lordstanley

February 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

The Wings' magic number to reach 40 points on the season remains stuck at 6. Lose 4-1 at home to Jersey.

Last season the Wings finished 2 points ahead of the Devils. This year the Wings are 24 points behind the Devils.

42 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings' magic number to reach 40 points on the season remains stuck at 6. Lose 4-1 at home to Jersey.

Last season the Wings finished 2 points ahead of the Devils. This year the Wings are 24 points behind the Devils.

was at LCA for the first two periods. They are just so helpless defensively.  You just stop counting the turnovers and outlet passes to opposition sticks. And it's especially hospitable the way Nemeth politely skates along side and one step behind any offensive player going toward the Detroit net so they can get off their shots unencumbered.

They did actually have a few stretches where they exerted pretty decent offensive pressure but couldn't generate any finishes. 

They've also significantly cranked up the decibel level recently in the arena. It was ridiculous really - like they thought enough wattage through the the PA would somehow re-animate the dead carcass of the hockey team.

It is staggering that all 4 pro sports teams could have top 3 draft picks. We are half way there.

54 minutes ago, Buddha said:

were not going to win a other game, are we?

there are no games left against Montreal are there?

2 hours ago, kdog said:

It is staggering that all 4 pro sports teams could have top 3 draft picks. We are half way there.

I am more excited about the thought of drafting Spencer Torkelson than Alex Lafreniere. And that is if the Wings are lucky enough to beat the odds and win the #1 overall pick.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

AA was a +2 in his debut with the Oilers last night.

Ken Holland is a genius.

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I am more excited about the thought of drafting Spencer Torkelson than Alex Lafreniere. And that is if the Wings are lucky enough to beat the odds and win the #1 overall pick.

why?  lafreniere is more likely to make a significant impact quicker.

19 hours ago, Buddha said:

why?  lafreniere is more likely to make a significant impact quicker.

I think I'm just grouchy in general about all things Red Wings and NHL (except for the Zamboni driver beating the Leafs).

Anyways, whether Lafreniere or someone else, the Wings need a hit. None of their six 1st round draft picks from the past 5 years have yet made an impact at the NHL level (Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, Seider).  I cut Seider slack - for now.

I think Zadina had been a pretty solid NHL-er this season for the most part.  15 points in 28 games playing about ~15 minutes a night at age 20 on a team devoid of talent seems fine to me.  Tough to make an impact with this roster.

AA and Green are both hurt for Edmonton already, very surprising!

Yeah, I have no real complaints about Zadina, if he plays a full season in Detroit next year injury-free he should put up some decent numbers.

Apparently Svech is headed to the KHL Not a huge surprise, I had pretty much written him off.

41 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Apparently Svech is headed to the KHL Not a huge surprise, I had pretty much written him off.

I didn't see this so I googled, seems like his agent has shot down this rumor already.  I wouldn't be shocked if it was some sort of posturing as far as getting a call up this season or next, but who knows with stuff coming out of Russia.  I too have written him off as a NHL player so either way...

A topic that will be debated by masochists for years: what was worst, the final season of Dexter, the 2019 Tigers season or the 2019-20 Red Wing season.

Wings losing 6-1 at home tonight to a non-playoff team, Minnesota. With still a full period to go.

The Wings have the hardest strength of schedule the rest of way.  Hardly relevant, as every opponent is brutal when you have 34 points.

8 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Can I throw the entire last season of Game of Thrones into consideration?

Of the choices offered, last season of GoT was the best, by far.

The one-eyed man being the king of the valley of the blind and all that.

On 2/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am happy with 2 seconds for AA.

Guessing Green is an insurance policy like when the Wings acquired Fredrik Olausson in 2002.

I'll give my Oilers fan perspective on this. The Oilers have been ravaged by injury and are playing three rookies on D so they needed an insurance policy. In the early returns, he's been ok but man is he slow. Their best defenseman returns in about a week so hopefully that pushes Green out of the lineup.

I think the AA trade is a win win. I think a change of scenery will benefit AA and the Red Wings and two 2nds is a nice haul for a player who likely wasn't in the Red Wings plans long term. The Oilers desperately needed a winger for McDavid with their other top 6 line being perhaps the best in the league in 2020.

He's been a little quiet the first 2 games alongside McDavid, hasn't displayed his speed much, but he has showed some surprisingly good vision and scored a goal so pretty decent so far.

As far as Holland is concerned, I was skeptical of his hire based on his final years in Detroit but he's been a god send this far. Got rid of the worst contract in the league for a bad contract but not nearly as bad, put together a competent bottom 6, signed Mike Smith who has been good and found skilled wingers without giving up any core pieces. So far so good.

6 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

define need.........

the opposite of want.