lordstanley

February 2020 Regular Season Game Thread

Watched the final minute, which Zadina seemed to be in charge of.  Rangers 1 Wings 0. Wow, sounds like a fun game to pay money for. Hope the weather was nice enough for an easy commute home for fans who made the effort.

I was bored and I watched most of this game.   NYR looked to be feeling the effects of back to backs more than the Wings and were a step slower.   Wings made plenty of mistakes but looked way better than the historically bad team their record shows.   They probably should’ve scored a few goals but The King turned back the clock and made a number of solid saves.   Wings had chances and Filp missed 2 wide open nets from point blank that would’ve tied it.   In the same breath, Bernier player really well and covered up at least 3 dumb defensive errors that very easily could’ve been Ranger goals.    I kind of sense this happens every night and is a good reason why they give up so many goals.  

6 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I kind of sense this happens every night and is a good reason why they give up so many goals.  

It's not hard to see why Scotty hated young Dmen so much. So many mistakes. On a couple of goals I saw, Hronek, supposedly the best young Dman of the group, was there to make a play, just didn't make it - guessed wrong or something, or is just still unaccustomed to anticipating the skill level he is playing against.

How long into the February game thread before the Wings score a goal? 

Trailing 1-0 to Philly in the 3rd.

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

How long into the February game thread before the Wings score a goal? 

Trailing 1-0 to Philly in the 3rd.

Philly was saved by the bell at the end of the 2nd. (hey - we need some kind of home team spin)

I give up (again). Why do we even send Dmen out there? Cholowski just waves at a bad blind pass on the PP and then can't catch the man on the breakaway. Hronek constantly is playing next to him man and his man just plays right through him like he isn't even there. Just completely weak on his skates and stick. Bowey with blind passes that go the other team. Nemeth has position between two guys on the breakaway and the pass just goes right through him anyway.  Just freaking unreal. And that's just 10 minutes worth. 

48 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

When does Zadina return?

the day before Bertuzzi gets hurt.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-02-at-1.31.21-PM.png

The Tiers

Each of my prospect pool rankings will be broken down into team-specific tiers in order to give you a better sense of the talent proximity from one player to the next (a gap which is sometimes minute and in other cases quite pronounced).

One of the things that makes the Red Wings prospect pool a little unique is the presence of four (arguably five) interesting goalie prospects, something no other team shares. Other than the presence of the goalie prospects, who can be tough to rank side-by-side skaters, the prospect tiers for the Red Wings were fairly simple decisions, moving from a star-level prospect to four potential contributors, two players on the cusp of joining those four and an extended group of long shots with some interesting characteristics.

via the Athletic

Lots of people liking Seider, FWIW.

Not holding out hope for the goalers, personally, but one certainly can come out of that group.

The Wings' prospect is decent but doesn't blow me away. Not sure it's any better than in 2014.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/113921/depth-professional-level-strength-detroit-red-wings-prospect-pool/

Defensemen

Detroit is currently experiencing what can only be described as an embarrassment of riches in the AHL. Xavier Ouellet, Ryan SproulAlexey MarchenkoNick Jensen, and Mattias Backman all find themselves vying for playing time with the Griffins.

Right Wing

Much of Detroit’s forward talent is at right wing. Tomas Jurco was promoted from the Griffins to the Red Wings in 2013-14 and has shown flashes of his offensive talent in Detroit. He is still developing, however, and while he has earned a spot in the lineup he has yet to truly show the kind of point producer he can become. He has two points in nine games in 2014-15.

The Grand Rapids Griffins have a trio of talented right wingers on their roster in Teemu PulkkinenMartin Frk, and Mitch Callahan. They also all have the long-term potential to eventually crack the NHL roster in Detroit, though some sooner than others.

Karch covered the Seider story this morning. I agree with his take that the bigger significance if Seider turns out well is that we have a GM that did the unexpected and it worked, as compared the typical Detroit GM that does the unexpected and it goes down in flames.....xD

A 3rd period lead! Bertuzzi breaks 2-2 tie with a goal, Wings lead Buffalo 3-2 with 6 minutes to go.

Man or man, lead blown with 45 seconds to go. I think that was Hronek who tried to skate it out of the zone up the middle.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

hronek is our best defenseman?  oy.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!!

The gap between Hronek and the next best is also quite large.