Casimir

02/28/2020 9:00 EST Detroit Pistons vs Phoenix Suns

02/28/2020 9:00 EST from Phoenix, Arizona...

DET-2020.png  PHO-2020.png

Detroit Pistons (19-41) vs Phoenix Suns (24-34)

Some games not over tonight that might change things.  But right now Detroit is 1.5 games out of the #2 spot in the lottery.

pistons and red wings in a titanic battle to see who can lose the most games in a row.

it would be funny if the lions were the most successful detroit franchise this year, picking as high as #3!

17 hours ago, Buddha said:

it would be funny if the lions were the most successful detroit franchise this year, picking as high as #3!

I can't speak for the Wings cause I don't really follow hockey but what is most frustrating about the rest of the Detroit teams is that not only do they suck but they don't have all this great young talent to make you think that they can be good in the coming years.

Yes the Tigers have some great pitching prospects and have the top pick this June but it's not like they have this blow away farm system like say the Royals had 7 or 8 years ago or what the Padres have now.   They have a good system but it's not any better than in division rival White Sox and unlike the Tigers they have some young talent already on the team.   

Same with the Pistons.  If say they had a young team like Memphis or even Atlanta that had potential superstars on the team you wouldn't feel so bad about them sucking.  But of course they don't.   It's like not only do all the Detroit teams suck but there is no light at the end of the tunnel for any of them either.  

The Wings don't have much young talent either, but if I squint I suppose they have more than the other 3 teams?

Pretty low bar, though.

19 hours ago, Buddha said:

pistons and red wings in a titanic battle to see who can lose the most games in a row.

Pistons, Red Wings, Lions, Tigers. Has there ever been a major sports market that has ever had 4 teams this bad? Can't be. Not much of a future for any of them either although that depends on how the Red Wings and Lions drafts go this year. Lafreniere and Young would be mega franchise players for those two teams.

Think about it. The Red Wings and Tigers had two of the worst ever seasons, the Lions were 3rd worst and the Pistons are on track to be bottom 5. It's remarkable ineptitude. It's a good thing I'm only a fan of two of these teams (Oilers and Yanks in the other two sports), I can't imagine what the poor saps who are fans of all 4 teams are going through.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Wings don't have much young talent either, but if I squint I suppose they have more than the other 3 teams?

Pretty low bar, though.

I come down on the other side - maybe just because I follow baseball closer than hockey now, but I think the Tigers are closer to being good - at least time wise, than the Wings. I suppose part of that is because it's easier for a baseball team to pick up enough hitting in just a couple of FA cycles to go with the pitching the Tigers have in the pipeline than it is going to be for the Wings to come with the dozen or so better players they are going to need to get to the same place.

Yeah - if you have 3 ace caliber pitchers, you can patch enough around it to be .500 at least, and really should be sniffing play-offs.

But I'd place the likelihood they have 3 such guys in the minors at < 5%

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Oilers?

I can accept the Yankees as I presume you are from NY.

But Oilers?

I know, it's odd. Every time I go to Rangers games with my Oilers colors, I get those questions.

I became a fan in the late 90s when they beat the heavily favoured Stars in Game 7 in 1997 if you recall. It was a fun team to watch and their fanbase seemed really passionate so I got hooked unfortunately and I say unfortunately  because they've been almost as bad as the Lions the last 20 years.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah - if you have 3 ace caliber pitchers, you can patch enough around it to be .500 at least, and really should be sniffing play-offs.

But I'd place the likelihood they have 3 such guys in the minors at < 5%

I guess the other factor in the Wings favor is that Yzerman is a more proven commodity at GM than Avila is. We are relatively sure Yzerman knows what he is doing, the jury is still very much out on Avila.

Same Vecenie released his 3.0 version of his top 100 prospects.

Rank Player, school/team Pos. Age Ht. Wingspan
1 Anthony Edwards, Georgia G 18 6-4 6-8
2 LaMelo Ball, Illawarra Hawks G 18 6-6 N/A
3 Deni Avdija, Maccabi Tel Aviv F 18 6-9 N/A
4 James Wiseman, Memphis C 18 7-1 7-6
5 Killian Hayes, Ulm G 18 6-5 N/A