chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

11 hours ago, TheCouga said:

Wow, that's getting close.

I'm in Philadelphia now.  I'm waiting for the work from home order.  I am already technically allowed to do that now, but it's still frowned upon as "lazy" by management, so you never want to be the one to ask.

That mindset is common.  The thing is that my husband used to manage a few teams in NJ and other places remotely from Texas and could easily monitor their workflows.  (After 911 the company decided that it was prudent that certain work not be all done in the same office.)  Ditto when they introduced work from home as a contingency plan for emergencies like weather, terrorist attacks, whatever.  He knew what and how much work they were doing without having eyes on them.    But he was constantly having to defend allowing his employees to use the program to dumbasses who were further up the corporate chain but lacked knowledge about how the actual work was done and monitored.     Actually, some of his employees were more productive at home because they had fewer interruptions from the phone or people dropping by their desks wanting something done right then.   

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

At UM faculty have been told to prepare plans to finish the term without classes. At the college of engineering we are equipped for every class lecture to be recorded and distributed and it's a 'google' campus so everyone has access to the full range of on-line meeting and group tools. Going remote for the last 7 weeks would not be the end of the world - except for lab classes. Those requirements will simply need to waived or repeated if we  suspend classes.

We do not have a confirmed case in the state of MI yet but who would bet a plug nickel that some spring breaker at UM or MSU has not brought back at least one case? I also expect that a single hospitalization at the Ann Arbor campus will be the threshold. And in fact if any large number of well students turn out to be exposed and need to isolate that will probably be enough.

College campuses are incredibly risky places to be given the close proximity of students in dorms and apartments. Especially when kids are packed into frat/sorority houses. 

11 hours ago, TheCouga said:

Wow, that's getting close.

I'm in Philadelphia now.  I'm waiting for the work from home order.  I am already technically allowed to do that now, but it's still frowned upon as "lazy" by management, so you never want to be the one to ask.

Ohio State University also suspending all courses until March 30th.

1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

Other than one senior citizen complex, 8 people in the US (350M people) have died.

better chance of getting hit by lightening.

For someone who likes to brag about money you sure seem pretty ignorant about the concept of growth.... somehow i think you are a fraud.  We all know it. Nobody can be that stupid.

Well they can....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Ohio State University also suspending all courses until March 30th.

I thought they were extending the athletic department's practice of online courses to the general student population. 

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

At UM faculty have been told to prepare plans to finish the term without classes. At the college of engineering we are equipped for every class lecture to be recorded and distributed and it's a 'google' campus so everyone has access to the full range of on-line meeting and group tools. Going remote for the last 7 weeks would not be the end of the world - except for lab classes. Those requirements will simply need to waived or repeated if we  suspend classes.

We do not have a confirmed case in the state of MI yet but who would bet a plug nickel that some spring breaker at UM or MSU has not brought back at least one case? I also expect that a single hospitalization at the Ann Arbor campus will be the threshold. And in fact if any large number of well students turn out to be exposed and need to isolate that will probably be enough.

Yes, it seems to be more a case of when, not if, they suspend in-person classes. There will be faculty complaints, but it can be done.

Predictable joke, but I'm a sucker for these memes...

safe_image_6b1a4666dfa82215d62cf2bb8312c64f1c498270.jpg

• Haha 1

Its really a telling sign of leadership when confronted with a situation they constantly have to say things like "it wasn't our fault..."

Drumpf's presser yesterday was full of that. "No one could have expected this..", "we didn't do it..."

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Its really a telling sign of leadership when confronted with a situation they constantly have to say things like "it wasn't our fault..."

Drumpf's presser yesterday was full of that. "No one could have expected this..", "we didn't do it..."

He is a fearless leader with a very stable brain and a high intellect. That is how all great leaders operate.

12 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Title of thread for the slow:

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

By the way, the answer is "yes".

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lab classes are my concern.  My statistical programming class involves a one-hour lab.  It is not formally a lab class, but it's an important part of the class.  I am not teaching this semester, so I will deal with it later if this is still going on in the fall.  My other concern is video-conferencing equipment not working properly, but hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out shortly.  

24 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The Trump presidency in a nutshell:

40 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I thought they were extending the athletic department's practice of online courses to the general student population. 

No, they are extending the football team's practice of not attending class.  

2 hours ago, pfife said:

How did The Dumbocrats get Italy to close over the Coronavirus hoax? 

by controlling the lamestream media duh

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No, they are extending the football team's practice of not attending class.  

Would presume this extends to the basketball team too?

The big winners of the coronavirus: the Houston Astros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got this in the email this morning. Long story short: don’t come to any of our branches.

I wonder how the coronavirus is going to affect cash, meaning, will there be a push to permanently reduce or even eliminate the exchange of actual cash? Businesses would like that, of course, so I can easily imagine them putting on a full court press to get people to exchange payment cashlessly.

2020-03-10_8-47-21.thumb.jpg.d0791afe62d168951044a72d0a571337.jpg

Just now, chasfh said:

The big winners of the coronavirus: the Houston Astros.

Damn them to ****

34 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Lab classes are my concern.  My statistical programming class involves a one-hour lab.  It is not formally a lab class, but it's an important part of the class.  I am not teaching this semester, so I will deal with it later if this is still going on in the fall.  My other concern is video-conferencing equipment not working properly, but hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out shortly.  

At UM COE, students can remote into virtually all the same computational resources available in our computer labs - minus the big screens of course. But we have a large freshmen program where students are doing hands-on design/build/test programs. Those are what I work with and we haven't figured out any way yet we could complete those.

There's a really funny line of bull**** in that PNC announcment:  "As always, our focus is on the safety and wellbeing of our customers.". Guffaw.

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

At UM COE, students can remote into virtually all the same computational resources available in our computer labs - minus the big screens of course. But we have a large freshmen program where students are doing hands-on design/build/test programs. Those are what I work with and we haven't figured out any way yet we could complete those.

Our computer lab computers are garbage, so students are better off using their lap tops.  The challenge is I hold a one-hour lab session where I walk around and work with students individually.  I am pretty sure that won't work online efficiently.   I could just not require them to do the lab, but it would be an inferior learning experience as many students have told me that's the best part of the class.  

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just got this in the email this morning. Long story short: don’t come to any of our branches.

I wonder how the coronavirus is going to affect cash, meaning, will there be a push to permanently reduce or even eliminate the exchange of actual cash? Businesses would like that, of course, so I can easily imagine them putting on a full court press to get people to exchange payment cashlessly.

2020-03-10_8-47-21.thumb.jpg.d0791afe62d168951044a72d0a571337.jpg

This is exactly the kind of thing I worry about - measures being taken during the crisis becoming the new normal.  You can be sure that big businesses all over the country are thinking of ways to profit from this crisis.