Tenacious D

2020 Spring Training

OT but I just saw on Twitter that MLive is doing away with their comment section and discussion forums, I wonder if that means we're gonna get an influx of new posters from there. 

If they're still anything like they were when I was there 10 years ago godspeed to us all.

17 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I love it.  I’m not sure why, but I’m enjoying the wrath that Manfred and the Astros are facing.  I don’t see it dying down for a long time.

The longer this one stays on the front burner the better. Markakis threw a little more fuel on the fire now as well.

4 hours ago, 1776 said:

The longer this one stays on the front burner the better. Markakis threw a little more fuel on the fire now as well.

I dunno, I'm kind of sick of it.

11 hours ago, Casimir said:

Let's not forget about the doctored up baseballs that Manfred won't fess up to.

I definitely want that fixed.  The game is way stupider now than it was when Manfred got there.

9 hours ago, 1776 said:

5 hours ago, Longgone said:

I dunno, I'm kind of sick of it.

I'm sick of it too but I think it needs to run its course to the full.  The Astros cheated other players and their fans.

Not a doubt in my mind that the anger and disgust from other teams' players will eventually spill over onto the field ..and some pitchers are going to pay the price for inadvertently hitting an Astro player with a pitch.  Would not surprise me to see Astro hitters take offense to inside pitches at some point in the season and perhaps start a brawl over it.

Teams should have plenty of incentive to beat the Astros.  The Tigers have 7 games against the Astros this year ..3 at home and 4 in Houston.  Would love to see the Tigers win both series.

Seidel reported in the Freep that Cabrera was bombing the ball out of the park to all fields today

The Astros should be forced to take on the rest of Cabrera’s contract as punishment. 

8 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

I'm sick of it too but I think it needs to run its course to the full.  The Astros cheated other players and their fans.

Not a doubt in my mind that the anger and disgust from other teams' players will eventually spill over onto the field ..and some pitchers are going to pay the price for inadvertently hitting an Astro player with a pitch.  Would not surprise me to see Astro hitters take offense to inside pitches at some point in the season and perhaps start a brawl over it.

Teams should have plenty of incentive to beat the Astros.  The Tigers have 7 games against the Astros this year ..3 at home and 4 in Houston.  Would love to see the Tigers win both series.

I think we will see a few Astro home games were the first pitch in the first inning might be used to get the umpires to warn both dugouts that there will be no more inside pitching for the day.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

I think we will see a few Astro home games were the first pitch in the first inning might be used to get the umpires to warn both dugouts that there will be no more inside pitching for the day.

I have thought about first pitch of the season and/or first pitch of a series ..for any team facing the Astros.

Since Manfred has already issued a warning to all teams (thus, to all pitchers) ..do you think it is possible that an umpire might not issue a warning and instead immediately eject the pitcher who hits an Astro hitter?

What might be the odds that the Astros first batter this season gets thrown at with the very first pitch?

How about the second pitch?

The Astros first regular season game is March 26 against the Los Angeles Angels in Houston.  

With so many players speaking out against the Astro cheaters ..I wonder if at some point this season that one of those outspoken players might be intentionally thrown at by an Astro pitcher?

Side Note:  In case anybody did not know ..the Tigers play the Astros in a Spring Training game in 5 days ..on Monday February 24.

With the All Star Game being at Dodger Stadium this year I wonder if any would be Astros All Stars opt to miss the game and festivities for "rest".   

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

What might be the odds that the Astros first batter this season gets thrown at with the very first pitch?

How about the second pitch?

The Astros first regular season game is March 26 against the Los Angeles Angels in Houston.  

With so many players speaking out against the Astro cheaters ..I wonder if at some point this season that one of those outspoken players might be intentionally thrown at by an Astro pitcher?

Side Note:  In case anybody did not know ..the Tigers play the Astros in a Spring Training game in 5 days ..on Monday February 24.

Too bad Houston doesn't play the Dodgers this season. But all this drama will make for an interesting summer. I'm sure ESPN will be leading off every episode of SportsCenter with the latest Astro news.

