RatkoVarda

2020 Tiger Prospects

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Depth, to me, means you have a bunch of guys that are not top 100 but still have a decent chance to make a meaningful contribution in the majors.  I don't follow other teams systems close enough to know ho the Tigers compare.  I do wish they had more solid position prospects though.  

This. It is nonexistent. 

31 minutes ago, Yoda said:

This. It is nonexistent. 

Depends on your definition of "bunch'.  At last check fangraphs had them as having 11 45+ players which by definition are players that project to contribute something at the majors.   

I know guys like Mark and Law are down on their depth but there are others that aren't atleast not too that extent.  Plus very few if any can match the top 4 they have so even if they don't have the best depth that top end is going to carry some weight.

With that said I too think number 5 is too high but I don't think it's anymore of a stretch than having them at 20 like Law did.   I personally think they are in that 10-13 range with the possibility of being a little higher or lower depending on your views. 

Also just want to add that I am by no means satisfied with their farm system, while I think it is getting better and you can't help but be happy with the top 4 I personally think it should be higher ranked than it is for no other reason than the lack of graduations which skews things in their favor.  While it may be around10th in farm system rankings if you ranked systems/organiztions by young talent(say prospects and players with 2 years in the pros or less) I bet it would rank in the bottom 3rd if not bottom 5 but I suppose that is a completely different argument.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Maybe Gehringer...The rest of us were thinking about strippers in Toledo.  

As in where exactly did they move to.

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Depth, to me, means you have a bunch of guys that are not top 100 but still have a decent chance to make a meaningful contribution in the majors.  I don't follow other teams systems close enough to know ho the Tigers compare.  I do wish they had more solid position prospects though.  

What team has that?!

And if they were projected to make meaningful contributions they be in the top 100.

24 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

What team has that?!

And if they were projected to make meaningful contributions they be in the top 100.

If that's true Parades is only projected to contribute by a couple sites

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

Attendance is sparse until late May.

Withing the past 24 hours or so, Michigan confirmed their first 2 Co-Vid19 cases.  And apparently, MI Gov has already declared State of Emergency in Michigan .. and MSU, CMU, EMU, UM, WMU and other colleges have already closed in-person classes until April 20.  I expect K-12 schools to soon follow same path.

Will not surprise me if all MLB games are played devoid of any fans in the ballpark seats until mid-to-late May.

6 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think many fans dont have a rational view of depth, as I said.

That they often say I wish our system was deeper when in fact it's as deep or more so than every other team.

For example, take the mlb pipeline list. I chose that one because that is the one the discussion is about. If they grade a guy at 45 overall that is a fringy type player. Our first guy with a 45 doesn't show up till what our 11th or 12th best prospect. Our top 10 guys are all rated 50 overall or higher. Not many teams have that kind of depth.

I think when fans say depth they mean like 9 guys in the top 100 but that's just not a realistic expectation.

I trust a guy like Microline.  He says we don't have a lot of depth (or any depth).  And I believe him.

9 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Withing the past 24 hours or so, Michigan confirmed their first 2 Co-Vid19 cases.  And apparently, MI Gov has already declared State of Emergency in Michigan .. and MSU, CMU, EMU, UM, WMU and other colleges have already closed in-person classes until April 20.  I expect K-12 schools to soon follow same path.

Will not surprise me if all MLB games are played devoid of any fans in the ballpark seats until mid-to-late May.

Those greedy ****s will do whatever they can to play those games with fans in the seats, no matter the consequences.

They should be playing those games without fans right now, not waiting for someone else to tell them differently.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

What team has that?!

Like I said, I don't follow other teams systems very closely.

There are surely more than 100 players who have a decent chance to make a meaningful contribution.  I didn't say "projected".  Also, is there really much difference between #75 and #150?  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I trust a guy like Microline.  He says we don't have a lot of depth (or any depth).  And I believe him.

I don't think its great and its fine if people say it needs to be better. In fact Al hasn't done great in rounds 2 and 3 and that hurts. But, as I said, I think many fans, you see it here, think that you need 9 top 100 guys to be deep, that's just not realistic. 

And I've said it before I'm not worried too much about system depth anyways. You build around high end talent/nobody builds around a #7 hitter and a #4 pitcher.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Also, is there really much difference between #75 and #150?  

That's kind of the point. People think we aren't deep for X reason. But you look at the MLB pipeline rankings or fangraphs and whatever and those backend 100 guys have the same overall rating as someone like Daz. 

But, yet we aren't deep. 

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Or will they even play? As University of Toledo's basketball coach noted, aren't the players and officials more likely to contact the virus than the fans? I realize that, yes, basketball is indoors and baseball is mostly outdoors...

Will they leave the roofs (rooves?) open to let the germs out in Toronto and TB?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

He's been very reliable for many years, so I believe him too.   

• Fangraphs rating system can be misleading. A 45fv could refer to a guy like Campos , a guy with no track record and a ton of potential. Or a player like Wenceel Perez, who looks like a decent bet to have a legit glove at SS but will contribute little offensively. Or a guy like Franklyn Perez, who if he stays healthy could be a rotation mainstay. Rating him a 45, which i believe they did, is a compromise basically. If he stays healthy he's a good bet to be 55fv, his injury history suggests it's unlikely however.
  • The problem with the Tigers postional depth is most of them have low ceilings or a poor track record.
  • And i don't know why these are bullet points.

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Those greedy ****s will do whatever they can to play those games with fans in the seats, no matter the consequences.

They should be playing those games without fans right now, not waiting for someone else to tell them differently.

Rob Manfred is not intellectually capable of making such decisions.

But, yes, if social distancing is going to be a tool used to fight off coronavirus, then what is taking so long to embrace it during spring training?  Its inconvenient for fans, it sucks for the spring training facilities that depend upon the tourism.  But so what?  Everybody is going to be inconvenienced to some extent over the next few months.

Anyway, going back to the Red Sox announcement due a couple of weeks ago.....

Probably as good a time for this as any. And might be the last TJ surgery anyone gets for awhile.

I didn't even know Wentz was hurt.  That sucks, but like you said I guess if you have to have it might as well be now. 

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Probably as good a time for this as any. And might be the last TJ surgery anyone gets for awhile.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't even know Wentz was hurt.  That sucks, but like you said I guess if you have to have it might as well be now. 

Yeah - where did that come from?

I just looked the ST stats - I guess he had not made any appearances. 

Kiley McDaniel came out with his farm Rankings on ESPN and he has the Tigers at number 6.