chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

3 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

How this will impact the food service industry is an under discussed point. 

The amount of people who work these jobs and could be out of work with little to no savings could be devastating. Not to mention the protocols and standards that might need to be enforced that could be catastrophic for some small businesses. 

We usually have 2 per day and they are small businesses, not chains.   I like it because it's places all over the area.  We had a soul food guy come in that has a place on Telegraph and Grand River.  He had banana budding and I mentioned only having that when my mom cooks it since she's from the south.  he asked where, I told him TN, he asked what city, I said Cookeville... and it turns out he lived there for 5 years.

street tacos are also a good choice.   

So not only the restaurant owners but also the farmers that provide....

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I feel for her. I'm older too and while I'm worried we'll end up like Italy, there's not much we can do. It's those young people spreading it around. When they get it, they get just a bit sick. And then say "it's no big deal, only a hoax".

Not if I could just keep them off of my lawn......

I think you and I are pretty close to the same age.  Mom is in her 80s.   I'm living life as normal.  Handwashing and sanitizing gel are part of my normal routine year around, but especially diligent during the flu season.    I think I would be less likely to travel at the present time.  But so far, no alterations to what is normal for us.   Probably will wait until this is better contained before buying baseball tickets.  But we are going to restaurants, the grocery store, etc. like we always do.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

From a former Trump Homeland Security Advisor...

Now it's only 10 days until our hospitals are overrun, not May 8th. I wish all these "experts" would get their story straight. The MSM is usually much more on message than this. 

31 minutes ago, Melody said:

I think you and I are pretty close to the same age.  Mom is in her 80s.   I'm living life as normal.  Handwashing and sanitizing gel are part of my normal routine year around, but especially diligent during the flu season.    I think I would be less likely to travel at the present time.  But so far, no alterations to what is normal for us.   Probably will wait until this is better contained before buying baseball tickets.  But we are going to restaurants, the grocery store, etc. like we always do.

Yeah, I agree with all of this except restaurants. We all know the cooks and waiters/waitresses get no sick pay. Many of them live week to week. They can't miss work. So they have to show up if they're sick. No, I'll be taking my meals at home for the next couple/few weeks.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

if it's no different then why are Italy's hospitals overrun with patients?

Maybe because they have 1/6th the number of hospitals that we have? 

News from France though....if the smurf rally was being held today, it wouldn't be allowed to proceed. Even though the mayor says "we can't stop living" (where have I heard that before). 

https://news.yahoo.com/french-mayor-defends-smurf-rally-outcry-over-virus-001955753.html

3 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Now it's only 10 days until our hospitals are overrun, not May 8th. I wish all these "experts" would get their story straight. The MSM is usually much more on message than this. 

I guess we'll see what happens. Not sure where the May 8th date came from. But I hope the best for you and yours Stan, even if our politics don't align.

5 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Maybe because they have 1/6th the number of hospitals that we have? 

maybe because they have approx 1/6th the population we have?

do you actually try?  I hope not

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

maybe because they have approx 1/6th the population we have?

do you actually try?  I hope not

he doesn't do the maths.... he already proved that.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I agree with all of this except restaurants. We all know the cooks and waiters/waitresses get no sick pay. Many of them live week to week. They can't miss work. So they have to show up if they're sick. No, I'll be taking my meals at home for the next couple/few weeks.

Coincidentally, I just read that the Darden restaurants have just announced that they are adding sick pay to their benefits for hourly employees.  (Olive Garden, Cheddars, Capital Grille, Eddie V's, others.).

Edit:  Adding link to the article I read.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/darden-restaurants-is-offering-paid-sick-leave-to-all-employees-amid-coronavirus-outbreak.html?fbclid=IwAR1qsMZPgsdpPCMaV-Jq3rMMn-afklLaFdioO33Mti8bmxwNgDxPcu0i8IE

So...unless somebody comes up with a vaccine, we'll be facing this virus on a yearly basis, our bodies don't build up an immunity to it if we're exposed. Wouldn't it be something if another country develops a vaccine first? And will the virus mutate, as most do? That could make a vaccine developed this year totally ineffective next year. Those viruses are smart little buggers...

