wockenfussy

Riley Greene

Al Kaline debuted with a short stint with the Tigers at age 18. He was an everyday player at age 19 and won his batting title at 20. I’m not advocating for Greene to break camp with the Tigers in 2020. But it might seem he could be a regular in 2021, at age 20. The Tigers may not compete in 2021. But a full year of MLB experience ahead of our intended competing window would be invaluable to Greene and the franchise. I’m drooling at he and Torkelson back to back in the lineup. 

Kaline had to stick with the big club. He was a big bonus baby and per mlb rules at that time, if given a bonus of a certain amount the player had to stay in the bigs, for I believe at least 2 years. Killebrew and Koufax were similar. That said, it's a different game with the speed and types of pitches. And.....Riley isn't Kaline. Trout made his debut at 19, but I see no need to rush him. Low and hi A this year. AA and AAA next, then maybe a cup of coffee in 2021 with a chance to stick in 2022. Of course if he does progress like Trout it could go quicker. And I could see it taking another year too. Just my 3 cents.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Kaline had to stick with the big club. He was a big bonus baby and per mlb rules at that time, if given a bonus of a certain amount the player had to stay in the bigs, for I believe at least 2 years. Killebrew and Koufax were similar. That said, it's a different game with the speed and types of pitches. And.....Riley isn't Kaline. Trout made his debut at 19, but I see no need to rush him. Low and hi A this year. AA and AAA next, then maybe a cup of coffee in 2021 with a chance to stick in 2022. Of course if he does progress like Trout it could go quicker. And I could see it taking another year too. Just my 3 cents.

Good information about the old bonus baby rules. I’d overlooked that. 

I joke about Riley's skills in tongue and cheek but realistically I know he's far from a sure thing and has a lot more to prove before we can really start to consider him ready for the majors.

I think as Tigers fans it's been so long since we've had any positional prospects to really be excited about that we tend to get overly excited about guys like Greene.  

I mean before Greene when was the last time we had anybody close to being as highly viewed as him?  Maybin 15 years ago? Or maybe to a lesser extent Castellanos 8-9 years ago?   

I do have a feeling in my gut when I see him swing - he might be special. Of course that could also be the food truck tacos I had for lunch

• Haha 1

I went to a single game last year. And we lost. To the Chicago White Sox… The DTE girls were standing right in front of us the whole time preening and texting. Somehow we survived.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Taco trucks are special.

There is nothing more American than taco trucks and cargo shorts.

I don't believe teams sit around and plot development schedules for players other than having to plan for the work load of young pitchers. Riley will get here on a schedule that hinges more than anything else on how good he actually is. Like Trout, if he is really good, he will blow through the reset of the system in one season.   If he doesn't, it's only because he is not quite that good - not because someone in the FO is planning on what year they want to see him debut.

We've seen some very young players get promoted to the big leagues and have success, but they were usually brought up to a team that had a solid lineup around them.     Even if he did well enough to warrant a call up this year,  I wouldn't stick him in the middle of that lineup.    He could be in the bigs as a regular by 21, but then again, Mike Laga had some epic spring trainings too.  

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't believe teams sit around and plot development schedules for players other than having to plan for the work load of young pitchers. Riley will get here on a schedule that hinges more than anything else on how good he actually is. Like Trout, if he is really good, he will blow through the reset of the system in one season.   If he doesn't, it's only because he is not quite that good - not because someone in the FO is planning on what year they want to see him debut.

I agree but it does get a bit tricky when you start talking about service time.  If he tears thru the minors this year, do you call him up in September?  If you call him up in September and he performs well, it becomes harder to keep him off the major league roster to start next season.  Especially since would you have to hold him out longer to keep him from accruing a full year of service time by the end of 2021. 

7 hours ago, leflore said:

Just my 3 cents.

Damn inflation.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Rob, I did not go to a single game last season.

You up to catching a game this season?  Beers on me.

Absolutely.  Cargo shorts and all... 

Tram and Lou were 19 and 20 when they  got the September call up in 1977. 

cargo shorts weren't a thing yet but Farrah Fawcett was so we managed

Riley's swing reminds me of Cody Bellinger's swing. Not saying that he's going to be the player, but he has a chance. I would assume he would be up in 2022, and I hope the Tigers sign him to a long team friendly deal then.

7 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

16 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't extend that invite to just anyone, mind you.

Sounds like it was directed at Rob.  So anyone named Rob should take full advantage.

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I wonder if they watch Greene's playing time this season?  He mentioned he felt like he ran into a wall last season.  I don't doubt pitchers get more scrutiny than outfielders in terms of how to increase from a high school/college schedule to a professional schedule.  Maybe that wall is just a one year transition from one phase (amateur) to the next (professional).

Regardless, its nice to see him playing well early in Lakeland.

9 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Read a book that discussed the big deal Farrah was.  A large part of her appeal was because females accepted her.  Why?  Because she was 30.  Back then it was figured that pretty women in entertainment were done in their 20s.   So you had a generation of boomer women who could identify with a real sex symbol who was the same age.  Her iconic poster was done before she was famous, for a friend.  It wasn't a deal at the time.  It was after she got on Charlie's Angel that her publicist found the poster and capitalized on it.  Not liking to wear bras was a convenient coincidence. 

Marilyn Monroe had a similar effect during her time.... and the same for the ladies on Dynasty.  Not in terms of being sex symbols but rather they could play roles that focused on their relationships and whatnot and not just be the mom or grandma in the background.