Sign in to follow this  
Casimir

02/12/2020 7:00 EST Detroit Pistons vs Orlando Magic

02/12/2020 7:00 EST from Orlando, Florida...

DET-2020.png  ORL-2020.png

Detroit Pistons (19-37) vs Orlando Magic (23-31)

I might have to break down and buy ESPN+ for a month or two.  Givony is by far my favorite person for the draft.  

See, the newly revamped Rockets would have to forfeit if this happened.

Hollinger: After NBA trade deadline dust settles, the 2020 free agency market picture becomes clearer

Detroit Pistons ($36.0M) — The Pistons will have max cap space now that they’ve traded Andre Drummond; this projection assumes they waive Khyri Thomas, but keep Christian Wood’s low cap hold (just $1,707,576) and then re-sign him with Early Bird Rights after their free-agent work is done. It also assumes Markieff Morris opts out of his $3,360,000 for 2020-21, but they’ll have max room either way.

With Reggie Jackson likely gone and former Toronto coach Dwane Casey in place, look for VanVleet’s name to come up early and often here. Alternatively, the Pistons could also use a 4, with Blake Griffin’s health remaining questionable, at best, and they could go hog wild on a bid for Gallinari or Bertans.

Two other names with Detroit connections who might fit would be Baynes (they need a physical 5 even if Wood stays) and Marcus Morris, especially if his twin brother opts in.

The bolded part is very dangerous IMO.  You spend all of your free agent money and you're locked into what you can offer Wood.  If he gets an offer larger than what the early Bird rights allow the Pistons to offer, they probably lose him.  The amount they would be allowed to offer in that scenario is just over $8M.  

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Hollinger: After NBA trade deadline dust settles, the 2020 free agency market picture becomes clearer

The bolded part is very dangerous IMO.  You spend all of your free agent money and you're locked into what you can offer Wood.  If he gets an offer larger than what the early Bird rights allow the Pistons to offer, they probably lose him.  The amount they would be allowed to offer in that scenario is just over $8M.  

The Wood decision is very tough.  The same issues keep coming up with him that have existed for 5 years and 5 teams.   Work ethic and engagement.   If he’s still having trouble with these things now as young player scrapping for his future in the league, what’s going to happen when he’s guaranteed $40M?  We only see the on the court product on game days. The team sees the whole picture and apparently there are still issues with his commitment.  

He’s going to have to work harder than ever to get better on defense but it will never happen if he’s not motivated.   I’m not sure how giving him a pile of guaranteed money will do that.  He hasn’t been wired that way in the past and it usually doesn’t change.   I think the decision in him will have a lot to do with how he acts behind the scenes in practice and with the team over the remaining games this season.  

Huge game for the tank. Another L tonight and they're in great shape heading into next week. Their schedule after tonight the rest of the way is BRUTAL.

Pistons schedule after the ASB

25 games- 14 away, 11 home.

18 of those 25 games are against teams fighting for a playoff spot.

In their 7 games against lottery teams, 6 are on the road. 

They have 1 game I would say they definitely win- And that's home vs Golden State.

5-20 seems optimistic. 

The Pistons only need to reach #3.  The odds for 1-3 are all the same.  52.1% to pick in the top 4.  14% to pick #1.

21 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

They have 1 game I would say they definitely win- And that's home vs Golden State.

5-20 seems optimistic. 

Pistons have been extra bad on the road (8-18), so this could shape up to be the worst record for Detroit Basketball in the last decade.

15 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Pistons have been extra bad on the road (8-18), so this could shape up to be the worst record for Detroit Basketball in the last decade.

And be the best season of Pistons basketball since 2007/2008.

8 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

And be the best season of Pistons basketball since 2007/2008.

If this team has a top 3 pick, a lot of cap space, a young roster and a front office that outright said they are rebuilding....might people finally see a path forward?

Just 3-4 months ago everyone said there was absolutely no path forward for this team to be good again. I'd say this team could be on the road to having a young core.

The key this off-season is obviously what they do with cap space and who they draft, but the opportunity is there for this franchise to turn itself around.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

5-20 seems optimistic. 

Golden State could very well have Curry back by that time so not as easy as it looks. I gotta think that they'll win more than 5 when Rose gets healthy. It's really hard to go 5-20 or worse unless everything goes wrong (right).

Quite frankly, I'm amazed that they've lost so many games during this incredibly easy stretch with one of the few wins being against Denver. They've been ravaged by injuries and then the Drummond trade but still...

Nothing that happens this year will tell us anything.  Their hand was forced by injuries.  If Blake is back healthy next year and they are making yet another useless push for the 8th seed, well none of this will matter much.

• Like 1

Any insight into Sirvydis' potential ETA?  GR next year, then Detroit - or farther away? 

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Nothing that happens this year will tell us anything.  Their hand was forced by injuries.  If Blake is back healthy next year and they are making yet another useless push for the 8th seed, well none of this will matter much.

The mere mention of Augustin as a possible FA target is a little disconcerting.  Nothing against Augustin, but he's 32.  At this stage, hopefully their primary targets will be with more of a long-term view.

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

They're going to attempt to compete next season as long as Blake and Rose are healthy (big if of course). They aren't going full rebuild as long as Blake and Rose are on the books. I expect their moves to reflect making a push for the playoffs next season.

Whether or not that entails more short term Rose and Morris type deals or a swing for the fences like Fred VanVleet or DeRozan is up for debate but I can't seem them letting all the cap space collecting dust and building a team of youth and dirt cheap vets around Blake and Rose. They got rid of Drummond but the franchise is still in no mans' land in the short term unless they miraculously unload the Blake contract.

9 minutes ago, Los Gatos said:

Any insight into Sirvydis' potential ETA?  GR next year, then Detroit - or farther away? 

His stats in Eurocup don't look very good.  Especially when you consider Eurocup is a pretty bad league.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/deividas-sirvydis-1.html

Piston Powered did a profile on him recently.

https://pistonpowered.com/2020/01/03/detroit-pistons-prospect-deividas-sirvydis-finding-grove-eurocup/

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The Wood decision is very tough.  The same issues keep coming up with him that have existed for 5 years and 5 teams.   Work ethic and engagement.   If he’s still having trouble with these things now as young player scrapping for his future in the league, what’s going to happen when he’s guaranteed $40M?  We only see the on the court product on game days. The team sees the whole picture and apparently there are still issues with his commitment.  

He’s going to have to work harder than ever to get better on defense but it will never happen if he’s not motivated.   I’m not sure how giving him a pile of guaranteed money will do that.  He hasn’t been wired that way in the past and it usually doesn’t change.   I think the decision in him will have a lot to do with how he acts behind the scenes in practice and with the team over the remaining games this season.  

I agree with this.

Is it foolish to consider a sign and trade with him?

Is the best course of action for the franchise to use the salary cap space to take on bad contracts in exchange for future assets?

5 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

His stats in Eurocup don't look very good.  Especially when you consider Eurocup is a pretty bad league.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/deividas-sirvydis-1.html

Piston Powered did a profile on him recently.

https://pistonpowered.com/2020/01/03/detroit-pistons-prospect-deividas-sirvydis-finding-grove-eurocup/

I got caught up watching some of his highlight clips, which of course is misleading because they're highlights.  Seems to have good skills, though, and at 6'8" it's nice to imagine.  Boom or bust, probably.