some could, maybe some had worse options. It's questionable to assume any governor anywhere could just make such facility options appear in their states where they were needed within weeks when the whole country can't even get organized to make N95 masks or hospital gowns in several months now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Related:

 

Well, it is news, and it's visual, and it does pertain to the hottest topic of the day and the lightning-rod president overseeing it all.

It's a quandary for the news organizations, at least the above-board operations. Their job is to cover news as it breaks, and this definitely qualifies, but their coverage also runs the risk of making the protests not only look bigger and more prevalent than they really are, but also making them look glamorous to a certain segment of the population and spurring participation among them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that when the Founding Fathers contemplated the concept of "tyranny", banning the purchase of Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed was top of their minds.

bb0f8917-ad4f-459b-8ac3-c5d02f48cecd-Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Related:

 

I really don't understand why some are having conniption fits over Abbott's "loosening," plan.  It is really very modest and involves very little risk.  It isn't like he's announced that we are returning to business as usual in our state on May 1st (or whatever the date was).  

Went to Target yesterday for a few grocery items.  It was a lot more crowded than it has been.  Not that many masks being worn either compared to a week or so ago.  (Losing track of time a bit.).    Not a particular identifiable demographic either.   I'm noticing an increase in traffic on 30 over here as well, at least on the small portion I travel right now.  No matter how they are polling, I can only judge by observable behaviors.  Though stimulus funds burning a hole in pockets could have been a bit of a factor.  But that's only a guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Melody said:

I really don't understand why some are having conniption fits over Abbott's "loosening," plan.  It is really very modest and involves very little risk.  It isn't like he's announced that we are returning to business as usual in our state on May 1st (or whatever the date was).  

Went to Target yesterday for a few grocery items.  It was a lot more crowded than it has been.  Not that many masks being worn either compared to a week or so ago.  (Losing track of time a bit.).    Not a particular identifiable demographic either.   I'm noticing an increase in traffic on 30 over here as well, at least on the small portion I travel right now.  No matter how they are polling, I can only judge by observable behaviors.  Though stimulus funds burning a hole in pockets could have been a bit of a factor.  But that's only a guess.

two weeks ago i went to my grocery store and no employees had masks or gloves.  i went this past friday and every employee had masks and gloves.

two weeks ago, maybe 40% of the customers had masks, this last friday it was closer to 75%.

i see a lot more people wearing masks now than in the past week.  still not close to 100%, but a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Melody said:

I really don't understand why some are having conniption fits over Abbott's "loosening," plan.  It is really very modest and involves very little risk.  It isn't like he's announced that we are returning to business as usual in our state on May 1st (or whatever the date was).  

Went to Target yesterday for a few grocery items.  It was a lot more crowded than it has been.  Not that many masks being worn either compared to a week or so ago.  (Losing track of time a bit.).    Not a particular identifiable demographic either.   I'm noticing an increase in traffic on 30 over here as well, at least on the small portion I travel right now.  No matter how they are polling, I can only judge by observable behaviors.  Though stimulus funds burning a hole in pockets could have been a bit of a factor.  But that's only a guess.

I went to Costco on Saturday, at least 75% of the people there were wearing masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

two weeks ago i went to my grocery store and no employees had masks or gloves.  i went this past friday and every employee had masks and gloves.

two weeks ago, maybe 40% of the customers had masks, this last friday it was closer to 75%.

i see a lot more people wearing masks now than in the past week.  still not close to 100%, but a lot more.

This is what I've seen as well.... Costco and a run to Kroger last week kinda showed that. Plus Plexiglas everywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I've definitely been seeing a lot more masks on people as well.  About 2 weeks ago or so I almost felt out of place when I was wearing mine at Meijer or Krogers, now the vast majority of customers I see have them.    Went through a Mcdonald's drive thru the other day for the first time since this all started and I noticed that they had protective glass across the whole window other than just a little room at the bottom to for you to pay.   Not sure if all fast food places are doing that too but I thought that was a nice feature.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gloves are kind of useless IMO.... the point of a glove is a one time use thing.  If you have a glove on and are touching everything, then you are contaminating everything with whatever is on your glove.  No different than a hand.  

