chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

It's April in the D. Spring has sprung, coronavirus patients over 10,000 in Michigan, has it disappeared as promised in April?

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Natasha does't understand triage. The basic idea is a good one - but possibly the Navy/admin is screwing it up. An armed services Hosp ship was probably not designed primarily for infectious diseases. In general a ship is too close quarters to use for a highly infectious disease, - it probably has nowhere near the air purification capacity of a modern hospital - etc. It makes perfect sense to use it to treat the seriously ill with other conditions that there is not room for in the regular system now and who it would be too dangerous to expose to the virus even if there were room in the regular Hosps. There are still a enough of people in NY who will die of things other than COIVD19 if they can't get a hospital bed to fill the ship.

SO the objective is keep COVID off the ship and treat critically ill who are not COVID patients. The set-up concept was fine, whether the managers may be screwing it up is a different question.

This and the "EMTs will not resuscitate you" story are good examples of what's wrong with Twitter. Thoughtless, breathless, un-researched reporting.

Also... with the lockdown you are seeing fewer car accidents and other types of things since most people are at home..

7 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

Thanks. I'm remote at this time, providing coordination and support to NY, NJ, PR, and VI.

How are PR and VI looking?  I have a soft spot for those places in my heart.  Of course I don't hear anything about them in the news.

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

How are PR and VI looking?  I have a soft spot for those places in my heart.  Of course I don't hear anything about them in the news.

I can't get into a ton. They're dealing with some of the same issues, but they're on a timeline behind the other two I'm working with.

The soft spot is real. I spent nearly a month there working post-Maria.

• Like 2

I have a view of the freeway from my office (still working) and I can't believe the amount of cars that are still on the road.  Obviously not like it normally would be but there is still a steady flow throughout the day which is surprising to me. 

25 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Also... with the lockdown you are seeing fewer car accidents and other types of things since most people are at home..

This is one way to get the mass shootings in the US under control.

1 hour ago, Microline133 said:

I promise you it is not a photo op. I'm currently working on the response to COVID.

Thanks for clarifying, Mark as well as helping during this crisis

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is one way to get the mass shootings in the US under control.

but still no lack of nutballs. A guy in LA tried to sink the Hospital ship out there with a locomotive. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/02/825897966/train-engineer-says-he-crashed-in-attempt-to-attack-navy-hospital-ship-in-l-a

On Twitter I saw a tweet about fauci and read the responses... there's still people out there who think this is a plot against Trump and Fauci is part of it...

We're doomed.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

On Twitter I saw a tweet about fauci and read the responses... there's still people out there who think this is a plot against Trump and Fauci is part of it...

We're doomed.

Outspoken Trumpers on my facebook are still suspicious.  They are using dog whistles now though.  

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have a view of the freeway from my office (still working) and I can't believe the amount of cars that are still on the road.  Obviously not like it normally would be but there is still a steady flow throughout the day which is surprising to me. 

I can't speak for the other drivers, but I can tell you that on a nice sunny day yesterday, I went for a pleasure drive along the lakeshore, just to get the h*** out of the house and feel somewhat normal again.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

That is so awesome.  You don't see true courage very often, and the response is indeed moving.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can't speak for the other drivers, but I can tell you that on a nice sunny day yesterday, I went for a pleasure drive along the lakeshore, just to get the h*** out of the house and fell somewhat normal again.

That's what I struggle with as far as what we're allowed to do.  I know you are in a another state so the same rules may not apply....

but what if you don't really go anywhere?  Just get in the car and drive for 30 minutes to relax and get away from who you are in the house with?

4 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

That is so awesome.  You don't see true courage very often, and the response is indeed moving.

He sacrificed his career for their lives.

Remember the current Navy Sec is a lacky who replaced the previous one over the Seal pardon....

the military hierarchy is corrupt.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Outspoken Trumpers on my facebook are still suspicious.  They are using dog whistles now though.  

I don't do FB but the SO does and one of our old friends was carrying last night on about how nefarious it was that everybody isn't already getting better because chloroquine is the answer and so something dark must be going on - yada, yada. 

Between all the bad information out there and people who can't process even the good information.....

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

but still no lack of nutballs. A guy in LA tried to sink the Hospital ship out there with a locomotive. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/02/825897966/train-engineer-says-he-crashed-in-attempt-to-attack-navy-hospital-ship-in-l-a

Thank you for sharing this story, because I now know that it is possible to be charged on one count of train wrecking.

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

That's what I struggle with as far as what we're allowed to do.  I know you are in a another state so the same rules may not apply....

but what if you don't really go anywhere?  Just get in the car and drive for 30 minutes to relax and get away from who you are in the house with?

That's what I did. Drove up Damen, out Bryn Mawr to the Drive, down onto Michigan Ave, right on Wacker, right on Lake, up Des Plaines to Milwaukee Ave, and back home. Didn't stop anywhere and didn't do anything. Just wanted to drive and be normal for an hour.

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The Attorney General said they aren't going to stop people for just leaving their house in their car. If you do get stopped, just say you're going to the grocery store.

I took a ride to the old neighborhood in Detroit. Even the prostitutes and drug dealers are staying home. Driving down Warren Ave was like when Rick Grimes rode into Atlanta. 

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Remember the current Navy Sec is a lacky who replaced the previous one over the Seal pardon....

I had forgotten about the Seal disgrace, and how the new Secretary is a Trumpie.

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

God, I hope against hope that it wasn't for nothing.

38 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Sec Nav claimed he sacked him for going outside chain of command with his complaint. Sounds like he had already gone up the chain of command and been ignored so he did what he had to do. A carrier captain probably has a good shot at making Admiral. If, because of this they don't promote him he will probably be forced to retire before he would have and so will get screwed out a better retirement. (Naval officers at that level pretty much have to retire if eligible if they don't get promoted - there are not enough spots to keep them all)