Casimir

01/29/2020 7:30 EST Detroit Pistons vs Brooklyn Nets

01/29/2020 7:30 EST from Brooklyn, New York...

DET-2020.png  BRK-2020.png

Detroit Pistons (17-31) at Brooklyn Nets (19-26)

The Pistons are 5-9 during what was an easier stretch in January. Bodes really well for this team tanking into a top 5 pick. 

Gonna be hard to get top 5 when teams like Minnesota are straight up giving games away.

It's amazing how many bad teams there are right now.  Atleast the Pistons have the excuse of being in purgatory so long they haven't had a chance to draft early to get premium talent but teams like the Kings, T-Wolves, Suns, Hawks and others don't have that excuse.  

The new lottery rules took away the incentive for a Philly style tank job.  But it also gave more incentive to be bad.

If the season ended right now, the Pistons would be 8th in the lottery with a 6% shot at drafting #1 and 26% chance of moving up into the top 4.

The old rules gave them a 2.8% shot at drafting #1 and about a 10% chance of moving into the top 3.

So the incentive to be bad and not make the playoffs is still there, and maybe even stronger than it was before the changes.

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Gonna be hard to get top 5 when teams like Minnesota are straight up giving games away.

How long before KAT demands a trade? 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28585871/nba-trade-deadline-predictions-top-teams-players-watch

Marks: The Detroit Pistons would certainly like to shake up their roster. Unfortunately for them, their three highest-paid players -- Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson -- aren't high on teams' lists of trade targets. Even though Drummond is a double-double presence each night, there isn't strong interest in him as an impending free agent. Drummond certainly could be traded, but is it worth moving him for an expiring contract and a second-round pick?

Sad.  Nobody wants the three guys eating up most of your cap.  

Stan was kind of bad at his job.

5 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

How long before KAT demands a trade? 

He probably should.  Minnesota might be smart to consider it too.  He just signed a long term deal, so a team will have him under contract for the next 3-4 years.  Makes it easier to give up a lot to get him.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28585871/nba-trade-deadline-predictions-top-teams-players-watch

Sad.  Nobody wants the three guys eating up most of your cap.  

Stan was kind of bad at his job.

I'd trade Drummond for an expiring straight up, a 2nd rounder would be icing on the cake. Management needs to realize that it's not about getting value for Drummond (that ship sailed a while ago), it's about avoiding the opt in clogging up $28M in cap space and not overpaying a center who can't hit a shot outside of 5 feet and is inconsistent defensively. Not to mention, needing to turn the page on this era and the culture that came with that.

Just over a year since we last saw this.

Indiana is the 6th seed at 30-17.  Not saying it will happen, but they could catch any team not named Milwaukee in the east.

Didn't they play really well last year after Oladipo got hurt? Maybe they should try shopping him if when/if he comes back and proves he's healthy.

I like how Brooklyn is defending Rose.  Jordan is 6 feet away from the screener.  Rose comes off the screen and has nowhere to go because Jordan is standing back in the paint so far.

The best Kobe commercial.  Jalen was on the Raptors and guarded Bryant a bit when Kobe scored 81.

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

At this point I'm not even sure he is qualified for the G-League.

He averaged 16 PPG / 5.3 RPG / 1.5 APG on a 48/38/81 split through 15 games in the G-League.

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

At this point I'm not even sure he is qualified for the G-League.

Oh please. He was doing just fine in the G League. 

He's a 19 year old kid who has hit a rookie wall in the NBA. Not a big deal.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Oh please. He was doing just fine in the G League. 

He's a 19 year old kid who has hit a rookie wall in the NBA. Not a big deal.

How many of his games did you watch in the G-League?

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

How many of his games did you watch in the G-League?

None, just highlights. So based on your viewings, he's not qualified for the G League?

This is a kid (and he's still a kid at this point) that was averaging around 14 efficient points and 5 rebounds in his first 10 or so starts in the NBA against a few tough customers so now all of a sudden because of a slump, you're not sure that he's qualified for the G League. Seems a little harsh, no? 

Geesh, a few days ago we were building the franchise around him. We have met Sparky Anderson, and he is us.

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

None, just highlights. So based on your viewings, he's not qualified for the G League?

