chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

32 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm definitely not an expert in it whatsoever, **** not even close, but it's seemed like it would be a very huge job to convert a factory to produce something totally different than what it was producing yesterday.

Its a huge enough job that by the time you did it, it is quite possible the threat has largely passed.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Its a huge enough job that by the time you did it, it is quite possible the threat has largely passed.

With enough time passing to allow Trump to blame that woman CEO at GM for all the additional deaths that occur while they are frantically retooling to make ventilators.

I have a friend who owns a fabricating shop in the Detroit area, and he just was awarded a contract to make large sterilization units that can sterilize 100+ masks at once for hospitals and the like.

I think these type of shops are much better suited for quick turnarounds, but they can only make a handful of units at a time, so you need to spread this type of work out across many shops until an assembly line can be set up.

Side note:  The Canadian government contracted his shop.  No idea if the US government is doing something similar (I would normally guess absolutely, but I don't have confidence in this administration). 

Also, select suppliers and sub-suppliers to the auto OEMs would almost certainly be better candidates for re-purposing factories than the OEMs themselves.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

With enough time passing to allow Trump to blame that woman CEO at GM for all the additional deaths that occur while they are frantically retooling to make ventilators.

There will always be a bogeyman, but if he is lucky, a bogeywoman.

What are the chances Amazon warehouses get shut down and their workers quarantined for 14 days? If CV19 starts running through these warehouses like a pandemic, what would be the alternative? What is the impact this would have on the American economy?

Sane response: In January delegate to people to contact those who produces ventilators and PPE. Find other production facilities that can be converted quickly. Reassure folks about patents. Reassure folks they will be reimbursed. In February activate the plans from January.

Alternative response: In March say **** it and arbitrarily choose a company and say you do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What are the chances Amazon warehouses get shut down and their workers quarantined for 14 days? If CV19 starts running through these warehouses like a pandemic, what would be the alternative? What is the impact this would have on the American economy?

Amazon is already extending shipping times for non-essentials.  If they had to shut down completely for 14 days, I don't think it would be that impactful, as long as they were able to return after that.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I have a friend who owns a fabricating shop in the Detroit area, and he just was awarded a contract to make large sterilization units that can sterilize 100+ masks at once for hospitals and the like.

I think these type of shops are much better suited for quick turnarounds, but they can only make a handful of units at a time, so you need to spread this type of work out across many shops until an assembly line can be set up.

Side note:  The Canadian government contracted his shop.  No idea if the US government is doing something similar (I would normally guess absolutely, but I don't have confidence in this administration). 

There's something similar in Ohio.

COLUMBUS (WTVG) - Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said a non-profit laboratory in Ohio has developed machinery which can sterilize masks for hospital staff and first responders, and he's asking the FDA to approve the machines and process.

During his Saturday press conference, DeWine said Battelle Labs in Columbus has developed two machines, which can each sterlize 80,000 masks daily, or 160,000 total per day. He also said the machines could be manufactured and shared with other states.

Locally, Mercy Health recently unveiled a piece of equipment which uses UV rays to disinfect equipment that is suspected to have come in contact with COVID-19.

A shortage of surgical and N-95 masks was on a list of top-10 items DeWine and Ohio Health Department director Dr. Amy Acton held up during the press conference.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Let's be honest, CV19 has probably already hit there, its just not been detected.  Its probably hit lots of places, it just hasn't been tested for.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Oh, now there's a growing uneasiness about Trump's motives and (lack of leadership)?

32 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

Amazon is already extending shipping times for non-essentials.  If they had to shut down completely for 14 days, I don't think it would be that impactful, as long as they were able to return after that.

Wouldn't it? Isn't Amazon basically the retailer of last resort for people who can't go anyplace else for anything except groceries?

I have to believe they are at least gaming out alternative strategies to keep going while maintaining six feet distance between people, although if it's true the virus hangs in the air after people expel it, allowing others to catch the virus by going into a space an infected person had recently been, that would complicate the planning.

34 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Let's be honest, CV19 has probably already hit there, its just not been detected.  Its probably hit lots of places, it just hasn't been tested for.

I'm hoping the paper from Oxford is actually true, that millions more have already gotten it and gotten over it in the past couple of months than previously thought. It sounds like wishful thinking, for sure, but given how little we still know about this disease, it's basically about as likely as anything else.

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Wouldn't it? Isn't Amazon basically the retailer of last resort for people who can't go anyplace else for anything except groceries?

I have to believe they are at least gaming out alternative strategies to keep going while maintaining six feet distance between people, although if it's true the virus hangs in the air after people expel it, allowing others to catch the virus by going into a space an infected person had recently been, that would complicate the planning.

Amazon works on a distributed model  - sort of like TCP/IP. Having to shut down or curtail any one distribution center wouldn't stop them. And there are lots of operations like warehouse work that can be made 90% safer environments once we have some mask production.

2 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Which is why dumb videos like this, while super dramatic, are meaningless. It only illustrates our complete lack of testing two weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm hoping the paper from Oxford is actually true, that millions more have already gotten it and gotten over it in the past couple of months than previously thought. It sounds like wishful thinking, for sure, but given how little we still know about this disease, it's basically about as likely as anything else.

My wife tried to do a pick up order thru one of the major super market chains here. There was a several day wait, she did manage to find a pickup window thru Gordon Foods today. Amazon was available for “fresh” vegetables.

We’ve been utilizing Home Fresh as well. Yesterday’s shipment was cancelled (supply chain issues?) New delivery set up for Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

My wife tried to do a pick up order thru one of the major super market chains here. There was a several day wait, she did manage to find a pickup window thru Gordon Foods today. Amazon was available for “fresh” vegetables.

We’ve been utilizing Home Fresh as well. Yesterday’s shipment was cancelled (supply chain issues?) New delivery set up for Tuesday.

Mrs. Jaymo set up a Meijer delivery for today. The delivery driver was probably late 60's so now she feels guilty.

Fortunately for me I have a weaker conscience.