RatkoVarda

2020 Tiger Prospects

29 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

They were created for the show.  Mike Nesmeth and Peter Tork we’re musicians, Nesmeth wrote a few songs. Mickey Dolenz has described the Monkeys as initially being a TV show about an imaginary band that wanted to be the Beatles.

That said Pleasant Valley Sunday is a good song, not great, but good

Dolenz had been "Circus Boy' to Noah Beery's Clown in the late 50's on TV - so he was the 'experienced' actor.

Great nugget in the Wiki story:  says that Steve Still auditioned for Tork's spot (can you even imagine?) but they decided he wasn't telegenic enough. Apparently after being turned down it was  Stills that lined up Tork for the gig..

26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the monkees were awesome.  great songs.

Definitely.  As soon as someone tells you that Neil Diamond wrote "I'm a believer" you say oh yeah, I can hear that.

25 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Definitely.  As soon as someone tells you that Neil Diamond wrote "I'm a believer" you say oh yeah, I can hear that.

IIRC .. Neil Diamond also wrote the Monkees recording .."A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You".

I can clearly visualize Neil singing both songs.

The Monkees belong in the rock and roll HOF.  The show was hysterical, they pumped out hit after hit and when MTV brought the show back in the 80s they launched a huge comeback.  Really great, well produced pop songs.