Tenacious D

2020 Spring Training

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Bergman (Dave) is way older than Altuve.

I had a flashback to 1984.  I was young again.  I would welcome Bergman or Bregman though.  

Cody Stavenhagen

Check out this from Ron Gardenhire and Rick Anderson on Franklin Perez. ?

“We have a lot of top prospects ... (Anderson) said, watching his pens, he could be THE top prospect if he can stay healthy, because the ball really comes out. It’s pretty powerful.

when I throw a ball, it comes out of my hand.

does that mean I could have played baseball professionally?

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

when I throw a ball, it comes out of my hand.

does that mean I could have played baseball professionally?

It has to REALLY come out.

When you think about Franklin Perez and his future  - just think this............Every day you wake up you are one day closer to your death.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kdog said:

Cody Stavenhagen

Check out this from Ron Gardenhire and Rick Anderson on Franklin Perez. ?

“We have a lot of top prospects ... (Anderson) said, watching his pens, he could be THE top prospect if he can stay healthy, because the ball really comes out. It’s pretty powerful.

How nice would it be for Perez to get back on track. We all talk about the big 3, could imagine a fourth to that group that we all basically forgot about. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

How nice would it be for Perez to get back on track. We all talk about the big 3, could imagine a fourth to that group that we all basically forgot about. 

So something similar to Steve Avery

On 2/19/2020 at 9:33 AM, Tigrrfan said:

What might be the odds that the Astros first batter this season gets thrown at with the very first pitch?

How about the second pitch?

The Astros first regular season game is March 26 against the Los Angeles Angels in Houston.  

With so many players speaking out against the Astro cheaters ..I wonder if at some point this season that one of those outspoken players might be intentionally thrown at by an Astro pitcher?

Side Note:  In case anybody did not know ..the Tigers play the Astros in a Spring Training game in 5 days ..on Monday February 24.

The over under at Caesars, is 83 and 1/2. No joke.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:14 AM, Tim Mitchell said:

The over under at Caesars, is 83 and 1/2. No joke.

For which team?

I don't know what's more surprising, the Tigers being 2-0 or the fact that they have somebody in the organization that knows how to run a twitter account.  Must be one of those unpaid interns.  

• Haha 1

And that doesn't include their clutch victory versus Southeastern.  

Also, they would have won yesterday if they kept playing instead of settling for a tie.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know what's more surprising, the Tigers being 2-0 or the fact that they have somebody in the organization that knows how to run a twitter account.  Must be one of those unpaid interns.  

They may be closing down their MySpace page to devote everything to Twitter but you can never be sure.

49 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

And that doesn't include their clutch victory versus Southeastern.  

Also, they would have won yesterday if they kept playing instead of settling for a tie.  

seriously, the best take away from today was that the guys who hit for extra bases were guys who need to hit for more extra bases - Reyes, Hill, Greene, Jones.

Hill especially I think. He has been kind of dismissed and under the radar but after a horrible 1st month last season he trended up almost every succeeding month. He needs to be right back on that upward track out of the gate this year if he's going to have any shot.

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

seriously, the best take away from today was that the guys who hit for extra bases were guys who need to hit for more extra bases - Reyes, Hill, Greene, Jones.

Hill especially I think. He has been kind of dismissed and under the radar but after a horrible 1st month last season he trended up almost every succeeding month. He needs to be right back on that upward track out of the gate this year if he's going to have any shot.

I watched his home run on Tigers twitter and he is definitely not the skinny prospect I remember him being in the past.  I have not followed him that close so I have no idea when this happened but he definitely muscled up at some point.  

Part of the vision also entails strengthening the Tigers’ internal framework. As general manager Al Avila explained at Winter Meetings, the level of information available in the minors is no longer worlds behind the majors. The Tigers hope to establish a firm process, so all the pregame meetings, the pitching plans, the scouting reports, anything you can think of, resembles what happens in the majors.

The Tigers made a plethora of staff changes in the minors this offseason, and beginning this year, each affiliate will have an additional coaching position that functions more like an analyst — someone who can interpret and implement data and numbers.

“I can remember players we would send back to the minor leagues, they would say it’s like a vacation, because at the major-league level we put in so many hours preparing, and in the minor leagues we just show up and play,” Avila said. “Now the world has changed in the minor leagues. You have to put the information together. We’ve hired people to get that information in the right hands at each affiliate. Now it’s up to the coaching staff to go over that just like we do at the major-league level, so now they’re preparing to play the game.”

Graham is 38, a product of time and place. His interest in the analytical side of baseball started when he was coaching an independent team in Gary, Ind. The manager, Greg Tagert, would search baseball-reference to help acquire players. In a time when most people were still focused on batting average and homers, Tagert cared more about walk rates. 

Via the Athletic

Cody’s article certainly makes it seem like the Tigers aren’t behind anymore with technology + analytics.

I still believe the lynchpin of success will be determined on how we do when it’s time for the Tigers to spend.

I actually think the Tiger prospects will work out, for the most part. But will Al have the stones and permission to go grab the final 3 or 4 missing pieces in FA.

I don’t know. 

'Amped-up' Tigers prospect Tarik Skubal fans three, hits 98 facing MLB lineup for first time

Only in Spring Training can you see a stat line like that...3 K and 98 hbp.  Thank you Detroit News.

• Like 1