HeyAbbott

First Blush 2020 Win Prediction

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I don't know.  Wasn't Strasburg considered the second coming?  He's been a very good pitcher, but I don't know if it has matched the expectations.

There are many examples of high draft picks that busted.  The Astros drafted Mark Appel and Brady Aiken, neither reached the Majors.  Imagine how good of a team they would have gotten if they didn't completely miss on two #1 picks.   

*Edit. The Astros didn't actually sign Aiken.  

12 hours ago, sabretooth said:

DC and Steamer have them looking like the mid-60's as well.  Both of them have Candy bouncing back to be decent, Goodrum and Reyes holding their own, and Stewart, Jones and Demeritte all being about 0.5 WAR which would be alright...not to mention Cabrera being a serviceable hitter, and of course Cron and Schoop getting the job done.  Add a respectable bench and you've got 11+ WAR from the positional side.

Get this: 11 WAR from pitching with the 24th ranked rotation of 9.6 WAR, right behind the Angels and White Sox...and that's with only 18 IP from Skubal and zero contribution from Mize/Manning.  

Add it up and it's 70 wins for the Tigers.  If this happens with this group without any contributions Mize, Manning or Skubal, and before Greene and Tork (or whoever) even sniffs AA ball, and I will officially start to get tingly feelings in my baseballs.

Why even bother playing? The stats already prove they're a AAAA team,  at best. May as well just phone it in and get a top 5 draft pick. After all, rebuilding for the next 20 years is much better than playing .500 ball in the same time frame.

Sometimes teams exceed expectations. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Todd Van Poppell.  

delmon young

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

David Clyde

That was actually my first thought when I opened the thread this am. He came up the first year I started watching mlb. His story was huge at the time. So were my platform shoes

All you suckas that made your predictions before knowing that Maybin signed, now what?

Brien Taylor #1 pick in 1991 .. NY Yankees.

Interesting byline .. Danny Goodwin is the only MLB player ever who was a #1 overall pick 2 different years.

63 wins, winning the last 3 to avoid 100 losses and messing with all the draft hopes.

Of courses he wasnt touted as the next big thing and was only drafted at 1 so they could go over slot later but Mickey Moniak has been a recent bust to go number 1 overall. 

I can't see the Tigers finishing behind the Orioles this year.  They're probably bottom-five, but five might be more likely than 1.  I'll predict 63 wins.

The Orioles might be worse than the 2019 Tigers. The other bottom feeders improved some as well. I think Det finishes 27-30. Or in terms of fubar for Kumar, 1-4

I know NYY and LAD are huge favorites but I have a gut feeling this is Oakland's year. The lower left quadrant of my gut is telling me it'll be an As vs Reds WS. I should note that I had a bad burrito for dinner, so the lower left quadrant's vision is a bit cloudy. Or maybe it's gas. Still, I'm sticking with it

8 minutes ago, leflore said:

I know NYY and LAD are huge favorites but I have a gut feeling this is Oakland's year. The lower left quadrant of my gut is telling me it'll be an As vs Reds WS. I should note that I had a bad burrito for dinner, so the lower left quadrant's vision is a bit cloudy. Or maybe it's gas. Still, I'm sticking with it

nick castellanos winning a world series would send tenacious d over the edge.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

nick castellanos winning a world series would send tenacious d over the edge.

I'm already teetering. wouldn't take much.

actually, I've made my peace with Nick.  I think a lot of his comments were born out of frustration and immaturity.  I think he is a good guy and don't wish him any ill-will.  I hope he thinks the same of me.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

What is 9 x 7 ? 

Ooh, I'm sorry, we were looking for 21 x 3. Ken, please select.

Now that this has been established:

51-111. Starting pitching takes a step back, relief pitching provides little relief, defense takes a continuing holiday, Schoop and Cron go 1-2 leading the league in flyouts to deep left in home games, Reyes turns into a pumpkin at the plate.

Bold pleasant surprise predictions: Jeimer Candelario exceeds .250/.350/.400 with double-digit homers, and Tyler Alexander becomes a solid middle of the rotation piece.