chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Why do you feel the need to provoke people with insults. Constantly?

Does it make you feel joy? Does it make you feel intelligent? 

It’s sick.

10 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

It is pretty much this board and folks who listen to the media.

Nah, it's Trumpers falling for the biggest con in US history.  .  

• Like 4

Just now, tiger337 said:

Nah, it's Trumpers falling for the biggest con in US history.  .  

Of course, it is true (and in this case ironic) that the most pernicious form of group think is when people surrender their normal autonomy to authority that is either wrong or malicious. 

37 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Or the board member whose f-ing father died of this disease.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Chicago's a disaster but is it worse now?  Some say no.   You had people shooting everybody.  You don't see that now.  Maybe this corona is a good thing for Chicago?  I don't know.  I had some guy from Chicago come up to me, he said "Sir, I couldn't go outside anymore it was so bad... but now, I go outside, and nobody's there.  It's safe.  I can walk the street now".  

it doesnt feel like a disaster...

the biggest area of coronavirus outbreak isnt that far from my house.  there's a large orthodox jewish community nearby and they have been getting a lot of cases.

i went to the grocery store right after the lockdown and nobody had masks on.  or gloves.  my wife went three days ago and all the workers had gloves and masks on.  so its been a little bit of progress.  i live right across the street from a park.  in the beginning there were tons of people out without masks and in groups.  you see less people out and more masks now.  so some people are paying attention.

were not supposed to peak until next week, so we shall see.

as to crime, its been cold and wet so far, which will keep crime down.  however, it was 70 degrees the other day and we have 8 murders.  gangs never sleep.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

There’s a real simple way to stop all the hoaxers and to get the holdouts back into their houses. 

Have Obama and Hillary go on TV together and demand that Trump and our Governors open our country back up and stop this ridiculous overreaction to the flu.   Problem solved.   Goodbye hoaxers. 

At least down here, ignoring the social distancing orders is bipartisan and not confined to any specific economic or ethnic group, sad to say.  

correction: we had 7 murders on tuesday and 8 murders yesterday.  nothing slows down the south and west side of chicago...

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the biggest area of coronavirus outbreak isnt that far from my house.  there's a large orthodox jewish community nearby and they have been getting a lot of cases.

24 minutes ago, Melody said:

At least down here, ignoring the social distancing orders is bipartisan and not confined to any specific economic or ethnic group, sad to say.  

There seem to be lots of examples of orthodox Jewish communities being really badly hit by this around the world. I'm sure there are a host of reasons why. Are there simply less of those communities in your part of the world?

14 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Please remember this next time you disparage your local non-partisan professional as a member of the deep state.

lalala-cant-hear-you-red-hat.jpg.72116d568929208eba8b9897e04dd41c.jpg

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think there are a couple ways it can play out. You can try to keep everything clamped down to where you achieve very low incidence and test and trace well enough to keep occurrence rates down until there is vaccine - (south Korea, Taiwan seem to be on this path). This will require extended distancing and a lot of adaptation in the way business operate for an extended period. Lots of temperature screening stations, more drive through retail, working with masks, more space divisions in the workplace, possibly extended restriction on vacation/pleasure travel, etc. And LOTS and LOTS of testing, both for infection and then for immunity levels. Call this the maximal effort, screw the economy scenario. It's a scenario that probably increases in likelihood if a vaccine begins to appear close enough to make it bearable. The problem here is that even if you go pedal to the metal with your efforts, there is a good probability you fail to contain the virus anyway. Taiwan and S. Korea look promising now but it is still an open question whether they can sustain their success for however long it takes for a vaccine to emerge. And we may be too far gone to get containment.

The alternative is that we set the criteria back to whatever is needed at roughly steady state to keep the hospital system above water so we can at least treat everyone who gets sick, and then let the virus run it's course through the population on that basis. The amount of effort required will gradually fall as the herd immunity increases and the R(0) value falls due simply to the reduced probability that an exposed person hasn't already been exposed. And maybe there will be some therapy progress (and to those that think any has been made - just track the daily death tolls. We are not getting better at this very fast if at all so far). This probably means there are going to be echo surges continuing to create regional strains.. It probably also means that we accept that the disease will eventually take up to 0.05% of the total population (500 per million, which is where the numbers are trending toward in areas with the highest infection rates).

