lordstanley

February 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

On 2/28/2020 at 3:48 PM, Buddha said:

the sad thing is, we need a march games thread soon.

Define games...

doesn't seem the Feb game thread is going to end well. Wings play about 35 minutes of decent hockey and get themselves 2 goals up, then the other Red Wing team shows up and they give up 3 unanswered on some pretty terrible play. 12 minutes left to straighten up.

and damn if they don't tie it up 20 sec into a PP.

One huge problem the Wings have is that they are an easy team to forecheck because they don't hustle getting back. If you want more time to make a play, get to the damn puck faster so the opposition isn't already there checking you and making good outlets impossible.

how does blashill keep his job after this year?

i get it, the wings dont have a lot of talent, but theyre about to be one of the worst teams in nhl history.  almost every player they have has regressed and theyre not even trying hard anymore.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

how does blashill keep his job after this year?

i get it, the wings dont have a lot of talent, but theyre about to be one of the worst teams in nhl history.  almost every player they have has regressed and theyre not even trying hard anymore.

Hard to know if they don't try hard enough or just are not good enough to compete against better teams for 60 min.

The Wings had 74 points last season and 73 points the year before and there was no reason to think they should have been even worse this season. They will end up in the low 40s. Jensen, Nyquist and Kronwall cost 30 points in the standings? Time for Blashill to go.

21 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings had 74 points last season and 73 points the year before and there was no reason to think they should have been even worse this season. They will end up in the low 40s. Jensen, Nyquist and Kronwall cost 30 points in the standings? Time for Blashill to go.

Based on the end of last season I didn't expect them to be this bad. But maybe we should have. As bad as the Wings were at the blue line you subtract DeKyser, Kronwall and Jensen, arguably the 3 best of the bad lot, and here we are. I was certainly too optimistic about Hronek, Cholowski and other call-ups showing enough improvement to pick up some of the slack. I also tend to believe that C Ilitch - based on the approach the Tigers have been following, pretty much gave Yzerman a green light to tank for a top pick this season - otherwise the lack of any even semi-serious move to shore up the D makes little sense.

I still hold out some hope that the forward talent on this team would and will look a lot better if/when the defense crew gets close to competent.

Howard also fell completely off a cliff, which isn't that surprising given his age, but his regression alone probably cost them 5-10 points based on my wild @$$ guess.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Howard also fell completely off a cliff, which isn't that surprising given his age, but his regression alone probably cost them 5-10 points based on my wild @$$ guess.

good point. As well as Bernier is playing now it's easy to forget how many bad games Howard never gave them even the slim chance they normally have.