chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Princeton has suspended face to face classes.

Wow, that's getting close.

I'm in Philadelphia now.  I'm waiting for the work from home order.  I am already technically allowed to do that now, but it's still frowned upon as "lazy" by management, so you never want to be the one to ask.

Brandeis is now requiring that we teach via videoconferencing to accommodate those who want to stay home due to the virus.  They are preparing to eventually make it all online if necessary.  I am really glad I'm not teaching this semester.  

20 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I didn't say Italy was helping to make that happen. I said italy was stupid. You don't shut a country down over a virus. But to each their own.

Again, this is not surprising. I'm using trying to use logic against people who believe in Russian conspiracies and Ukraine quid pro quo. This is the latest "fell for it" board moment. I'm starting to lose count at how gullible you guys are. 

Yup, you are sure falling for the New York city conman.  Big Time!

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My son's hording school is requiring students to work from home following spring break.

Didn't realize there was a school for that. I am self taught. ?

:alien:

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My son's hording school....

He is going to school for this? KEWL!

Image result for mongol horde pic

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I know it hurts to see your boy look bad handling a crisis.  He's had a pretty easy presidency up to this point, but the luck had to run out some time.  His only skills are BS and marketing and you can't BS a virus.  

Yes, he was doing a really good job riding Obama's coattails. But now a national crisis? And Donald Trump our leader? God, have mercy on our souls. The next 3 weeks could be life changing.

TMZ reporting that Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune will be taped without live audiences.  

2 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Interesting thread

Read the whole thing

Absolutely, definitely, yes please read the whole thing.

18 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, he was doing a really good job riding Obama's coattails. But now a national crisis? And Donald Trump our leader? God, have mercy on our souls. The next 3 weeks could be life changing.

I think so.  Trump, stupidly, doesn't think so, and therefore by definition neither do his parrots here at MTS, but I do. 

I teach economics part-time at a community college that has 30,000 full time, part time and apprenticeship students.  That's mind-boggling, it's far larger than the university that I attended, way back when, in the same city.  So far, the school administration has been sort of coy about their plans for the next few weeks.  They publish COVID updates, which is to their credit, but so far they are of the "wash your hands, don't touch your face, we'll let you know if any further action is required" variety.  I can't really fault them for that, what else are they going to say?  Predict the number of cases in the student population that would cause them to close the school?

To that last question, I think that I know the answer.  The answer is one.  One case out of 30,000 students will close the school, absolutely.  They couldn't withstand the liability risk for doing anything else.  I think that the threshhold is even lower than that.  Our school is located in a metropolitan area of about 500,000 people - but it is so close to Toronto (about an hour) that you could say that the metropolitan area is about 4 million.  Right now there are 34 COVID cases in Toronto.  How many cases in Toronto will it take to close a college in Hamilton, 50 miles away?  I don't know.  There are lots of universities and colleges in Toronto and none have closed yet, but the first one will set off a chain reaction. 

So, we will see how the next week goes.  You can imagine what a bummer it would be for me to have to cancel my remaining classes and come up with some sort of final exam that was on-line, but that is a better alternative than to stupidly continue with public gatherings and stupidly proclaim that this is all an overreaction, or stupidly proclaim that there was some political motive behind exaggerating the potential impact.  That "overreaction" thing is so stupid that you can't even objectively quantify how stupid it is.

At UM faculty have been told to prepare plans to finish the term without classes. At the college of engineering we are equipped for every class lecture to be recorded and distributed and it's a 'google' campus so everyone has access to the full range of on-line meeting and group tools. Going remote for the last 7 weeks would not be the end of the world - except for lab classes. Those requirements will simply need to waived or repeated if we  suspend classes.

We do not have a confirmed case in the state of MI yet but who would bet a plug nickel that some spring breaker at UM or MSU has not brought back at least one case? I also expect that a single hospitalization at the Ann Arbor campus will be the threshold. And in fact if any large number of well students turn out to be exposed and need to isolate that will probably be enough.

6 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I happen to think he's nuts to shut his country down. 97 deaths out of 16M people. That's insanity. But that's what we do now. We overreact.

Over 450 people have died in Italy. You know that, right?

Call it Covid19, son.  That tells you that the administration has had since last year to prepare but decided to use propaganda and gaslighting to fight it.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for racism from the administration

How did The Dumbocrats get Italy to close over the Coronavirus hoax? 

4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Over 450 people have died in Italy. You know that, right?

Other than one senior citizen complex, 8 people in the US (350M people) have died.

better chance of getting hit by lightening.

5 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Other than one senior citizen complex, 8 people in the US (350M people) have died.

better chance of getting hit by lightening.

"Lightening", that is exactly how Trump spells it.

Not a strategy for effectively dealing with a pandemic