chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't agree that more money equates to better candidates.  We can disagree on that.

How do you expect a good candidate to compete with another candidate with money? 65 million people voted for Hillary. If those $65 million average $20 in donations, she would have $1.3 billion for her campaign. Hiring staff and running ads isn't free.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

How do you expect a good candidate to compete with another candidate with money? 65 million people voted for Hillary. If those $65 million average $20 in donations, she would have $1.3 billion for her campaign. Hiring staff and running ads isn't free.

Sure, I understand there are going to be expenses.  But I ain't pitching in to either party.  Neither one speaks for me.  So why would I?

34 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

rural american may get hit harder

Rural NH is already worried.  They are begging out-of-state hikers (especially Massholes) not to go hiking in the White Mountains now as there is almost no hospital capacity up there.  I miss it already.     

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Rural NH is already worried.  They are begging out-of-state hikers (especially Massholes) not to go hiking in the White Mountains now as there is almost no hospital capacity up there.  I miss it already.     

That's great.

We just went for a walk on the bike trail and its crowded.  Metroparks and trails around here have remained open (buildings and playgrounds have been closed), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them closed with the weather breaking and more people heading to them.  I noticed people seemed to be conscientious of spacing, so maybe with that it'll be fine, I don't know.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Honest question: can the Trumpers simply order cease and desist and have it go into force for any or no reason? Or is there something specific they cite with these commercials?

I believe all they can do is sue - and good luck with that. There is no more 'public figure' in the public figure exemption than the Pres.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I will never give a dime to any of these clowns.  

well, at least you got what you paid for! xD

Here’s some news that I find encouraging, because Mt. Sinai Hospital/Medical is outstanding, and if they’re getting involved at this level, it’s the road we need to be on. 

E94622A5-4C8D-4B99-8B35-02B89BFE3939.png

The aggregate of the polls show Trump's approval rate to be at an all-time high.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

His daily propaganda briefings are reeling them in.  He may be ignorant, but his marketing and self-promotion skills are top notch.  

Of course, part of it is that Americans tend to rally around the president - any president - in times of crisis.  

People are stupid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Sure, I'll empty out my coffers and then still get overbid by the corporations.  And then what do I have to show for it?

actually not true. The amount that corp are willing to donate is dwarfed by the numbers when a candidate has broad appeal. Obama raised  something like a billion in individual I-net donations in his first campaign easy peasy.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Kind of funny how we have the people who think all politicians are clowns and I would never donate to them because I'm not a sheep and then simultaneously complain how corporations buy elections. Campaign needs to get funding somewhere. 

20200325_162621.thumb.jpg.85e2c4c692241e76a1195f29f5e0b5c8.jpg

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The aggregate of the polls show Trump's approval rate to be at an all-time high.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

His daily propaganda briefings are reeling them in.  He may be ignorant, but his marketing and self-promotion skills are top notch.  

Of course, part of it is that Americans tend to rally around the president - any president - in times of crisis.  

People are stupid.  

The bump in approval is real, but to be fair, a lot of it is a "rally around the flag" effect.... you see the same thing in polls of other world leaders (such as Emmanuel Macron and Boris Johnson, who have received bigger bumps in popular opinion than Trump has), as well as domestic leaders (such as Gretchen Whitmer, see below).

The bigger question is whether it will last as the situation unfolds. A lot of that will come down to how the administration handles the crisis going forward.

I don't agree that more money equates to better candidates.  We can disagree on that.

a candidate needs a certain amount of money to get off the ground and buy some name recognition, but as Bloomberg proved, in the internet age the importance of TV advertising is dropping by the second, and it's TV advertising that soaks up most campaign money. Some of that money is now going to paid I-net advertising, but it has not been very effective because net advertising - at least so far - is much easier to ignore. (i-net money has been more effective buying false flag facebook and twitter info propagation) Money is probably still important if you want to reach the older demographics because they still process more of their political information from television.

if people with better judgement spend to support candidates, how would those candidate not be better than people spending money to buy candidates that offer them special interest loyalty?

Michigan cases updated to 2,856 confirmed and 60 deaths. Three days ago we were at 15 deaths. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

At 1:44, it’s not an ad. It’s a video for the choir. 

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

At 1:44, it’s not an ad. It’s a video for the choir. 

Maybe not for TV but keep circulating it around social media.

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

amazing; Dyson took 10 days to design a ventilator; making 15K

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/tech/dyson-ventilators-coronavirus/index.html

Well, they haven't made any yet - it needs to get cleared.

What's slightly less amazing is that our government ignored the actual ventilator firm that contacted them offering to make their design available to anyone who wanted it and, it appears, went with the massive Tory donor instead. I've no doubt that Dyson's product will be fine, but this needs all hands at the pumps, not just those who support Brexit and give money to the government.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Blue Square Thing said:

What's slightly less amazing is that our government ignored the actual ventilator firm that contacted them offering to make their design available to anyone who wanted it and, it appears, went with the massive Tory donor instead. I've no doubt that Dyson's product will be fine, but this needs all hands at the pumps, not just those who support Brexit and give money to the government.

during the zombie Apocalypse, if the guy next to you is wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey, you don't throw him over the ramparts to his death

(at least not until the zombies are destroyed)

51 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I live in a holiday home area. Last weekend we had all the second home cockwombles out of London up here - and a bunch of idiots in camper vans. Apparently there's more food in the supermarkets up here and less of the virus. Well there were - they've now bought up all of the food and have come to an area with substantially less health service capacity - almost certainly bringing more cases with them.

But, you know, it's just lovely on the coast.

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

during the zombie Apocalypse, if the guy next to you is wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey, you don't throw him over the ramparts to his death

(at least not until the zombies are destroyed)

Oh, sure, I'll take whatever Dyson can do for us. But it'd be useful if the idiots in the government had actually accepted help from other people as well.

It's taken until this evening for them to agree to be part of a massive EU wide ventilator buying programme. Virtually every other EU country immediately signed up to it apart from us (we're still eligible, thank god, during this year). We wouldn't want to be leaving an organisation which can organise something like making ventilators would we?

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Maybe not for TV but keep circulating it around social media.

But only among the choir. It’ll never reach the red hats. 

it needs to be repurposed as a 30 and bought on local tv stations. Especially Sinclair stations. 

39 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

It would have to have committee hearings for several months and then the FDA can start looking at them to see if they meet our high standards. We have to give all the senators and congressmen a reason for their jobs. So...in 2 or 3 years, we may buy a few and try them out. The red tape in this process just means more deaths. But we surely wouldn't want to purchase a faulty ventilator. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Largest 1 day jump yet in Michigan. 

Scary stuff and it’s only going to get much worse as hospitals get more overloaded and stressed.