Deleterious

Drummond Traded to Cleveland

I haven't followed the NBA closely for a while now, but is Drummond really as good of a rebounder as his numbers indicate or is it a function of the current NBA and big men like him becoming a thing of the past? If he played 15 years ago against the likes of Ben Wallace, would he really be the rebounder he is today?

3 minutes ago, Hart said:

A bit easier?  I would think cap space would not even be an issue for Wood now if we wanted to pay him.

We should have the room to pay him,  yes.  But he is unrestricted so if he doesn't want to be here we have no way of stopping it.  

As far as the money goes, it will require them to thread the needle a bit.  Ideally you would love to use his early bird rights to sign him.  That way you can use all of your cap space on other players, then the exception on Wood.  The risk with that is you spend your cap space then someone offers him more than the exception is worth and you can't keep him.

A bit easier was probably a too harsh.   But there are still hurdles with Wood.

Today is the best day in the history of the pistons franchise since the day before Drummond was drafted. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I haven't followed the NBA closely for a while now, but is Drummond really as good of a rebounder as his numbers indicate or is it a function of the current NBA and big men like him becoming a thing of the past? If he played 15 years ago against the likes of Ben Wallace, would he really be the rebounder he is today?

I think he would be fine back then.  You might even be able to make an argument he is handicapped a bit by playing in this era.

The three point shot creates a lot of long rebounds.  A big man doesn't even have a shot at those and guys in the 80's didn't have to deal with that.  

I also wonder how many rebounds a year a big loses due to guarding other bigs on the perimeter.  If the other C is a 3PT shooter then Andre is dragged outside to guard him and definitely misses out on some rebounding opportunities.  

I'm not exactly sure what he is referring to, I mean he's been the center of rumors for months so he had to know this was a possibility. 

Did the Pistons promise him that they would run any trades by him before pulling the trigger or something?

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I'm not exactly sure what he is referring to, I mean he's been the center of rumors for months so he had to know this was a possibility. 

Did the Pistons promise him that they would run any trades by him before pulling the trigger or something?

Just Andre being Andre.  

Well, if the Pistons included throwing the terrible skid mark black & silver jersey leftover inventory from last year into the deal, its an even better trade.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Ha! Brandon Knight.

I can't recall why, but I was looking at Knight's basketball reference page the other day.  Maybe he was one of the random heads that popped up in the top left corner?

48 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Feel bad for Andre.  Good guy that would’ve been a Hall of Famer had he been born 15 years earlier.    Nobody values him in the today’s NBA and he’s going to be forced to play for $27M next year.   

Yup.  My heart weeps kittens and rainbows for him.

Their cap situation for this summer.

Total is including all cap holds.  Potential is without any cap holds.  Pick and choose who they keep to come up with your own numbers.

I used the salary from a #5 pick for their draft pick.

XdIP9e1.png

you need to add Snell back in

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Their cap situation for this summer.

Total is including all cap holds.  Potential is without any cap holds.  Pick and choose who they keep to come up with your own numbers.

I used the salary from a #5 pick for their draft pick.

XdIP9e1.png

47 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

And he has been paid handsomely. Sure, he likely feels a little jilted. He'll get over it. Detroit won squat with him. Time to tank. Time to move on

6 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

you need to add Snell back in

Thanks.  Wishful thinking I guess.

0W7bk7d.png

As long as we resign Wood this year at a salary within reason, I am happy.  We need to build thru the draft as much as possible.  It would help a lot to somehow get in the top 3 either this year or next year.  But I think we are off to a good start with Kennard, Svi, Sekou, and Wood.  Obviously, we will need a game changing superstar at some point and who knows where that will come from.  Could be Sekou.  Could be a draft pick.  Or could be a free agent.  But at this point, it is all about just not missing on those draft picks and continuing to develop the young talent already here.  

58 minutes ago, Hart said:

But I think we are off to a good start with Kennard, Svi, Sekou, and Wood.  Obviously, we will need a game changing superstar at some point and who knows where that will come from.  Could be Sekou.  Could be a draft pick.  Or could be a free agent.  But at this point, it is all about just not missing on those draft picks and continuing to develop the young talent already here.  

I’m not saying that you are wrong but my opinion is the only player out of this group that is possibly legitimate piece for the future is Sekou.  3 years from now I don’t see any of the rest being quality NBA starters on an over .500 playoff team.   Maybe Kennard if he can stay healthy.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not saying that you are wrong but my opinion is the only player out of this group that is possibly legitimate piece for the future is Sekou.  3 years from now I don’t see any of the rest being quality NBA starters on an over .500 playoff team.   Maybe Kennard if he can stay healthy.  

I could see Wood as a quality starter easily, and Svi as a quality piece, on winning teams.

I see both Svi and Wood as a situational role players. 7th and 8th men off the bench types.  

14 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

What is so lacking in Wood's game?

Nothing.   He’s had a meteoric rise in just a few months.   7th man on a playoff team is a huge jump from unemployed after being cut from his 4th different team like he was last summer.    Im not sold yet that he’s got the consistency a be quality starter but he's going to get a chance to show what kind of player he can be the rest of the way as he figures to be much more involved.   

Wood is good enough offensively to be a quality starter.  It shouldn't be that hard for him to improve defensively with his physical ability.  It would be disappointing if he couldn't get there.

Svi is harder to project.  Maybe Svi is more likely a bench player on a contender but I don't think it is out of the question for him to develop into more than that. 

I think Kennard is a solid starter already IF healthy.