Harbaugh better hope they don't make a strong coaching hire. That said, I am surprised to see Dantonio potentially getting in trouble for shady business.

31 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Harbaugh better hope they don't make a strong coaching hire. That said, I am surprised to see Dantonio potentially getting in trouble for shady business.

Was that sarcasm?  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Was that sarcasm?  

Yes on the surprised part, no on the Harbaugh part. The timing of this ties right into the Blackwell allegations so this seems like a pretty cut and dry 1+1 = 2 equation. Dantonio got his bonus last month and then quit after, and only after, he got his payout.

28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes on the surprised part, no on the Harbaugh part. The timing of this ties right into the Blackwell allegations so this seems like a pretty cut and dry 1+1 = 2 equation. Dantonio got his bonus last month and then quit after, and only after, he got his payout.

Dantonio is also staying in the athletic department for a cool $1 million annually.  He played his situation very well.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Retired is a nice way of phrasing it. 

But "health reasons" is so 2010 and 2018.

also - from a purely administrative standpoint,  don't forget MSU has a new university present as of the beginning of last fall term. Given that it takes a few months to get your feet on the ground in a job like that there could easily be other internal issues coming down the pipe that Dantonio doesn't like or things about Dantonio that the new prez doesn't like that have a part in this. In the 'old days' at MSU that athletic department & head coach sort of had a direct pipeline to the trustees. Stanley may want to cut that off ( and if it were me, I sure would) and make sure it never re-emerges and if that's the case there may be an element of housecleaning going on. Maybe things well become clearer when we see what the man says tonight....

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

He needs to sack up and decline that bonus.  

MSU found a nice way to terminate him and save face.  The $4.3M may be called bonus but its essentially his severance.  Honestly, MSU probably got a bargain on that.   No need for him to return it. 

55 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

also - from a purely administrative standpoint,  don't forget MSU has a new university present as of the beginning of last fall term. Given that it takes a few months to get your feet on the ground in a job like that there could easily be other internal issues coming down the pipe that Dantonio doesn't like or things about Dantonio that the new prez doesn't like that have a part in this. In the 'old days' at MSU that athletic department & head coach sort of had a direct pipeline to the trustees. Stanley may want to cut that off ( and if it were me, I sure would) and make sure it never re-emerges and if that's the case there may be an element of housecleaning going on. Maybe things well become clearer when we see what the man says tonight....

he took a $1 million per year job in the athletic department.  how is that cutting ties or housecleaning?

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

he took a $1 million per year job in the athletic department.  how is that cutting ties or housecleaning?

Let’s wait and see if that really happens once the news cycle dies down.   How much dirt Blackwell has on him will play a role.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see him put out to pasture only to be seen shaking hands and taking pictures on game day instead of the special assistant role helping to transition players or whatever bs he mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Let’s wait and see if that really happens once the news cycle dies down.   How much dirt Blackwell has on him will play a role.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see him put out to pasture only to be seen shaking hands and taking pictures on game day instead of the special assistant role helping to transition players or whatever bs he mentioned.

i think you underestimate the toady-ism at michigan state.

how long was george perles at the university after he was let go?  why did they bring in fat john engler during their "crisis"?  because they are insular and the ultimate old boys/girls/sparty club.

we'll see.  dantonio will be on msu's payroll for a long time no matter what allegations come out because he did the only thing of importance at michigan state: he beat michigan at football.

In all seriousness,  Brent Venables at Clemson should be their first choice.  Not sure that’s even possible though.  Fickell at Cincy isn’t a bad fallback.  Narduzzi is a big meh although his name will pop up

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They are all slime  There are no clean programs 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

That could certainly be significant, or still maybe not. Ever heard of the 'cul-de-sac' treatment? Or as Gordy Howe once called it more artifully - 'the mushroom treatment'.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i think you underestimate the toady-ism at michigan state.

how long was george perles at the university after he was let go?  why did they bring in fat john engler during their "crisis"?  because they are insular and the ultimate old boys/girls/sparty club.

we'll see.  dantonio will be on msu's payroll for a long time no matter what allegations come out because he did the only thing of importance at michigan state: he beat michigan at football.

well, they didn't really 'let Perles go", he got himself elected to the Trustees. Blame the alums for that.

So I've been out all evening. Did Dantonio say anything in his presser that made any sense?

edit: Just brought up the video - interesting off the top - he decided this last week. Not hearing anything explanative. The bit about this being the best time to leave is a little disingenuous - he has to know it's not the best time for MSU to find a new coach!

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So I've been out all evening. Did Dantonio say anything in his presser that made any sense?

edit: Just brought up the video - interesting off the top - he decided this last week.

I don't believe that for a second.   

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't believe that for a second.   

OK - definitely more accurate to have reported "He said he decided last week"  :wink: