Jump to content

Mr.TaterSalad

Rumor: Lions In Talks To Trade Matt Stafford

Recommended Posts

WDIV: Lions in Talks to Trade Stafford

Sources close to Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions have confirmed to Local 4′s Bernie Smilovitz that trade talks concerning the quarterback have been underway for a couple of weeks.

First Kenny gets fired, now Stafford may get traded, what's next, Jim Harbaugh leaves Michigan? Maybe it's Tua time afterall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

WDIV: Lions in Talks to Trade Stafford

Sources close to Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions have confirmed to Local 4′s Bernie Smilovitz that trade talks concerning the quarterback have been underway for a couple of weeks.

First Kenny gets fired, now Stafford may get traded, what's next, Jim Harbaugh leaves Michigan? Maybe it's Tua time afterall?

Just watch the Lions trade Stafford and then Washington trades out of the #2 to Miami, who take Tua.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Just watch the Lions trade Stafford and then Washington trades out of the #2 to Miami, who take Tua.

That would be the Lions luck but if that were to happen I hope they just stay the course and take Chase Young and just wait till next year when Lawrence, Fields and whomever else comes out to potentially take a QB.   I'd rather do that then just take a lesser QB like Herbert just cause you feel you have to.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta have a better source than Bernie.  He's fake news, unless it's a squirrel on a surf board...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Just watch the Lions trade Stafford and then Washington trades out of the #2 to Miami, who take Tua.

They’d probably draft Joey 2.0 in that situation.    Who am I kidding, it’s the Lions they might take Herbert at #3 even if Tua is still on the board.   
 

There are also more short term starter level QBs available this offseason than any in recent memory.   That would be an option as well.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the Lions restructure his contract? Wouldn't the enormous cap hit be even larger? My guess is teams have called the Lions and that equates to them discussing trades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Just watch the Lions trade Stafford and then Washington trades out of the #2 to Miami, who take Tua.

this is exactly what i thought the minute i saw your headline!  the most lions thing ever.

also, i dont believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't the Lions restructure his contract? Wouldn't the enormous cap hit be even larger? My guess is teams have called the Lions and that equates to them discussing trades. 

thats what i read.  like $19 million in dead money this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't the Lions restructure his contract? Wouldn't the enormous cap hit be even larger? My guess is teams have called the Lions and that equates to them discussing trades. 

If they are truly interested in Tua and concede next season as a growing pains season for him, they may be ok with the $19M cap hit, have a poor to meh season -> secure more good picks in the '21 draft.

Requires Martha to be on board, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chargers seem like a team looking for an established starter. The Lions could pry the 6th pick and sign a stopgap like Rivers. I doubt Tua or the picks they receive will be better than Stafford but Stafford deserves better than this ****ty team and fan base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Chargers would be the best fit as well.  I really have no idea how to value veteran QBs like Stafford cause I really can't think of any instances where they were traded so would the 6th pick be possible?  Or is that too much or even too little?    I know Cutler fetched two 1st from the Bears but he was younger at that point and I imagine had a more favorable contract so not sure if that would be a comparable scenario.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to say what’s true and what isn’t.   Either way, it’s good if other teams are unsure what they may do.  More opportunity for Chase Young to be there at #3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I think the Chargers would be the best fit as well.  I really have no idea how to value veteran QBs like Stafford cause I really can't think of any instances where they were traded so would the 6th pick be possible?  Or is that too much or even too little?    I know Cutler fetched two 1st from the Bears but he was younger at that point and I imagine had a more favorable contract so not sure if that would be a comparable scenario.  

From what I understand, Stafford's contract is favorable to the team that acquires him. It's the Lions that get ****** on the contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Hard to say what’s true and what isn’t.   Either way, it’s good if other teams are unsure what they may do.  More opportunity for Chase Young to be there at #3. 

Yes. This is a strategic fake leak. You need to create the smoke around this now. About a month before the draft we will hear something similar. In fact, they should probably engage a few teams in discussion to get more leaks cooking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this makes zero sense. Martha put these guys on a short leash. "Win now" would have to mean Quinn keeps Stafford right where he is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Quinn says the rumor is 100% false. 

I get how it may help Lions if other teams believe there is a possibility of the rumor.   I’m not sure how it helps the Lions for Quinn to come out and say it’s 100% false?  
 

Why not just shut up and say nothing.  The guy never talks anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I get how it may help Lions if other teams believe there is a possibility of the rumor.   I’m not sure how it helps the Lions for Quinn to come out and say it’s 100% false?  
 

Why not just shut up and say nothing.  The guy never talks anyway.  

Perhaps out of respect for Stafford. Still, teams and fans will probably still believe the rumor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could help the Lions if some team thinks they have to open negotiations with a 'blow them away' offer on Stafford.

In any event, I think it is meaningless.  I think teams are largely aware of who is truly up for grabs and not independent of what a team signals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It could help the Lions if some team thinks they have to open negotiations with a 'blow them away' offer on Stafford.

In any event, I think it is meaningless.  I think teams are largely aware of who is truly up for grabs and not independent of what a team signals.

Yes. I agree its probably a very minor advantage if any, as most teams probably don’t put that much weight in these rumors.   Still, if it’s out there then it doesn’t hurt to let it stay out there.   Matthew Stafford can handle the rumors.  He’s paid a lot of money to be a professional and this is part of the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$31 million cap charge if Stafford is cut or traded...~$21 million cap number if Stafford is on the roster. 

They did a renegotiation a month ago that pretty much precluded any kind of trade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kdog said:

$31 million cap charge if Stafford is cut or traded...~$21 million cap number if Stafford is on the roster. 

They did a renegotiation a month ago that pretty much precluded any kind of trade.

Bingo. They couldn't trade him even if they wanted to, on top of the fact that it makes no sense for a GM and coach on the hot seat to trade their best player and start a rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kdog said:

$31 million cap charge if Stafford is cut or traded...~$21 million cap number if Stafford is on the roster. 

They did a renegotiation a month ago that pretty much precluded any kind of trade.

It’s obviously not something you would do if you are trying to compete this upcoming season. But I think if you are hypothetically trading stafford you aren’t trying to compete this season anyway. But using an extra 10 million of cap space to facilitate a trade that brought back good assets could be justified, I think. 
 

And doesn’t the restricted deal make him more cap friendly to a team that might be interested. If so, that could also improve the return. 
 

It’s a moot point. They aren’t going to trade him. But I don’t think the restructuring is much of a factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose if you are Washington and you don't want Tua but would really like to persuade the Dolphins they need to offer you something more for the 2nd pick than they have so far, then anything that add to the belief that Tua will be gone before they pick is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...