chasfh

Coronavirus: Coming to a Neighborhood Near You?

At the rate this story is accelerating and the effect it's starting to have on everything else in the world, it was inevitable that a thread would be created for it, so might as well do that now.

And hey, did you know there's an economic upside to it? It's true!

I expect to see outbreaks at the border facilities.  A significant portion of illegal border crossing are Chinese, and with the situation in that country presently I expect that smugglers are doing a booming business.

The hit our retirement investments are taking is pretty concerning, and really has my mom freaked out.   But honestly, I think this will blow over and they will recover.   

But at the end of the day, there isn't much we ordinary people can do except wash our hands a lot and avoid crowded public places when we can.  Which is something we are already doing because this year's flu shot was such a dud.  I've been using hand gel like it's my job since September. 

46 minutes ago, Melody said:

The hit our retirement investments are taking is pretty concerning, and really has my mom freaked out.   But honestly, I think this will blow over and they will recover.   

We’ve put in a request to cash out a large portion of my wife’s TIAA account.

The money is going toward down payment on retirement home. Trying to avoid any more major damage before we close in early June

Noting that some large cities are closing their public schools for a month.  I guess it's wise, but not sure how effective it will be.  Here in the states, the kids just head to the mall or daycares.  

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I expect to see outbreaks at the border facilities.  A significant portion of illegal border crossing are Chinese, and with the situation in that country presently I expect that smugglers are doing a booming business.

I personally doubt that will prove to be a source of an outbreak.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Don't know why not.  They have battled flu outbreaks, measles, mumps, and even Tuberculosis.  

My wifes cousin is heading overseas in a few days, her mother is a teacher and they are closing the schools for a couple weeks because they had a couple outbreaks in the country.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Everything bad in this country has its origin at the border.  

4 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

My wifes cousin is heading overseas in a few days, her mother is a teacher and they are closing the schools for a couple weeks because they had a couple outbreaks in the country.

An international airport or aircraft is probably the last place I would want to be right now.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

But at the end of the day, there isn't much we ordinary people can do except wash our hands a lot and avoid crowded public places when we can.  Which is something we are already doing because this year's flu shot was such a dud.  I've been using hand gel like it's my job since September. 

We can also vote for politicians who respect science and the funding of public health agencies.

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

In this case, it is coming over our borders by legal and potentially illegal means.   The issue is that those who are undocumented are far less likely to seek immediate medical attention, are often traveling in crowded and unsanitary conditions,  and can infect a whole lot more people with patient zero more difficult to identify and track.    They are more at risk for death than otherwise healthy people.

I think the press is ginning up a lot of concern, though.  We had people freaking out here over a couple of cases early in the outbreak, both at college campuses.  But as it turned out, it wasn't Covid 19.  Just a common coronavirus that isn't typically severe.

Concerns as well over inaccuracy of the tests.   They are finding both false positives and false negatives.    On the positive side, there are already potential vaccines submitted to the government for testing and approval.  One was from a bio medical company here.  Trying to find the article I read.

Ah yes, the old "media conspiracy" angle. Where have I heard that one before? Hmmm ...

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Just ask the Native Americans when the Europeans arrived. 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Ah yes, the old "media conspiracy" angle. Where have I heard that one before? Hmmm ...

That wasn't what I meant, only that they really aren't using the best judgement in the drive to be first in reporting every new suspected case.  I gave specific examples.  Some restraint is called for.

Just now, Melody said:

That wasn't what I meant, only that they really aren't using the best judgement in the drive to be first in reporting every new suspected case.  I gave specific examples.  Some restraint is called for.

Coronavirus is the biggest news story on the planet at the moment, but I'm not locating your specific examples about media overreach? Or was it something else you meant?

1 hour ago, Melody said:

... Here in the states, the kids just head to the mall ...

Kids head to the mall? Where do you live? 2002? ?

I normally scoff at this kind of thinking but we may go out and buy a few months of groceries this weekend.  We usually do that once a year anyway.  We have a huge freezer that's always half full.  I mean worst case I can walk to my gas station 1/4 a mile away and get my beef sticks.