Don't ask me to handicap it.

I'll handicap it: I think we go something closer to scenario 2. Isn't herd immunity ultimately how every other pandemic resolved itself? I'm not sure we can engineer a different outcome here even if we try hard as we can.

38 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i went to the grocery store right after the lockdown and nobody had masks on.  or gloves.  my wife went three days ago and all the workers had gloves and masks on.  so its been a little bit of progress.  i live right across the street from a park.  in the beginning there were tons of people out without masks and in groups.  you see less people out and more masks now.  so some people are paying attention.

were not supposed to peak until next week, so we shall see.

as to crime, its been cold and wet so far, which will keep crime down.  however, it was 70 degrees the other day and we have 8 murders.  gangs never sleep.

FWIW, my post was a joke... I was speaking as Trump.

43 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Gun wielders don't have to get within six feet of someone to shoot them.

13 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

There seem to be lots of examples of orthodox Jewish communities being really badly hit by this around the world. I'm sure there are a host of reasons why. Are there simply less of those communities in your part of the world?

because they are tight knit communities who have a lot of gatherings.  im not so sure a lot of them were taking the social distancing recommendations to heart either.

but the same can be said for the south side.  lots of reports of police breaking up gatherings of 50 or more people partying in the park.

16 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Haven't those same areas been hit by Measles of late too?

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

FWIW, my post was a joke... I was speaking as Trump.

they named a street after him here at one point, but then had to take it away when the political winds started blowing in another direction.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Let's see.

Media: a pandemic is coming. Thousands will die. 

Trump: It's a hoax, under control, it'll all be over quickly. 

A month later, 90k dead worldwide, 15k dead in the US

Maroth: yall is sheep listening to the media dont believe them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

There may be some in the area, but I haven’t seen any who I could readily identify as orthodox in my part of town.   We pretty much have some of every other nation, tribe and family.   I just know what I see from the road while driving as far as public gatherings and the groups vary re ethnicity.    Tend to be younger, like teens and twenties.  But not exclusively.

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

because they are tight knit communities who have a lot of gatherings.  im not so sure a lot of them were taking the social distancing recommendations to heart either.

but the same can be said for the south side.  lots of reports of police breaking up gatherings of 50 or more people partying in the park.

I don't know if the Arab community has been hit hard in our area in terms of infection but there's a definite trend of them not adhering to social distancing guidelines.  So much so that a few community leaders had to specifically reach out to them to explain this is serious.  You'd go by parks last week and think it was the fourth of July.  

I think any community that's sort of isolated is at a higher risk.  Do they watch TV or the news?  

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

[OK, guys, cover me, I'm going in to engage ... :ninja: ?]

OK, so, I hear you and a lot of other people maintain this is strictly a media-induced panic. (As though governments and health experts cannot arrive at conclusions and courses of action on their own accord, so they need the New York Times to tell them how to think about it and what to do. But let's set that one aside for the moment.)

That implies that this whole "pandemic" (in quotes for your benefit) could have been avoided, and maybe could even end tomorrow, if the media simply pivot suddenly and change their entire approach.

So I have to ask you: what specifically should the media do in order to contain the panic and stop the farce that is the "pandemic"? And what should the media stop doing to achieve the same end?

Please don't answer "the media should start telling the truth" and "the media should stop telling lies". Those are banal generalities, not specifics. Give us real, meaty examples of what the media have done to inflame the panic and promote the "pandemic", and specific examples of things they haven't done but should start doing to stop it. What questions they should ask or should not ask; what articles they should or should not publish; what narrative they should or should not pursue. Stuff like this.

Please tell us how the media broke the entire world, and what they should do to fix it up.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Yes, I think I read the same sort of thing - the biggest outbreak in Israel is an ultra-orthodox town iirc.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

We have the same issue here:

2 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Yes, I think I read the same sort of thing - the biggest outbreak in Israel is an ultra-orthodox town iirc.

This serves as a reminder that we do get our cherished traditions of liberty from you guys, so, thanks for that! ?

I think that "liberty" is a very dangerous word right now.  It is far more value-loaded than "freedom".

24 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Don't regulate my party.