Tenacious D

2020 Spring Training

Seeing pictures from today’s workout all over the inter web has me frickin’ excited.

Don’t ruin this for me.

• Like 1

Love it when a coach says this, “The ball is coming out of his hand.”

Is there a higher praise ?

• Like 1

It’s always good when the Tigers are tied for first place, even if it’s in February. 

Harry Carray used to overflow with hope every spring, under a cloud of Budweiser emanating from his head. I still miss that guy

Remember when the Tigers were 8-4 last year?

10 minutes ago, leflore said:

Remember when the Tigers were 8-4 last year?

They were fun to watch.  Gardenhire had them playing the game the right way.  

Nice story about Turnbull by McCosky. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/02/13/after-transformative-offseason-tigers-spencer-turnbull-aims-consistency-tranquility/4748664002/

This root of this transformation goes back to the middle of last season when Turnbull couldn’t seem to get out of his own way. Over his first 14 starts he posted a 2.78 ERA and was getting early buzz as a rookie of the year candidate.

His next 12 starts were miserable, an ERA over 7.0 and opponents hitting .308 and slugging .508 against him. He lasted five innings or less in seven of those starts. He was on the injured list twice with shoulder and back soreness. His temperament on the mound was, like his pitches, all over the map.

Both manager Ron Gardenhire and pitching coach Rick Anderson were at wits end trying to find a way to reign him back in. Nothing was working. Nothing was getting through. So Anderson called on Boyd.....

Even with the bleak season outlook, and the fact the windchill where I live is -34, this is always an exciting week for me

20 hours ago, tiger337 said:

They were fun to watch.  Gardenhire had them playing the game the right way.  

Lloyd didn't have enough time to screw up all the good things they worked on in the offseason.    

• Like 1

Daz Cameron no longer thinks launch angle is all it's cracked up to be......

Cameron, just 22, is still considered one of the organization's top prospects. But when he was sent down to Toledo last spring, he made the hasty and ill-advised decision to change his swing. He’d hit eight home runs in 2018. Perhaps he thought increasing power numbers might hasten his path to the big leagues.

The result: He did hit 13 home runs, but he also struck out 152 times in 528 plate appearances, hit .214 and slugged just .377.

“A lot of it was just me not being myself,” he said. “When you think about it, me being myself and not trying to be something I’m not. What I mean by that is, by changing my stance, changing my approach. I just need to stick to what I do best.”

He tried to increase the launch angle on his swing, to get more balls into the air.

“Little bit of that,” he said. “Instead of squaring the ball up, I tried to lift it over everyone. When you get outside of what you do, you start losing your strength.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/02/14/dream-still-alive-tigers-daz-cameron-beau-burrows-even-after-prospect-hype-dims/4761310002/

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Don't worry. He will talk to Lloyd and Daz will be back in his own ways.

I'm going to enjoy the spring optimism.  We got 162 games to be down about our talent.  At least this spring, we can dream that THIS is the year that guy gets it together.  

14 minutes ago, leflore said:

Daz is still young and looked more promising in the Fall league in '18. Still reason for optimism. 

I don't think there will every be a right answer when it comes to hitters changing their approach. For every guy you are sure is doing it wrong and would benefit from change, there are just as many guys who tried to change what they were doing and ended up worse for it, or maybe they tried something and gave up on it a week before they would have reached that breakthrough!

Now we have to hope that a change does work for Rogers.

Astros prospect Francis Marte suspended the entire season for PED (2nd offense).  

Maybe they’re happy to have the news cycle shift from sign-stealing to steroids for a bit.

5 minutes ago, leflore said:

Read what Trout and Justin Turner said today about Manfred. Ouch

I love it.  I’m not sure why, but I’m enjoying the wrath that Manfred and the Astros are facing.  I don’t see it dying down for a long time.

I like seeing Manfred facing wrath.  I am more upset about the shredding of the minor leagues and the expansion of the playoffs than sign stealing.  The sign stealing is something that would **** me off as a player, but does not really affect me much as a fan.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I like seeing Manfred facing wrath.  I am more upset about the shredding of the minor leagues and the expansion of the playoffs than sign stealing.  The sign stealing is something that would **** me off as a player, but does not really affect me much as a fan.  

Unless you are a Dodgers fan. They likely got screwed twice 

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Let's not forget about the doctored up baseballs that Manfred won't fess up to.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Let's not forget about the doctored up baseballs that Manfred won't fess up to.

Yes, the rabbit ball is another thing that is irritating me.