This is a kid (and he's still a kid at this point) that was averaging around 14 efficient points and 5 rebounds in his first 10 or so starts in the NBA against a few tough customers so now all of a sudden because of a slump, you're not sure that he's qualified for the G League. Seems a little harsh, no? 

So your assessment that he was fine in the G-League was based on highlights?  Doesn't everyone look good based on their highlights?  That is sort of the point of highlights.

What qualifies this as a slump?  He has had an equal amount of bad games as good games.  Was it a slump or was he on a heater?  You can't really tell with his small history so I avoid the stats and watch him on the court. 

On the ball he appears to be a decent defender, possibly even above average.  Off the ball he is brutal.  Most kids his age are, but he takes it to a completely different level IMO.  He doesn't understand the concept of rotating at all, he doesn't even have the instincts for it, which is worrisome.  He has trouble identifying where the ball and his man are, often losing one of them and you need to know where both are constantly to play good defense.  He gets caught standing around flat footed a bit, almost like his background is playing zone defense and maybe he did in Europe, I don't know.  

I like him more on offense.  I think his jumper looks fine.  Like defense, he stands around a bit much.  He has made some nice cuts to the basket so I think the instincts are there, the movement just needs to be encourage a bit more from him.  Like the scouting reports said before the draft, he does have a bit of a high dribble and he needs to tighten that up.  Not much of a post game but I don't really expect it from him at his age/experience level.  I would break out some old Dantley and Aguirre VHS tapes for him to watch over the summer and get a post move or two under his belt.

I think my biggest concern about him is if he can actually play PF or not.  As the league transitions to more and more SF's moving to PF, I think he's a step slow on the perimeter to defend those guys. I think his future might be a bit brighter at center as the league continues to get smaller and smaller.  He is in good shape and has a decent frame, I think he could add 20-25 pounds of muscle and maybe be a Montrezl Harrell type center but with a three point shot.  

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Geesh, a few days ago we were building the franchise around him. We have met Sparky Anderson, and he is us.

We had a lot of pent-up enthusiasm from the Henry Ellenson hall of fame campaign.  

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

So your assessment that he was fine in the G-League was based on highlights?  Doesn't everyone look good based on their highlights?  That is sort of the point of highlights.

What qualifies this as a slump?  He has had an equal amount of bad games as good games.  Was it a slump or was he on a heater?  You can't really tell with his small history so I avoid the stats and watch him on the court. 

On the ball he appears to be a decent defender, possibly even above average.  Off the ball he is brutal.  Most kids his age are, but he takes it to a completely different level IMO.  He doesn't understand the concept of rotating at all, he doesn't even have the instincts for it, which is worrisome.  He has trouble identifying where the ball and his man are, often losing one of them and you need to know where both are constantly to play good defense.  He gets caught standing around flat footed a bit, almost like his background is playing zone defense and maybe he did in Europe, I don't know.  

I like him more on offense.  I think his jumper looks fine.  Like defense, he stands around a bit much.  He has made some nice cuts to the basket so I think the instincts are there, the movement just needs to be encourage a bit more from him.  Like the scouting reports said before the draft, he does have a bit of a high dribble and he needs to tighten that up.  Not much of a post game but I don't really expect it from him at his age/experience level.  I would break out some old Dantley and Aguirre VHS tapes for him to watch over the summer and get a post move or two under his belt.

I think my biggest concern about him is if he can actually play PF or not.  As the league transitions to more and more SF's moving to PF, I think he's a step slow on the perimeter to defend those guys. I think his future might be a bit brighter at center as the league continues to get smaller and smaller.  He is in good shape and has a decent frame, I think he could add 20-25 pounds of muscle and maybe be a Montrezl Harrell type center but with a three point shot.  

Good rundown and I agree with a lot of it but the things you mentioned that he needs to work on can be fixed with experience. You have to remember that this is the youngest player in the draft with a raw skillset so it's going to take a while for those skills to polish.

What he does have is a lot of natural skill which is something that can't be taught so if he works hard and gets the proper guidance, I don't see what will stop him from being at least a solid starter in the league. People just need to understand that this might take a few years though. This isn't exactly a good environment for him to grow in right now.