lordstanley

February 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Have to hope a good team thinks Anthanasiou could be a useful enough fit to give something up to get him, he is not a well rounded enough player to be much value to a bad team!

I like how They say Bernier was rested for load management. Resting for the stretch run?

Larkin scores twice but Wings lost to Calgary just now 3-2. Could they really finish with fewer than 40 points? Need to get 6 or more in final 18 games to avoid that.

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I like how They say Bernier was rested for load management. Resting for the stretch run?

Larkin scores twice but Wings lost to Calgary just now 3-2. Could they really finish with fewer than 40 points? Need to get 6 or more in final 18 games to avoid that.

This is pretty depressing. At least with the Tigers last season there were already potential impact players in the pipeline and even if this is another poor years we are likely to see a couple of them. At this point is there anyone beyond Seider in the Wings system that still has  "impact" player upside? 

39 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This is pretty depressing. At least with the Tigers last season there were already potential impact players in the pipeline and even if this is another poor years we are likely to see a couple of them. At this point is there anyone beyond Seider in the Wings system that still has  "impact" player upside? 

Veleno maybe?

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Veleno maybe?

He should make the NHL and at least be a regular for 3-5 years. More/better than that? Who knows.

Mike Green traded to Edmonton. For a 35 year old Kyle Brodziak who has not played this year (so presumably just so the cap would work?) and a 4th round pick this year. If the Oilers make the conference finals and Green plays 50% of the games in rounds 1 and 2, the 4th in '20 is converted into a 3rd in '21 instead.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

He should make the NHL and at least be a regular for 3-5 years. More/better than that? Who knows.

yeah - getting harder to see him as anything more than a 'regular'. Impact players don't usually lead their team in minus even if they are young for their league.

I've said it a few times...Holland's last few drafts weren't as good as people said. Yzerman needs a lot more lotto tickets.

The Brodziak thing is just for the cap. 

Brad Galli from Channel 7 says it is to Edmonton and we got two firsts in exchange. That's a good pickup for the Oilers, I was hoping we could snag a first in return. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

2 second round picks, not 1 firsts.

That’s still a nice haul for AA

good trade for both teams.  AA should do really well on edmonton.

It's a decent haul for AA, not especially good but fine. 

This is what happens when a team sucks, the players' values decline as well (cause or effect).  Would you have traded AA for 2 2nds this past summer? I wouldn't have.

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

This is what happens when a team sucks, the players' values decline as well (cause or effect).  Would you have traded AA for 2 2nds this past summer? I wouldn't have.

Probably not, but how much was the team sucking vs AA sucking? He was playing better last year at the end than he has this year, good team or bad. If the Wings had been better and AA had played just as he has so far I venture to guess his value would still be down from last season.

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I guess through that lens then maybe the return is a little bit less.   No doubt his value was higher last year.    In the current landscape, I think they did really well.   

I'm probably in the minority but I'm a bit surprised that AA got them two second rounders back.  He's slipped back into his old playing style and it doesn't seem like he is every going to change.  Kuffner looks like an AHL/NHL tweener at best to me so whatever to losing him.  I will gladly take those picks for what AA brings to a team.

I'm also shocked that anyone wanted Green for any price.

why should anyone be surprised that ken holland sent away draft picks for an old, slow veteran at the deadline?  its in his dna.

39 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I thought Helm might have been traded.

I thought there might be a chance, but I'm guessing not a huge market with another year left on his deal?  Maybe him and Glendening get dealt next year...