The really sad part of this whole mess is the Astros had a good enough team to win, fair and square. It's a shame for the Houston fans to have their Championship tarnished. 

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

With the All Star Game being at Dodger Stadium this year I wonder if any would be Astros All Stars opt to miss the game and festivities for "rest".   

Good thought .. and perhaps 100% insight into whether any Astro player will attend.  Not a doubt in my mind that any Astro hitter would be booed mercilessly.  Would probably be the longest booing session in the history of the world!

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Too bad Houston doesn't play the Dodgers this season. But all this drama will make for an interesting summer. I'm sure ESPN will be leading off every episode of SportsCenter with the latest Astro news.

The really sad part of this whole mess is the Astros had a good enough team to win, fair and square. It's a shame for the Houston fans to have their Championship tarnished. 

I agree that Astro was good enough to win without cheating.  One way to look at it now is that they ultimately cheated themselves!

It probably is not going to be pretty for any Astro hitter this year ..at least not for the first month or two of the regular season.  The Astro players will have to live with the consequences of not only their cheating ..but for some of them ..the consequences of their cavalier attitude.

I am of the opinion that some of the Astros players might think all they need to do is to get mad at all their critics and go out and win a World Series again ..and thus, show the entire world how 'great' they are. .. .. ..

.. .. ..Well, I highly doubt that some of those Astro players are going to make it through the entire season without breaking down either physically or mentally.  I think the burden that they have heaped upon themselves will weigh them down much more than they realize. 

Would not doubt if one or more beg to be traded between now and next year ..hoping for a new start.

8 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Would not doubt if one or more beg to be traded between now and next year ..hoping for a new start.

This is interesting.  How do you think other team’s players and fans would receive Altuve or Bergman on their teams?  Both are pariahs right now—would that change if they joined your team?

I think the vast majority of out-spoken players could change their tune if one of the Astro hitters were traded to their team.  I also think that that particular Astro hitter would go out of his way (privately and/or publicly)  to express sincere remorse to his new teammates.

6 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I think the vast majority of out-spoken players could change their tune if one of the Astro hitters were traded to their team.

I think I would agree. 

Verlander ripped into the Tiger minor leaguer that was arrested for domestic violence against his girlfriend.  Nothing wrong that.

But Verlander was awfully darn quiet when the Astros picked up Roberto Osuna who also had a case of domestic violence against him.  Why the sudden loss of religion?

On the other hand, this has kicked up quite a lot of angst around the league.  This might be a tough barrier for the Astros to overcome.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

I think I would agree. 

Verlander ripped into the Tiger minor leaguer that was arrested for domestic violence against his girlfriend.  Nothing wrong that.

But Verlander was awfully darn quiet when the Astros picked up Roberto Osuna who also had a case of domestic violence against him.  Why the sudden loss of religion?

On the other hand, this has kicked up quite a lot of angst around the league.  This might be a tough barrier for the Astros to overcome.

I think it was a former tiger minor leaguer, and Astros minor leaguer at the time, that he lit into. Danrys Vasquez right? 

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This is interesting.  How do you think other team’s players and fans would receive Altuve or Bergman on their teams?  Both are pariahs right now—would that change if they joined your team?

I would be elated if Bergman became a Tiger.  I'd welcome Altuve too, but not as much due to his age.    

57 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think it was a former tiger minor leaguer, and Astros minor leaguer at the time, that he lit into. Danrys Vasquez right? 

Yes.

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

That's who I was thinking it was.

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I would be elated if Bergman became a Tiger.  I'd welcome Altuve too, but not as much due to his age.    

Bregman, to me, comes across as a red *** that you would love on your team, but not like so much on the opposition.

Fortunately for Tiger fans, the Tigers stink so much its difficult to garner up that much animosity for an opponent.

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Bergman (Dave) is way older than Altuve.

Anything to report on Franklin Perez?    Is he alive?   Will he pitch this season?   If not, is he at least helping the staff keep things clean around there?   What's going on?     Very interested in this because I think the Astros covered up medical reports.  I have no proof of this, but since they are a bunch of cheating, lying scumbags - why not believe that?