chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

M.L. Elrick tested positive.  Drew and Mike had him on todays show and he sounds pretty rough.  His wife is also really sick but wasn't getting tested until today.  You have to imagine she also has it.

One thing that I’ve learned through all of this is that temporal thermometers are a complete con job.    High end ones at hospitals may work but the home ones are total bunk.   

If you don't have one I think you are SOL.....

2 hours ago, wolverinefan said:

I know that it apparently came to the US in late January...but I kind of find that hard to believe.

Does anyone think they've already had it? I had every symptom in early/mid January, went to the doctor, flu swab negative. Sicker than a dog for three weeks. I gave it to my entire family and same deal for all of them. All swabbed negative. Just told "its a virus", and sent home. 

My wife and I were talking about that this weekend. She had what she thought was a nasty chest cold in late January, I had something similar but not quite as bad, I lived on Dayquil and Nightquil for several days. The timeline seems to lineup with a recent story in the Washington Post about flights to the US from China. I spend one afternoon a week at DTW in the information booth (the program has been temporarily suspended) and a large portion of the people who stop by the booth are coming off one of those flights and connecting to other flights....many are looking for gate information (since nobody seems to know how to read flight screens). 

I'm not saying that was the cause, but the timing seems similar. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I finally belched and that relieved the chest pain. May just have been indigestion after all. My thermometer says my temperature is 90.4 so clearly that isn't working. I'm afraid to go to the store to get one. I don't think I have a fever.

20200404_143220.thumb.jpg.41ff01cf0e3a36ba39e7902f81a093bd.jpg

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

20200404_143220.thumb.jpg.41ff01cf0e3a36ba39e7902f81a093bd.jpg

My day to day routine really has not changed. I'm finding social distancing refreshing. No longer have to exchange meaningless pleasantries from people and can actively avoid people I don't want to interact with.

• Haha 1

If I still lived in Warren, I'd probably be looking forward to social distancing as well.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

the political hack is gonna win that fight against the dedicated professional every time.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If I still lived in Warren, I'd probably be looking forward to social distancing as well.

I remember when I was labeled a racist on this forum for not interacting with my Warren neighbors.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember when I was labeled a racist on this forum for not interacting with my Warren neighbors.

That would not have happened to me when I was living in Warren. Unless you consider Scots-Irish a race.

Just now, chasfh said:

That would not have happened to me when I was living in Warren. Unless you consider Scots-Irish a race.

Depends on what side of 696 you live on. On the north side there is a growing number of blacks and a lot of Eastern European immigrants. South of 696 is pretty much 50/50. The Eastern European neighbors don't appear to speak English or not very well and the blacks like to discuss the NBA which I don't have much interest in anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Depends on what side of 696 you live on. On the north side there is a growing number of blacks and a lot of Eastern European immigrants. South of 696 is pretty much 50/50. The Eastern European neighbors don't appear to speak English or not very well and the blacks like to discuss the NBA which I don't have much interest in anymore. 

I left Michigan entirely just after New Year's Day in 1992, so Warren was still essentially an all-white city.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I left Michigan entirely just after New Year's Day in 1992, so Warren was still essentially an all-white city.

Warren is much different now. It's more racially diverse than Detroit now. South Warren, especially 8 Mile to 9 Mile, is mostly black. The housing crash really accelerated the integration as investors bought up houses and converted them to section 8. North Warren still has a large middle class white population but particularly NW there are a lot of Eastern European immigrants. I was going to list my house as crime is escalating quickly but I guess that's on hold now. 

15 hours ago, wolverinefan said:

I know that it apparently came to the US in late January...but I kind of find that hard to believe.

Does anyone think they've already had it? I had every symptom in early/mid January, went to the doctor, flu swab negative. Sicker than a dog for three weeks. I gave it to my entire family and same deal for all of them. All swabbed negative. Just told "its a virus", and sent home. 

I had contact with a ton of students coming back from Spring Break the week before UM stopped live classes and I know that since then a few of them have been sick. The following couple of weeks at home neither my wife nor I were 100% at any time and whatever it was, while minor for both of us, didn't really fit any familiar profile for a typical cold. I was mostly achy with unusual (for me) sinus issues. No fever, but I never have fevers anyway. So who knows? I'd call it a 25% probability maybe.

We've also both had flu shots, so reduced odds it was a conventional HxNx flu.

33 minutes ago, Melody said:

Good heavens.  People have gone insane!

Did you never get the "power lines/phone masts linked to cancer" thing?

The specific background to this is here: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/5g-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory

Interesting example of the ways that loonspuddery works on social media, ending with the inevitable:

Van Kerckhoven’s scientifically baseless comments don’t exist in a vacuum. In fact, they exist in sludge of conspiracy theories that have been shared millions of times on social media. Sploshing about this sludge are six main coronavirus conspiracy theories: that 5G is, somehow, dangerous; that 5G worsens the effects of coronavirus by weakening your immune system; that 5G outright causes coronavirus-like symptoms; that the coronavirus lockdown is being used as cover to install 5G networks; that Bill Gates had something to do with it; and, finally, that this is all an Illuminati mass-murder plot. None of these conspiracy theories have a shred of truth in them, while some are outright dangerous.

But please read all of the article. It's monumental and well worth the time. RT is heavily involved and Infowars gets a mention as well...

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, ROMAD1 said:

This will infuriate a certain segment of this board.  I know for a fact that he was very much engaged in reviewing the threat and mitigation documents I sent his way.

Nothing wrong with that.

I swear by all that I hold dear in life I wish we had Bush's level of... umm... low-IQ, AND his patriotism in the highest office of the land, (and PS: I saw some articles that he was looking into pandemic preparedness over the weekend... did you really send the research to him yourself? Kudos!)...

Instead of the current ****-show clown-show anti-Constitutional IDIOT-in-CHIEF we have.

I long for the days of Dubya.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:17 AM, Gehringer_2 said:

Bush was still the model for Trump in the way he filled the bureaucracy around him with incompetent ideological hacks (well in Trump's case less ideological than cult of personality, but the same incompetence). Which is why even if his personal ethics and sense of responsibility to his job were far and away better than Trump's,  his results - not so much. 

Yeah... this I agree with.

Which still says I'd rather have W than this lying POS.

Michigan released their numbers.... 17,221 cases and 110 new deaths, up to 727.

It's the largest incease in deaths but the rate continues to go down on positives.... 

Also Boris Johnson is in ICU.

23 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Also Boris Johnson is in ICU.

Boris Johnson now in intensive care is crazy. Losing anyone to the virus is a tragedy, but a world leader, the Donald Trump of the UK, would be a total shock. I don't know whether Johnson was as nonchalant about the gravity of the Coronavirus pandemic as our President was. Speaking of, did Trump ever release his test results from his alleged Coronavirus test?