chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

Oakland County is one of the wealthiest counties in America with a large population of expatriates -> more, if not much more, international air travel on a per person basis than a typical county. 

I suspect that has as much to do with how hard Michigan has been hit as anything.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Michigan had the 5th most cases in the country last I checked. I wonder if Michigan has been better at testing than other states? Remember when West Virginia had no cases? That was mostly because they were woefully under testing.

I also wonder how many people travel from Italy to Detroit because of Chrysler? I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit is near the top in the US for people traveling to and from Italy.

I would also add China, although flights to and from there were stopped about a month ago, could be a lingering issue. I know they were screening passengers since early in China's outbreak.

3 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I would also add China, although flights to and from there were stopped about a month ago, could be a lingering issue. I know they were screening passengers since early in China's outbreak.

Yeah, DTW probably rivals any other major airport in the Eastern United States in terms of routes to Asian destinations.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Oakland County is one of the wealthiest counties in America with a large population of expatriates -> more, if not much more, international air travel on a per person basis than a typical county. 

I suspect that has as much to do with how hard Michigan has been hit as anything.

This is probably right.

This is great.  I think even Trumpers would laugh at this one...maybe not.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Michigan had the 5th most cases in the country last I checked. I wonder if Michigan has been better at testing than other states? Remember when West Virginia had no cases? That was mostly because they were woefully under testing.

I also wonder how many people travel from Italy to Detroit because of Chrysler? I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit is near the top in the US for people traveling to and from Italy.

Yeah, lots of factors. Aside from the international connections, we still have a good number of large industrial facilities were people work in close contact for long periods of time in a day. And I bet it didn't help that UM went to spring break just as the virus was incubating everywhere. Those kids went all over the place, then came back for a week and spread it around between them, then several thousand of them went  to the TriCounties when they were sent home.

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

This is great.  I think even Trumpers would laugh at this one...maybe not.  

Better than I expected 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, lots of factors. Aside from the international connections, we still have a good number of large industrial facilities were people work in close contact for long periods of time in a day. And I bet it didn't help that UM went to spring break just as the virus was incubating everywhere. Those kids went all over the place, then came back for a week and spread it around between them, then several thousand of them went  to the TriCounties when they were sent home.

Wuhan is the home of China's auto industry too. 

I’m not so sure I’m going to die help the stock market. Are infected people going to go into nursing homes and infect people? At least they ought to make it fun. 
FF864954-62FB-4ECD-8BBD-9959863F24C8.thumb.jpeg.92230af78f04bd4d84afe2f23c2d7544.jpeg

And now it gets real.

Four cases in our town. The first one reported (a male- ) about a week ago.... tonight we’ve been notified that he died.

I’m devastated for his family.

I am also scared to death right now.

24 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

And now it gets real.

Four cases in our town. The first one reported (a male- in his 40’s) about a week ago.... tonight we’ve been notified that he died.

I’m devastated for his family.

I am also scared to death right now.

My husband and I and two of our children work in healthcare.  I see you.  However bad you think it is, it's 100x worse than that.   There aren't enough tests, not enough PPE, not enough people on the front lines. I have literally stopped talking to all the Trump supporters I know, including my own Father and siblings. They created this with their hatred, greed and stupidity.  Trump and the Republicans ******* knew and lied about it to make a buck and score political points.  I ******* hate them all.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Kacie said:

My husband and I and two of our children work in healthcare.  I see you.  However bad you think it is, it's 100x worse than that.   There aren't enough tests, not enough PPE, not enough people on the front lines. I have literally stopped talking to all the Trump supporters I know, including my own Father and siblings. They created this with their hatred, greed and stupidity.  Trump and the Republicans ******* knew and lied about it to make a buck and score political points.  I ******* hate them all.  

Kacie, I’m praying for all of you. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Kacie, I’m praying for all of you. 

Thank you.  Not a believer, but I'll take them.  Not a good time not to be a drinker or smoker or drug taker.  Seriously, though, everyone, stay home and listen to the medical experts.  Can't believe how many formerly smart people have turned so stupid over Trump.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

******* first amendment. I thought that was only for protecting Christians' rights to ignore laws.

Note the use of GOP presidents.  So as to shame the Trump supporter.

28 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Thank you.  Not a believer, but I'll take them.  Not a good time not to be a drinker or smoker or drug taker.  Seriously, though, everyone, stay home and listen to the medical experts.  Can't believe how many formerly smart people have turned so stupid over Trump.  

It’s Fox News and their fellow traveler media vehicles. The righteously indignant hate they spew is pure dopamine for our loved ones’ systems, and they’ve become addicts who need to keep getting that fix over and over, until they become a shell of what we remember them being. And the worst part is, it was all part of the business plan.

Talk about enemy of the people. 

• Like 1

Law and Order binge watching is a fascinating window into Manhattan crime.