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I own three restaurants and we have always provided sick pay.  We will also be paying employees if we have to shut down.  It will only be about 25% of their normal pay and it might not last more than a month or so, but it's something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Melody said:

Coincidentally, I just read that the Darden restaurants have just announced that they are adding sick pay to their benefits for hourly employees.  (Olive Garden, Cheddars, Capital Grille, Eddie V's, others.).

Yeah, that's a nice start. But you have to remember, most servers at these places don't even make minimum wage. They make their money on tips. So to pay them $5.00 per hour in sick pay really won't cut it. Unless they're in the hospital. And in that case, it's better than nothing.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, that's a nice start. But you have to remember, most servers at these places don't even make minimum wage. They make their money on tips. So to pay them $5.00 per hour in sick pay really won't cut it. Unless they're in the hospital. And in that case, it's better than nothing.

From the article, 

The pay rate will be based on the worker’s 13-week average. 

21 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So...unless somebody comes up with a vaccine, we'll be facing this virus on a yearly basis, our bodies don't build up an immunity to it if we're exposed. Wouldn't it be something if another country develops a vaccine first? And will the virus mutate, as most do? That could make a vaccine developed this year totally ineffective next year. Those viruses are smart little buggers...

As a general rule, Corona virii are not as variable as influenza, bit whether COVID19 is variable enough to require annual vacine adjustments (assuming a vaccine is developed) is still pretty much unknown.

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I own three restaurants and we have always provided sick pay.  We will also be paying employees if we have to shut down.  It will only be about 25% of their normal pay and it might not last more than a month or so, but it's something.

I feel bad for the employees. But also the owners of non-chain restaurants (huge chains). This virus has to be hurting business. And providing some sick pay is great. The problem is this dang virus. From what I hear, many people can have it and not even know it. And that's how it spreads. And how many people can call in sick before you have to close?

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I feel bad for the employees. But also the owners of non-chain restaurants (huge chains). This virus has to be hurting business. And providing some sick pay is great. The problem is this dang virus. From what I hear, many people can have it and not even know it. And that's how it spreads. And how many people can call in sick before you have to close?

Business is down a bit, but not enough where we can say it's because of the virus.  I don't think Michigan has a reported case yet though.  I think business will crater once that happens, maybe not if it isn't in our area.

We were gearing up to buy land and start construction on a new location.  But that is on hold now for various reasons.  Mostly we're going to need that cash for other things now, like paying employees.  But we also don't want to be in the middle of construction and get hit with a quarantine and our construction site just sitting there with no workers. 

As far as shutting down.  We haven't been in communication with any health officials yet.  But my guess is if one employee gets it, we're done.  I assume the other employees would have to be quarantined as well if they were in contact with him/her.  But that is 100% a guess on my part.

28 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

that's great.... hopefully you don't have to go that route.

I hadn’t seen that Northern California has banned events of more than 1k people. So the Sharks are looking at a game without fans in the seats. 

Ohio has just said that games should be played without fans in attendance, although it is being presented as a recommendation, not a mandate. 

This is a mess. These leagues have the resources to absorb the financial hit of having no fans in the stadium. They can cover contract breaches for in stadium advertising and vendors. 

If you put 10-20k into a confined space like an arena with all of the various communal aspects, the spread of this virus is going to skyrocket. 

The NBA has talked about playing without fans.

The Pistons have been their case study for the past decade.  

Just now, Deleterious said:

The NBA has talked about playing without fans.

The Pistons have been their case study for the past decade.  

Yeah, I saw on TV talk of baseball with no fans. I thought Tampa and Cleveland wouldn't even know the difference. 

19 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

“If you want a test, you can get a test”

Tests for many diseases and illnesses usually aren't given out without a doctors recommendation. Most doctors do routine bloodwork during a physical. But they usually won't order tests without a reason to. And when I saw Trump saying this, he did mumble something about a doctor recommendation. At least, he did one time I saw him.

43 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I will hope for the continued good health of you and your employees.

It is nice to hear from real business owners about how they DO care about their employees.

I’ll say thank you, and were I in your area, I’d be a patron of your establishments.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

Pretty much where we are at as well.  We have tickets to travel to Mexico in late April for a wedding.  Hoping this is settled before then, pretty confident it will be.