HeyAbbott

First Blush 2020 Win Prediction

Offers being equal, I believe Kris Bryant will opt for go to another team, most likely a contender like the Dodgers or Yankees or Red Sox or even Giants, then come back to the Cubs. And I would think it would take substantially more than beating the second-best offer by one dollar to keep him there. After all, the Cubs are soliciting trade offers for him right now!

20 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Several different ways. Have arbitration start when a player reaches a certain age instead of service time.  

So one proposal would be that every player reaches free agency at age of 28, regardless of service time in the Majors (unless his current contract goes beyond his age 28 season, in which case he becomes a free agent after his contract ends).

Another one would be as soon as a player is on the 40 man roster, the team has 7 years of control until he is a free agent.  However many years the teams want to keep that player in the minors is up to the team's judgement.  It could be 3 years in the minors and 4 in the Majors or 1 year in the minors and 6 in the Majors.  It doesn't matter.  After 7 years, the player is a free agent, unless he is under contract.  

26 minutes ago, leflore said:

That "partial season" for Bryant was 151 games played

Correct. 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

So one proposal would be that every player reaches free agency at age of 28, regardless of service time in the Majors (unless his current contract goes beyond his age 28 season, in which case he becomes a free agent after his contract ends).

Another one would be as soon as a player is on the 40 man roster, the team has 7 years of control until he is a free agent.  However many years the teams want to keep that player in the minors is up to the team's judgement.  It could be 3 years in the minors and 4 in the Majors or 1 year in the minors and 6 in the Majors.  It doesn't matter.  After 7 years, the player is a free agent, unless he is under contract.  

In my opinion ..basing FA eligibility based upon "age" should not and cannot be allowed. 

For example ..two equally talented and productive players  ..first one comes up and succeeds at 20 years old while second player comes up and succeeds at 24 years old.  

Players drafted out of high school might be disadvantaged vs players drafted out of college.

Moreover, players like Ichiro Suzuki could have become a FA after just his second year in MLB.

I would rather see a player become eligible for FA within a specified # of  years after signing their first MLB contract.  If the specific # is 7 years ..then players signed at age 17 could become FA at 24 years old ..whereas players signed at age 21 could become FA at 28 yeas old.

That potentially would create issues with players signed out of high school vs players who choose the college route .. but could make # of years in college a consideration.  Benefit to that is it might cause some youngsters to actually consider college who might not otherwise do so. 

But I also think college development should be as significant toward MLB drafts as it is to NFL or NBA drafts.  This is one reason why I support MLB's proposed cut backs to the number of minor league teams.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

This sounds better than the current system.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Offers being equal, I believe Kris Bryant will opt for go to another team, most likely a contender like the Dodgers or Yankees or Red Sox or even Giants, then come back to the Cubs. And I would think it would take substantially more than beating the second-best offer by one dollar to keep him there. After all, the Cubs are soliciting trade offers for him right now!

Yup.  Its difficult to see Bryant and the Cubs agreeing to an extention.

47 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think I like it as well.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I like it too. Someone call Manfred

I have advocated before for an age-based or professional service time (not major league service time) based free agency system. It’s not too dissimilar to the ones mooted above. 

I think you should have different ages or progressional time depending on if the guy was a high school draft pick, college draft pick, or international free agent. It wouldn’t be too hard to plot out the all of the guys that earned free agency via service time and see what their age or pro time was when they got there. But guys like trout or Soto or castellanos that break into the majors before they can buy a beer in the US would end up delaying free agency. That can be addressed by the arb salary system, much like it is now with fourth year arb guys being paid free agent dollars in that final year. Soto could in theory get fifth or sixth year arb salary, which would be really big. 

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

i know.  its why boras had max scherzer stay here with detroit after they we so good to him.

the cubs are shopping bryant because he is a boras client and will go where there is the most money and the cubs dont want to pay bryant $30 million per year.