I felt bad for not wearing a mask the other day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is what I've seen as well.... Costco and a run to Kroger last week kinda showed that. Plus Plexiglas everywhere

They had added the plexiglass since I was last in the Target. My cashier wasn't wearing gloves or a masks, and not that many shoppers were either.  Last trip most of the shoppers (and there weren't many of them) were masked.  It was more crowded this time.    That's why I thought the stimulus checks might be a factor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Gloves are kind of useless IMO.... the point of a glove is a one time use thing.  If you have a glove on and are touching everything, then you are contaminating everything with whatever is on your glove.  No different than a hand.  

I felt bad for not wearing a mask the other day. 

 

I'd been making my husband sit in the car while I go into the stores.  LOL. He enjoys at least getting out and driving his truck.  But he wanted to go into Target yesterday, so agreed to wear a mask to please me.  Then griped about it the whole time. 

I agree on the gloves.  Have a few in the glove box, but they are only used when pumping gas.  And I've done that for years so that I don't have to smell gas on my hands until I can get to a sink to wash them. (A pro tip from my grandmother.  LOL)  Works as well for hand cooties, I guess.  But it is thrown away right then and there after use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were out Friday evening for the first time in about two weeks. Most of our groceries were from Gordon Foods. It's one of the very few places we've found where you don't have to wait forever to pick up. Got most of what we needed although we now have an over abundance of yellow mustard. Did a quick run by to the Kroger in Wixom and was surprised it wasn't very crowded. Fairly well stocked except it looked like they had a run on frozen, waffles and pancakes, I liked the one way aisles. The self checkout was wiped down after every customer. Most everyone in there was wearing masks.

I was a bit concerned about picking up a small cart from outside. Don't have gloves but do own a dog. I always carry a pocketful of small sandwich bags. They seem to work well enough to get home and wash my hands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

The numbers aren't tanking, and his approval rating is NOT the highest it's been. You were both wrong. The bickering of semantics is silly. 

It's basically still the same 43% or so that have approved him from day 1.  It has remained remarkably consistent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our forefathers fought and died so this dude could get unlimited refills on his sweet ice tea

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I miss sitting in a restaurant as well.  My husband and I were talking about that last night as we sat at home eating sandwiches from a drive-through we picked up on our way home from Target.  But that isn't to say we want the decision to reopen dining rooms hurried, just that we miss eating out at our favorite restaurants.  And hope they can survive the shutdown so we can enjoy them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oblong said:

Read a thing today by a doctor that highlights the use of the work "peak" could be misleading.... it's not "The peak", it's "a peak".   I'm sure that's common sense for us but these jabronis out protesting are in for a surprise.

But even for the general public who doesn't absorb all of this each day.... it could be a real downer.  

I'm tired of reading about the latest news regarding this test or that test "showing promise" in terms of testing for it, testing for antibodies, or testing fro treatment.  We don't know.  The only thing we do know is this is far more contagious than we thought.    I don't really care what the death rate is or how it compares to other diseases.... our hospitals are full and they don't have enough PPE to properly care for them.  Until that's settled it's all moot.

 

On a slightly brighter note, apparently the university of Michigan hospital is “slow” right now. St Joe’s is a bit more busy, but not close to overwhelmed or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss slipping into the pub on a Sunday afternoon for a beer while out running errands. 
 

I did pickups from target and ace yesterday. Never got out of the car. That’s a type of outing that would often be coupled with a beer while watching whatever sport happened to be on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Melody said:

To be fair, I miss sitting in a restaurant as well.  My husband and I were talking about that last night as we sat at home eating sandwiches from a drive-through we picked up on our way home from Target.  But that isn't to say we want the decision to reopen dining rooms hurried, just that we miss eating out at our favorite restaurants.  And hope they can survive the shutdown so we can enjoy them again.

I really miss certain patios around town, in particular. Sitting out and having a few margs or beers before it hits 105 degrees.

This is probably the best time of the year around here (although fall is great too), and yeah, it's gonna be wasted on COVID-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took a drive on the Strip yesterday. They've got it all torn up and re-surfacing. Seems like a good time for that. On the bright side, this is coming right along.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...