chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

22 minutes ago, Melody said:

I can’t relate at all to those people. SMH.  Unless stress is getting to her.  Sometimes it is the most inconsequential thing that makes someone blow.

nah, she's always like this.  It was one of those "Oh, here's Sharon's latest...."  Even during normal times its all about her daughter.  Totally hijacks the conversations they have.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

My pet peeve isn't as good but it still needs telling;

People are using this emergency stay at home order as a vacation to go up north and go fishing, so many that they're shoulder to shoulder in some places. This isn't an optional stay at home order, it's mandatory. They're giving out $500 tickets to some of these folks.

Then you have kids who act like it's a snow day and all hang out. Getting together for video games or hanging out at the skate parks. SMH

For sure.  Our city has had to issue multiple messages and orders to people that this isn't the time to hang out.  Stay in your house.  Don't go visit friends.  Even your parents.... unless it's an emergency or something like that.  We are taking some groceries or food to ours and we leave it on the porch.

We've had people gathering in parks... 

One thing I struggle with is they don't want us out... yet the state parks are open.  I get we need to go outside and all that and we love to do trail running.  But where do you draw the line?

Some of my running friends, jokingly, complain that it's getting too crowded in their normal locations.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

Not at all.  If the material was intended to be satirical, it does not seem to have been taken that way, and was causing harm.  

That's the strange thing isn't it. I suppose that it's made it clear that somewhere between 25 and 45% of the population believe any crap they read online and use it to make decisions. But given that, and given that some of this stuff is clearly harmful (the silver medical thing, for example) why continue? That doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

For sure.  Our city has had to issue multiple messages and orders to people that this isn't the time to hang out.  Stay in your house.  Don't go visit friends.  Even your parents.... unless it's an emergency or something like that.  We are taking some groceries or food to ours and we leave it on the porch.

One thing I struggle with is they don't want us out... yet the state parks are open.  I get we need to go outside and all that and we love to do trail running.  But where do you draw the line?

Some of my running friends, jokingly, complain that it's getting too crowded in their normal locations.

It is tough to know where to draw the line.  I consider exercise to be an essential activity, but I am doing it a little differently now searching for isolated places.  Runners need to view running as exercise rather than a social activity for the time being.   I live in an area where it's generally pretty easy to find places to run in isolation, but it can be a bit of a challenge because there are more people outside.   

My understanding is that we're encouraged to go outside, but still need to keep the 6-10' social distancing.   I've still been going out to run & walk the dog.

My family has been quarantined for the past few weeks at different locations.   By all accounts my parents and in laws have been good at staying in.   Nobody has any virus symptoms. Anybody have thoughts on when its going to be ok to gather together in someone’s house and eat a meal together as a family? 

the reduction in traffic has made getting out on the road bike less hazardous. Now if it gets to 50 and the wind doesn't kick up again today......

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

My family has been quarantined for the past few weeks at different locations.   By all accounts my parents and in laws have been good at staying in.   Nobody has any virus symptoms. Anybody have thoughts on when its going to be ok to gather together in someone’s house and eat a meal together as a family? 

June? July? Who knows? I'll wait until they give the all clear and then wait 2 more weeks.

8 minutes ago, pfife said:

My understanding is that we're encouraged to go outside, but still need to keep the 6-10' social distancing.   I've still been going out to run & walk the dog.

We have a lot of people walking in the neighborhood and my house looks out a corner. It's amusing watching the dynamic. Almost everyone is resigned to getting it if their housemates get it because couples and family groups are all still together, but each group is giving each other group space, leading to lots of funny looking 'clumpy' conversation groups.

And of course the Dogs just think everyone is dumb for stopping where there is nothing particularly interesting to smell.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the reduction in traffic has made getting out on the road bike less hazardous. Now if it gets to 50 and the wind doesn't kick up again today......

yep I'm gonna get my bike going again for the season within the next couple days.  Looking forward to it.   I need the bike to take some of the cardio load from running.... already feeling some tweaks in my legs.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

We have a lot of people walking in the neighborhood and my house looks out a corner. It's amusing watching the dynamic. Almost everyone is resigned to getting it if their housemates get it because couples and family groups are all still together, but each group is giving each other group space, leading to lots of funny looking 'clumpy' conversation groups.

