RatkoVarda

2020 Tiger Prospects

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe the math shows Manning at 60.8 and Mize at 59.9, so they put Manning above Mize and rounded off to 60. Who knows.

I get that #12 is not significantly different from #16, but Manning over Mize is a new wrinkle. I know I haven't seen it before, anyway. I'm just surprised that didn't jump out to anyone else here.

It's been said before.

The common argument for that is manning ceiling is something like max Scherzer where mize is like a better Roger Clemens with the Yankees. 

So if you put the emphasis on your ranking in future ability/projection/ceiling then manning would like rate higher.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe the math shows Manning at 60.8 and Mize at 59.9, so they put Manning above Mize and rounded off to 60. Who knows.

I get that #12 is not significantly different from #16, but Manning over Mize is a new wrinkle. I know I haven't seen it before, anyway. I'm just surprised that didn't jump out to anyone else here.

Regadless of the numbers in their system, It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison so there is room to overlap with those two. Manning has the bigger arm - but can he learn to use it as well as Mize does?  Mize is closer but has had health issues. The factors are so different there are no reliable rules to slot them in very strict order.

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Regadless of the numbers in their system, It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison so there is room to overlap with those two. Manning has the bigger arm - but can he learn to use it as well as Mize does?  Mize is closer but has had health issues. The factors are so different there are no reliable rules to slot them in very strict order.

My only comment is that this is the first time I've seen Manning over Mize. It surprised me. If it surprises no one else, then I'm easily surprisable, I guess.

Relying entirely on 20/20 hindsight and knowing what is known now, would anyone have taken Joey Bart over Mize if you knew you could get Emerson Hancock in this draft? Or, would anybody be willing to trade Mize for Bart (SF wouldn’t I’m sure) ? You know Hancock is there if you want him.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Relying entirely on 20/20 hindsight and knowing what is known now, would anyone have taken Joey Bart over Mize if you knew you could get Emerson Hancock in this draft? Or, would anybody be willing to trade Mize for Bart (SF wouldn’t I’m sure) ? You know Hancock is there if you want him.

No. Hancock has some injury flags pop up. Pitchers get injured. No one knows the future.

Max was a huge injury risk at Mizzou and that's one reason AZ traded him.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

My only comment is that this is the first time I've seen Manning over Mize. It surprised me. If it surprises no one else, then I'm easily surprisable, I guess.

doesnt surprise me.  at this time last year i predicted manning would be ranked higher than mize by the end of 2019.  missed it by that much...

something about mize worries me.  manning seems like the uber-athlete type that will eventually learn a consistent release point and be able to dominate people.  for some reason, mize doesnt strike me the same way.

but what do i know?  ive seen them pitch like two times, both on the internet.

of course, i actually wanted them to take nick madrigal over mize.  so shows you what i know.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

doesnt surprise me.  at this time last year i predicted manning would be ranked higher than mize by the end of 2019.  missed it by that much...

something about mize worries me.  manning seems like the uber-athlete type that will eventually learn a consistent release point and be able to dominate people.  for some reason, mize doesnt strike me the same way.

of course, i actually wanted them to take nick madrigal over mize.  so shows you what i know.

It seems like every couple of years there is some hot theory for predicting pitcher injuries, ('inverted 'W" anyone?) but it seems that human physiology just defies easy categorization. What does seem to be true is that probability of injuries increases with injuries - i.e., there is such a thing as injury prone (Welcome back Cameron!) and the best way to identify it is whether a guy has been injured in the past.  With Mize - you'd like to make the argument that he hasn't really been injured - that in both cases he was shut down before any identifiable damage was done. I don't know if the same claim can be made for Perez though.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

Also, it's pretty well known that as dominant as Mize can be when he is right, he is also a not insignificant injury risk. I haven't heard the same about Manning.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Also, it's pretty well known that as dominant as Mize can be when he is right, he is also a not insignificant injury risk. I haven't heard the same about Manning.

then again, every pitcher is a significant injury risk.

It's just another one of those situations where everybody talks about how bad it is it, but nobody does anything about it!

🤔

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Jake has been working with the guy who teaches the JD approach to hitting

Good to hear

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/02/14/tigers-seek-team-effort-rework-jake-rogers-swing-mechanics/4761330002/

It would be nice if somebody on the Tigers would learn from what they did with the Twins.  The Twins went all launch angle last year and killed it.

25 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

then again, every pitcher is a significant injury risk.

It's just another one of those situations where everybody talks about how bad it is it, but nobody does anything about it!

🤔

Yes, of course you are right. They are not all at equal risk, though.

Does Jake Rogers start every season with a new swing?

Re pitcher injuries...where I come from an inverted W is called an M

5 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Does Jake Rogers start every season with a new swing?

Re pitcher injuries...where I come from an inverted W is called an M

But you must remain clear on these things geographically. If you are a Gopher, an inverted W can be an M, but not if you are a Wolverine!

47 minutes ago, leflore said:

So how did Tork do today? 

In any other world, a guy with the name Torkelson would be hung up in the locker room by his Fruit of the Looms.

Johnny Barbato and Artie Lewicki are no longer in the organization, so Torkelson is safe.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

In any other world, a guy with the name Torkelson would be hung up in the locker room by his Fruit of the Looms.

It finally dawned on why the name kept ringing a bell (despite the extra 'h')....and I'd missed that he had died.

Peter Halsten Thorkelson[1] (February 13, 1942 – February 21, 2019), known professionally as Peter Tork, was an American musician, composer and actor, best known as the keyboardist and bass guitarist of The Monkees.

Were the Monkees a real band or kafaybe?  I never really knew the answer to that.  Did they just create it for the show?  Was it like Mili Vanili?

They were created for the show.  Mike Nesmeth and Peter Tork we’re musicians, Nesmeth wrote a few songs. Mickey Dolenz has described the Monkeys as initially being a TV show about an imaginary band that wanted to be the Beatles.

That said Pleasant Valley Sunday is a good song, not great, but good