It wouldn’t be a real professional football league if Connor Cook wasn’t underperforming. 

• Haha 1

I watched quite a bit this weekend and I was more impressed with their innovations than the quality of football.    I loved the transparency with communications especially between the replay official and the ref but also on field between players and coach.  I also liked the kickoff and punt rules.   I wasn’t a fan of the conversion rules or the change in clock.   

It was the first week and 2 of the 8 teams were playing without their starting QB so hopefully the play improves on the field as the weeks go on.   

When the original XFL kicked off I recall being at a work lunch with a bunch of bigwig lawyers.  I was new to this industry and was slightly intimidated.  I was in my early 20's...they started talking about what a failure the XFL was going to be...and I told them I thought it was going to be a huge success.  Crickets...for good reason I guess....it did turn out to be a huge failure.  

I think this version is going to be an even bigger failure than first time.    It takes a special kind of stubborn to fail massively and to try the exact same thing years later only to fail even bigger.    Good old Vince McMahon.   

I enjoyed watching the first weekend.  I also grabbed season tickets to the LA team since they were super cheap, so I'm stoked to go see their first home game this weekend.   Should be interesting... 

Maybe I shouldn’t sell short on the XFL. This reality TV element is brilliant.   Lose a single game and GTFO!   On the road with a backup QB going against maybe the best player in the league.   Doesn’t matter.  No excuses. GTFO.  

I hope Kevin Gilbride and Jim Zorn are renting 

Pepper deserved it.  That was the most points ever given up in the history of the LA Wildcats.  

23 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

When the original XFL kicked off I recall being at a work lunch with a bunch of bigwig lawyers.  I was new to this industry and was slightly intimidated.  I was in my early 20's...they started talking about what a failure the XFL was going to be...and I told them I thought it was going to be a huge success.  Crickets...for good reason I guess....it did turn out to be a huge failure.  

I can picture that.

• Haha 1

I watched quite a bit of it over the weekend and my general thought was: "It's football..." and that's a good thing.  There's none of the "EXTREME football league" none of "We're going to be even better than the NFL!" aspect to it.  Just good football with a few key changes.  Just like every other pro-football league it's going to have to see if it makes sense financially, but I was just as entertained by watching any of the XFL games as I would have been watching any two NFL games I had no rooting interest in.

Commenting specifically on some of the rule changes, I'm virtually in lock step with Hongbit: Liked transparency in communication, liked kick off and punt rules.  Not a fan of the clock stoppage.  The conversion rules seem gimmicky, but might provide some interesting finishes.

On thing I did NOT like was every time you listened in on replay review or coach/player communication the announcers had to comment: "It's it so cool that we can do this?" "It's it interesting that we can just talk to the coach during the game?" "It's it great that we can listen in on that conversation?"  That part was almost as annoying as finding out that Stafford used to go to school with Kershaw.

I'll watch an XFL game if my cable goes kablooey and the only other channel coming in is carrying the Rachel Maddow Show. 

I didn’t watch any of the games yesterday and probably won’t watch any today.  Will be interested to see how much the ratings drop will be from week 1.  

Considering Andrew Luck's Dad is the President of the league maybe he can get him to come out of retirement.  

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I didn’t watch any of the games yesterday and probably won’t watch any today.  Will be interested to see how much the ratings drop will be from week 1.  

Connor Cook still wasn't good enough to start in the XFL.