wockenfussy

Riley Greene

On 2/27/2020 at 11:29 PM, Charles Liston said:

It could be worse though, it could be that baseball was emulating the armed forces and their HR practices.

are you now or have you ever been a member of the communist party?

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, bobrob2004 said:

Once you add a player to the 40-man roster, then that start's his "clock."  At the moment, Greene is not on the Tigers 40-man roster, so they could stretch it out until they have to put him on there to protect him from the rule 5 draft.  

What are the qualifications to be eligible for the rule 5 draft? 4 years with the same organization and not protected on the 40 man roster? Asking for a friend...

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

What are the qualifications to be eligible for the rule 5 draft? 4 years with the same organization and not protected on the 40 man roster? Asking for a friend...

It depends on the age when they first sign.  19 and older it's 4 years; 18 and younger it's 5 years.

If Riley isn't playing in Det in 4yr the importance of protecting him will have fallen substantially.

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If Riley isn't playing in Det in 4yr the importance of protecting him will have fallen substantially.

This.

You have 4 years just to put a guy on a 40 after that its 3 more years. If it takes Riley 4-7 years to get to Detroit, something has gone terribly wrong. 

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This.

You have 4 years just to put a guy on a 40 after that its 3 more years. If it takes Riley 4-7 years to get to Detroit, something has gone terribly wrong. 

9E21B2A0-9621-4F38-95A0-1BD8F93B0A02.jpeg

I would guess Lloyd is on the glide path out of the inner circle. He was a Leyland guy and Gardenhire has re-assembled MN people into positions that count- Anderson and Vavra as pitching and hitting coaches.

The Tigers assistant hitting coach was a .400 hitter for the Tigers.  

How come the Giants have like 20 coaches, with one of them being a woman?  

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

How come the Giants have like 20 coaches, with one of them being a woman?  

Are you questioning the number of coaches or the fact that one is a woman?  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The Tigers assistant hitting coach was a .400 hitter for the Tigers.  

The Tigers head hitting coach never made it to the majors!

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Are you questioning the number of coaches or the fact that one is a woman?  

Yes.  But seriously, they have 3 hitting coaches and 3 pitching coaches.  Why?  

I only bring up the fact that one is a women because it should have been bigger news.  

12 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I only bring up the fact that one is a women because it should have been bigger news.  

probably would have been anywhere other than SF.

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If the Dodgers, Yankees or Astros hired multiple coaches, people would ohh and ahh over their ingenuity.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

probably would have been anywhere other than SF.

If it happened in Boston or New York, it would be huge national story.  We would know everything about her life and every member of their coaching staff and front office would be a household name.  

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If it happened in Boston or New York, it would be huge national story.  We would know everything about her life and every member of their coaching staff and front office would be a household name.  

Kim Ng was the assistant GM for LA and now a higher up with MLB. Nobody knows who she is 

"Kim Ng"? That's about equivalent to 'Jane Doe' in Vietnamese. No wonder no-one knows her.    :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Kim Ng was the assistant GM for LA and now a higher up with MLB. Nobody knows who she is 

That's because LA is not Boston!

Also, there is a difference between a coach and a front office person.  Front office people are geeks and nerds, so it doesn't matter too much if a woman is hired.  Coaches are supposed to be grumpy old men who spit and swear every other word.    

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

If it happened in Boston or New York...

...she would be in Cooperstown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

No, I remember hearing about her before.  I thought she was at one point rumored to be one of the top GMs to be.  I didn't realize she had moved to a role with MLB.

Aubrey Huff wasn’t a fan of her becoming a coach. He once got yelled at for wearing a thong around female reporters and he wondered how that would work now with “girl coaches”. 

37 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Aubrey Huff wasn’t a fan of her becoming a coach. He once got yelled at for wearing a thong around female reporters and he wondered how that would work now with “girl coaches”. 

I would think he'd have a bigger problem wearing a thong around men.  

It seems like Riley is getting more time than anybody in recent memory with the big club as young as he is.

49 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

It seems like Riley is getting more time than anybody in recent memory with the big club as young as he is.

and he is justifying it by getting on base.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

No, I remember hearing about her before.  I thought she was at one point rumored to be one of the top GMs to be.  I didn't realize she had moved to a role with MLB.

She was named as a possible GM or president of baseball operations for SF after Bobby Evans was removed from his post as I recall. Zaidi got the gig instead.