Of course, last summer Dish and Fox sports failed to get an agreement resulting in losing Tiger baseball on TV for Dish subscribers. This turned out to be ok because the Tigers were in the middle of a terrible season.  However, with a new season comes optimism although it's a subdued optimism and I would like the opportunity to watch the games.   Is there anyone out there that could help me out with information on how to watch the Tigers this season? I might add that I really don't want to watch the game on my computer.   Thank you for any help you can give.

mlb.tv

If you're local and subject to blackout, you can use a VPN which disguises your location. If you use Chrome, there are extensions for that. Most are 2 or 3 bucks a month, but I think there are free ones as well. Not sure I would trust them though. Maybe someone with more experience there could help out. 

You can look into subscribing to a streaming service, like YouTube TV.  YouTube TV is $50/month and you'll also be double dipping in cable channels, but it does have Fox Sports Detroit, assuming that you are in the Detroit market.  You will also need a streaming device like a Roku or Firestick.  PS4 and XBox also works.  You'll also need a strong internet connection.   

YouTube TV might not be the cheapest option, though.  

If you have internet access there are very few reasons to continue subscribing to dish/directv/comcast television services. Right?

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

You can look into subscribing to a streaming service, like YouTube TV.  YouTube TV is $50/month and you'll also be double dipping in cable channels, but it does have Fox Sports Detroit, assuming that you are in the Detroit market.  You will also need a streaming device like a Roku or Firestick.  PS4 and XBox also works.  You'll also need a strong internet connection.   

YouTube TV might not be the cheapest option, though.  

You will also be on a delay on YouTube TV.   Stay away from MTS game threads during the action.  

39 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You will also be on a delay on YouTube TV.   Stay away from MTS game threads during the action.  

This advice applies regardless of video service. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know you said you didn't want to stream through your computer, but mlb.com has a package for just one team for about $100. per year. A little less if you are a veteran. You can then stream to a smart tv if you have one. You will need a fairly fast broadband service but it works good.

21 minutes ago, iholly said:

I know you said you didn't want to stream through your computer, but mlb.com has a package for just one team for about $100. per year. A little less if you are a veteran. You can then stream to a smart tv if you have one. You will need a fairly fast broadband service but it works good.

This only works if he is out of the Detroit market because of blackout restrictions.  He could use a VPN, but I personally won't advocate it.  

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

This only works if he is out of the Detroit market because of blackout restrictions.  He could use a VPN, but I personally won't advocate it.  

This is true also for any team Detroit plays away for the team market you are in.

12 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

The MLB blackout thing is just asinine. They could work out a revenue pass-through system so that any 'siphoning' effect that degraded the value of the local telecasters rights was compensated. From the team's perspective, more eyeballs is *always* better, so their interest in the MLB blackout is only indirect in terms of how it might affect their TV contracts. So fix that part and let both systems carry the games.

7 minutes ago, iholly said:

This is true also for any team Detroit plays away for the team market you are in.

Yup. When were were in Minneapolis, I had the 'extra innings' package on cable. When the Tigers played the Twins the games were blacked out on extra innings in MN because those games were available on the Twins Fox North network.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. 

Happens all the time. No deal, each side begs you to call the other. Then a week before the season tehy reach an agreement. 

52 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The MLB blackout thing is just asinine. They could work out a revenue pass-through system so that any 'siphoning' effect that degraded the value of the local telecasters rights was compensated. From the team's perspective, more eyeballs is *always* better, so their interest in the MLB blackout is only indirect in terms of how it might affect their TV contracts. So fix that part and let both systems carry the games.

MLb.tv doesn't have commerical which is what we are talking about for eyeballs. It doesn't matter to FSD if someone like me watches the game. It's about that local number for ad and rights fees. So the workaround unless your going to compensate for the loss of ad eyeballs and cable cost (you're not without a massive price increase) it won't happen. 

19 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

MLb.tv doesn't have commerical which is what we are talking about for eyeballs. It doesn't matter to FSD if someone like me watches the game. It's about that local number for ad and rights fees. So the workaround unless your going to compensate for the loss of ad eyeballs and cable cost (you're not without a massive price increase) it won't happen. 

I don't argue your point about money having to change hands, but I don't think the amount is going to be out of the ball park. Heck - let MLB provide the home telecast with the commercials in the blackout area - problem solved. 🤝

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't argue your point about money having to change hands, but I don't think the amount is going to be out of the ball park. 

On average a regional sports network had $180 million in cable revenue in a given year. 

I'm in Minneapolis now and I go with the mlb.tv package. It's $129 for the season and I can watch any game except Twins games, so I miss 19 Tigers games a year. I can watch all Twins games 2 hours after the game is over. I like to watch a lot of baseball. I've probably watched JV pitch 30 times for Houston. 

13 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

On average a regional sports network had $180 million in cable revenue in a given year. 

But if they carry the feed with ads, it''s not FSN that would lose out, the only loser would be the cable operator. FSN increases it's share for advertising if viewers stream who would otherwise not be watching on a cable system. So lets say in the Detroit area 50k people stream a game, and say 1/2 of them are doing it inplace of a cable subscription - it seems the only loser is the cable system's 25K. Is that going to be worth more than someone would be willing to make up?

I imagine the hang-up is running the cable broadcast ads over the net. Makes no sense to me but I'm sure there is probably some rule against it.

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't argue your point about money having to change hands, but I don't think the amount is going to be out of the ball park. Heck - let MLB provide the home telecast with the commercials in the blackout area - problem solved. 🤝

The problem with that is that it undermines the investment the RSN made in securing the rights, both in ad revenue (which MLB would want a cut of), and in loss of viewership for lead-in and lead-out programming. It also does nothing to encourage people to subscribe to the RSN in general (a big part of the value of securing sports rights in the first place), since people have been cutting the cord in part to get around having to pay overall RSN fees to fund programs they probably won't watch.

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But if they carry the feed with ads, it''s not FSN that would lose out, the only loser would be the cable operator. 

You missed the parts about rights fees.

Every cable channel sets a fee that cable companies pay to carry their channel. (That is what the direct tv dispute is over)

ESPN is the highest in the land at a $1.10 a subscriber I believe. So for every subscriber comcast has they pay ESPN a $1.10. Fsd is obviously lower. But still not chump change. Probably around 50 cents. 

So switching eliminating the blackout hurts that rights fee. If people cut the cord because they can kept the games via mlb.tv then that is less money coming into fsd.

24 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You missed the parts about rights fees.

Every cable channel sets a fee that cable companies pay to carry their channel. (That is what the direct tv dispute is over)

ESPN is the highest in the land at a $1.10 a subscriber I believe. So for every subscriber comcast has they pay ESPN a $1.10. Fsd is obviously lower. But still not chump change. Probably around 50 cents. 

So switching eliminating the blackout hurts that rights fee. If people cut the cord because they can kept the games via mlb.tv then that is less money coming into fsd.

I understand that, but MLB would have new income coming from the steaming subscribers that is more than $1 per viewer so I still would content that it's not that there isn't enough pie to go around, it's that there is just no set of contractual frameworks that people have agreed to to make it work. They would rather all gnaw their own pie than share a bigger one.