chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I hope that by the end of April:

enough testing will have been done to at least make some minimally informed judgement on the risks of interacting with people in your community

the curve will at least start to flatten

progress will be made on identifying treatments for those affected

supply of PPE, hospital beds and respirators is stabilized

and information on re-infection is clarified

But end of May is more likely considering the President is still playing his stupid reality game show with our lives.

But really, a vaccine is 18 months away, that is what is needed to resume normalcy

I've been wondering about the prospect of some kind of therapeutic breakthrough or at least improvement and there are two ways to look at it: One, given the huge number of patients and the waiver of most trial impediments, the potential for rapid progress is high; OTOH, clinically, this is  viral pneumonia and docs have been looking at that for 90 years and if there was anything likely out there they have had plenty of time to find it. Overall it's hard to be optimistic.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Remember, Obama was ripped for giving a press conference in a tan suit. 

He didn't wear an American flag lapel pin once either. Thankfully Trump has a USA hat on while he gives press conferences and bungles the Covid-19 crisis. I certainly feel better because of his hat.

Not seeing any panic really.  I expect to see a lot more in the next week or so as states shut everything down and then Netflix starts to throttle bandwidth.  

6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

we will be lucky if this is as bad as it gets

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I've been wondering about the prospect of some kind of therapeutic breakthrough or at least improvement and there are two ways to look at it: One, given the huge number of patients and the waiver of most trial impediments, the potential for rapid progress is high; OTOH, clinically, this is  viral pneumonia and docs have been looking at that for 90 years and if there was anything likely out there they have had plenty of time to find it. Overall it's hard to be optimistic.

Yeah, I have had doctors tell me, when I was sick, that it's a virus and has to run it's course. 

32 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So, so tired of the excuses 

OK, my take on this. I heard a great man say this, I'm not sure if he was quoting someone else or not. This isn't the exact quote, I don't remember it exactly. But it's close. It was Sparky Anderson whom I heard it from;

Don't judge a man's character when things are going well for him, judge him when things aren't going his way.

And now we see Donald Trump's true (lack of) character.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

We have been seeing it for 40 years.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

We have been seeing it for 40 years.  

Yeah, we've all known he's a jerkoff but during a major crisis? It's really all about his sensitive feelings. Oh Donald...boo-hoo.

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

OK, my take on this. I heard a great man say this, I'm not sure if he was quoting someone else or not. This isn't the exact quote, I don't remember it exactly. But it's close. It was Sparky Anderson whom I heard it from;

Don't judge a man's character when things are going well for him, judge him when things aren't going his way.

But does he like ice cream. 

(sorry Dave Rucker)

Here is the original quote, in case anyone cares;

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
And this;
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I took this on the 405 near Long Beach yesterday at 3pm. Should have been full of cars. 

IMG_0118.jpg

It's been 13 years since I have been on the 405... even on a Sunday morning at 9:30 am it was like 696 at 5 pm Friday... x2.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

But does he like ice cream. 

(sorry Dave Rucker)

I haven't heard that name in a long time. A long time.  ;)

And yes, I remember what Sparky said.

:alien:

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

I took this on the 405 near Long Beach yesterday at 3pm. Should have been full of cars. 

IMG_0118.jpg

The 405 probably hasn't been that empty since the OJ chase. 

Indeed.

“We were very prepared,” the president said Thursday, during the daily coronavirus press briefing. He was replying to—if not responding to—a question about why the United States had been completely unprepared to test for the disease, even as other countries launched large-scale programs to track it and to try to control its spread. “The only thing we were not prepared for was the media,” he added. “The media has not treated it fairly.”

The president was, fitting the seriousness of the occasion, so far opposite the truth that he accidentally came around to accuracy again. If the media were treating the outbreak fairly, Donald Trump would not be able to stand at the presidential lectern and talk about how prepared he’d made sure America was without someone shoving him aside to hold up a picture of a dying nursing home patient, or to read a plea from doctors who don’t have enough masks. The only questions to ask him are: Why are you still here? And how many more people are going to be dead before you leave?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Umm ... wow.

Maybe the reason this makes sense is because Donald Trump is the one who should be raked over the coals for screwing the pooch on recognizing the seriousness of this crisis and delaying our response to it, but Tucker can't rake Trump, but someone needs to be sacrificed on the altar to protect Trump and deflect criticism, so Burr is the someone?

Even the sports writers are getting into how terrible Trump is. Maybe this is a good thing, Local sports writers may be the one news source Trumpers follow outside of their Fox bubble. 

There needs to be a very simple rule for this: You apply for a government bailout - the check is cut the day the entire Board, CEO, COO, and CFO are fired  and replaced, and no parachutes.

(this is the same thing they should do with #1 picks for the worst teams in sports leagues. forget the lotteries and ping ball machines - give the worst team the 1st pick, one the condition the GM and coach must be replaced and if it's the 2nd time in 5 yrs the the owner must sell. If you won't, you don't get  the pick. I bet we'd see a lot less tanking.

• Like 1