lordstanley

February 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

26 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

3 Boston goals within 4:29 in the 2nd period upends a 1-0 Wings lead.

Yesterday it was 4 goals in 4 minutes, so we're getting better!

Given the lottery uncertainty, I think Steve has to really consider taking on some toxic contracts to get more draft picks. The vets on roster(even the ones in their last year) will get us next to nothing.

Maybe those kinds of deals will happen at the draft.

The Wings are losing to Pittsburgh 5-1 in the 2nd. The Wings are not really an NHL team this season. 

Watching the Wings is like watching soccer. But not the good soccer. Rather, women’s soccer, with the Wings being Costa Rica or Egypt and the other team being the Americans.

Trades are being made already in advance of Monday's deadline. I'd say AA and Helm are the two most likely to get moved and the only two Wings on the block with any value.

For just the 4th time in 10 games this month, the Wings have scored more than 1 goal in a game. Two - Fabbri and AA. But the Habs lead 3-2.

"Rebuilds are tough. Nobody likes to lose. I don’t like to lose, our fans don’t like us to lose, our players don’t want to lose. But I think that what we’re looking at and measuring is progress, and I think Steve has settled in incredibly well," Ilitch said. "I think a big part of it was his passion and love for the Detroit Red Wings. He’s one of us."

The Red Wings' rebuild, which was set into motion by former GM Ken Holland, seems to have reached ground zero. Detroit is last in the NHL and on pace for 43 points, which would outdo the 2016-17 Avalanche (48 points) for the least in the salary cap era. The only way to go is up.

Yzerman added some potential building blocks in last year's draft, including defenseman Moritz Seider who's thrived this season in Grand Rapids. He'll have the chance to do the same this year, starting with possibly the No. 1 overall pick. The Red Wings are almost certain to pick in the top four. 

It's a slow process, but Ilitch approves of Yzerman's work thus far. 

"He hasn’t had an opportunity to make an incredible impact because it’s only been months, but I think his first draft was successful, he’s trying to make moves to make our team better and to really create an environment where our young players can continue to develop," Ilitch said. "His strategy is to continue to acquire NHL-caliber talent. We've built championship teams here in Detroit by focusing on drafting wisely and young talent, and that’s what Steve’s focused on. So from my viewpoint he’s doing an excellent job. 

"He’s very early in his role, but Steve is a professional. He’s proven he knows what to do in his role. He’s executing that plan, I think now it’s on all of us to exhibit patience because these things take time. My feeling is Detroiters want a winner. We all want to build a winner. I can tell you our entire organization, from Steve all the way down, are working exceptionally hard to deliver that, and I believe we’ll get there. It’s just going to take time."

https://971theticket.radio.com/articles/news/chris-ilitch-touts-progress-for-red-wings-under-yzerman

Wings sweep the 4-game season series, a 4-3 victory tonight with a 3-goal surge in the 3rd period.

Wings total victories this season: 15

Wings victories over the Habs this season: 4

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Wings sweep the 4-game season series, a 4-3 victory tonight with a 3-goal surge in the 3rd period.

Wings total victories this season: 15

Wings victories over the Habs this season: 4

what a riot. Bertuzzi was some kind of beast on the 4th goal. 

If there are any times when Yzerman might question Blashill, it's after games like this. Where is this team the rest of the time? Then again, it's hockey, no team can play its very best all the time or probably even most of the time.

46 minutes ago, kdog said:

Interesting.  I haven’t really seen the rebuild begin.    It will start in earnest this summer but there hasn’t been much progress made this year.   Stevie needs to at least move AA for draft capital and anything else he can even for 3rd and 4th round picks   

Not surprised that Chris Ilitch thinks there’s progress as he’s currently the worst owner in professional sports 

Yzerman needs to make some moves this summer to make the team better. Sure, don't tie your hands by locking up guys for 7 years. But right now you're wasting the years of Markin, AA, Larkin and Bertuzzi and their value is decreasing. If the Wings had 60 points now instead of 34, their 1st round pick might have moved down a few spots but chances are the points increase was because you'd have gotten better years out of Daley, Green, Howard, AA and you'd be able to trade them at the deadline for picks.

Fabbri's 2-1 goal at 1:50

AA's 3-2 goal at 5:20

Green's 3-3 at 6:30

AA's 4-3 game-winner at 7:45

52 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yzerman needs to make some moves this summer to make the team better. Sure, don't tie your hands by locking up guys for 7 years. But right now you're wasting the years of Markin, AA, Larkin and Bertuzzi and their value is decreasing. If the Wings had 60 points now instead of 34, their 1st round pick might have moved down a few spots but chances are the points increase was because you'd have gotten better years out of Daley, Green, Howard, AA and you'd be able to trade them at the deadline for picks.

They aren't going anywhere without more goaltending.

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Trades are being made already in advance of Monday's deadline. I'd say AA and Helm are the two most likely to get moved and the only two Wings on the block with any value.

bernier doesnt have any value?  he's playing really well.

36 minutes ago, Buddha said:

bernier doesnt have any value?  he's playing really well.

I think the Wings need Bernier for next year. The Wings have absolutely zilch in the goaltending department. Barely have a serviceable AHL goalie.

Red Wings lose 4-1 at New York Islanders, are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
Red Wings are the first team to be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention prior to the trade deadline since the 2003-04 Penguins