Yes, this pretty much describes what I'm seeing too at my place.

27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

nah, she's always like this.  It was one of those "Oh, here's Sharon's latest...."  Even during normal times its all about her daughter.  Totally hijacks the conversations they have.

Unfortunately have encountered a few of those as well.  Sigh.

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It is tough to know where to draw the line.  I consider exercise to be an essential activity, but I am doing it a little differently now searching for isolated places.  Runners need to view running as exercise rather than a social activity for the time being.   I live in an area where it's generally pretty easy to find places to run in isolation, but it can be a bit of a challenge because there are more people outside.   

I'm part of a facebook running group that's based on 100 miles a month, it's not a requirement at all, it just started that way so they kept the name, but nobody is shamed or whatever for not doing it.... but for March there were a lot of "centurions".  Since gyms are closed many people only have running.  Also it seems most runners, since there's no races for the forseeable future, are taking it easier in terms of their pacing and all that.  Nobody's training for anything specific.

The stay at home order I think is geared more towards things like "Don't go to Target and just browse around to kill time" or "Don't have friends over for beers or dinner".  "don't take your kids with you grocery shopping" 

I even convinced my wife to split up our grocery into segments... we have a local market for meats/fruits.  We also have a smaller grocery place for other things although the selection is limited.  She goes to Meijer for things you can only find there and she knows right where the stuff is at.  Then we go to the local market for fruits/veggies/meat.  The other market is for smaller things, like pastas.  The goal is to get in and limit your time there and get out.    YOu need toothepaste?  Go to CVS and walk in, get it, pay, and get out.  Don't get it at meijer where you have to go up and down aisles with a cart full of stuff bumping into people.  

19 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Our mayor had to send out crews to remove the hoops and backboards and volleyball nets at every park in the city because so many were congregating on the courts to play.  She declared all the playgrounds closed because of the impossibility of keeping them sanitized.  I only pass by one on my normal travels and there are usually young kids playing on it.  People lack any sense.

I'm still under the belief as long as you keep your distance and constantly wash/sanitize your hands and don't touch your face you should be safe. 

I ******* hate him.   ******* hate.  IDGAF if magats roll up in here and try to fight me over it.   **** this dude.   ******* hate him.  

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm still under the belief as long as you keep your distance and constantly wash/sanitize your hands and don't touch your face you should be safe. 

The droplets reportedly will survive on metal for up to three days. 

They can also make you send inappropriate emails to your boss.

They might convince you that a high performance car is exactly the sort of purchase you should make when the economy is tanking.

They will also infect your spouse and make her have three psychiatrists attest to her sanity before she commits suicide because she wants to return to the dream world you created in a dream level at least three levels below this one.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

The droplets reportedly will survive on metal for up to three days.

Not impressed... @Biff Mayhem has survived on metal for decades.  \m/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Not at all.  If the material was intended to be satirical, it does not seem to have been taken that way, and was causing harm.  

Not only that, but the guy perpetrating the "satirical" fake news and making scads of money off it (before Facebook cracked down anyway) is purportedly a "committed liberal Democrat" who's using the site as a ruse to bust the right wing fake news machines picking up on and redistributing his stories?

Huh?!

43 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I suppose if you and your family stayed in for two weeks straight without going out around other people even once, not even for groceries or doctors or anything; and your parents and in-laws did the exact same; and no one is showing any symptoms at the end of the two-week period—then you could get together in two weeks for your family meal.

Gotta trust everyone not to go out for anything at all, not even groceries, though. If someone does, then you'd have to reset the clock at start at that point.

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

I ******* hate him.   ******* hate.  IDGAF if magats roll up in here and try to fight me over it.   **** this dude.   ******* hate him.  

Trump is POS, but I have a feeling FLA may need all the help it can in three more weeks or so.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Trump is POS, but I have a feeling FLA may need all the help it can in three more weeks or so.

I agree but there are places that need the **** now...   I feel like we need to fight the battles as they arise (given the situation this impeached mfer has put us in).   I guess he feels we fight the battles based on how red the state is.

I apologize for ending that sentence in a preposition, I'm just that pissed man

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Same here. And staying at home. But how many of us who have this sense of security will end up getting this virus?