RatkoVarda

2020 Tiger Prospects

11 minutes ago, Yoda said:

He's actually had a lot of raw power, no idea why it hasn't really shown up. Would be nice to see him start using it. 

Yeah - He showed decent power in AA and AAA but wasn't handling MLB pitching very well in general his first few years in the league. Around the time he went to Atlanta and then Det I remember reading that he decided he had to concentrate less on power to be a better hitter, and he did achieve some improvement in his BA and OBP in Atl and Det. Good HR rate last season but limited sample and in NY HR central.

hopefully the tigers can develop riley green better than cameron maybin turned out.

36 minutes ago, Buddha said:

hopefully the tigers can develop riley green better than cameron maybin turned out.

It's all about the talent.  If Riley Greene is better, he will be.

20 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

It's all about the talent.  If Riley Greene is better, he will be.

Tell JD Martinez that only talent matters. What a weird comment. 

Yes, JD fixed himself, but it wasn't just talent. It could have just as easily come from one of his coaches. Sometimes hitters need help. 

They are two extremely different players.  Maybin is more explosive physically coming out of HS, but had contact concerns which have followed him through his career.  Greene is a more advanced hitter, and probably now a more complete player than Maybin ever was.

15 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

They are two extremely different players.  Maybin is more explosive physically coming out of HS, but had contact concerns which have followed him through his career.  Greene is a more advanced hitter, and probably now a more complete player than Maybin ever was.

he just hit .218 in A ball.  i think he has a few things to work on just yet.  lol.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

he just hit .218 in A ball.  i think he has a few things to work on just yet.  lol.

SSS

47 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Tell JD Martinez that only talent matters. What a weird comment. 

Yes, JD fixed himself, but it wasn't just talent. It could have just as easily come from one of his coaches. Sometimes hitters need help. 

I would guess that the  number who fail for lack of better coaching while real, is infinitesimal compared to those that just don't have the wiring not to be fooled by an MLB breaking ball.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

SSS

Same sample size as in low A Connecticut, for whatever that is worth.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would guess that the  number who fail for lack of better coaching while real, is infinitesimal compared to those that just don't have the wiring not to be fooled by an MLB breaking ball.

Agreed, but that's not the point I was making. I'm refuting the blanket statement that every player who has the talent will make it. 

I know a guy who was a coach in the divine child system in the mid 90s. Just 2 weeks ago we were talking and I asked about Ryan Anderson. He said he had talent but no work ethic. Wouldn’t listen to anyone.  

just throwing it out there as an anecdote as we just had the conversation and I intended to share.  

59 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I know a guy who was a coach in the divine child system in the mid 90s. Just 2 weeks ago we were talking and I asked about Ryan Anderson. He said he had talent but no work ethic. Wouldn’t listen to anyone.  

just throwing it out there as an anecdote as we just had the conversation and I intended to share.  

OK, not wanting it is always also the third possibility. Of course in that case nothing an organization does is likely to make any difference either. Darko's SI story is as good a write-up about a guy who never wanted to be there in the first place as I've read.

Also true that most guys who don't want it bail a lot sooner than Ryan Anderson or Darko. It takes a rare combination of talent and malleability for a guy to get pushed that far by other people's motivation, but I guess it happens often enough.

11 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

That bomb he hit to dead center in NY during his rookie year was quite the teaser..

Yeah that was an incredible shot

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

He's actually had a lot of raw power, no idea why it hasn't really shown up. Would be nice to see him start using it. 

I hate to be too obvious but I bet some launch angle hitting would help.  He is very strong and has good bat speed, all of the tools are there.

2 minutes ago, Topliner03 said:

Kumar Rocker, here we come.

EP79731WsAAKG9-.png

I don't know about these in general.  But I love the possibility of a 4 way tie for the NL road wild card.  Sign me up for that.

If we “Tanked for Tork,” what exactly are we going to do for Kumar Rocker?

1 hour ago, Topliner03 said:

Kumar Rocker, here we come.

EP79731WsAAKG9-.png

You do realize Rocker isn't draft eligable until 2021 right?

11 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The Tigers are just getting a head start on the draft following the upcoming draft?  Its the new money ball.

19 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Apparently yes, since that's a 2020 season projection.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, clinker said:

Rubbish for Rocker?

Refuse for Rocker?

Rotten for Rocker?

Rejects for Rocker?

Repugnant for Rocker?

(I'll keep working at it)

2 hours ago, clinker said:

Rockin' Last Place for Rocker.

How about:

"Cellar Dweller Kumar Rockers"...?