Sign in to follow this  
Casimir

01/24/2020 7:00 EST Memphis Grizzlies vs Detroit Pistons

01/24/2020 7:00 EST from Detroit, Michigan...

MEM-2020.png  DET-2020.png

Memphis Grizzlies (20-24) at Detroit Pistons (17-28)

Not that it matters much but why start Reggie tonight?  His game does not exactly seem like it would mesh well with Rose.  Or as an off the ball guard.  

Galloway in for Reggie.  Much better lineup out there that complements each other.  I like Reggie as a 6th man to get all of the backup point guard minutes but it was just stupid to start the game with him and Rose together.  

Reggie looks decent when he can just dominate the ball and not worry about the trying to run an offense.  Just a one and one player who keeps coming at you.  There's value in that as a bench player because the guys you are playing with don't command a lot of touches.  

The Pistons are terrible at defending the basket in the paint.  Maker is the worst.  

Casey rolling with Rose and Reggie down the stretch.  Again, the offense does not look good.  Reggie hit a long three on one possession to bail them out but otherwise, it is just tough shots and hope for a whistle.  Svi should be in the game.

21 minutes ago, Hart said:

The Pistons are terrible at defending the basket in the paint.  Maker is the worst.  

So I keep hearing Wood is a terrible defender... couple questions:

If he is so atrocious... why does it "Always" seem like he has a huge +/- every game? I know that's not a great stat but... after seeing it almost every game it seems much less like a coincidence and more like he's a net positive overall...

Second... conversely, Maker always seems to have a huge negative +/- every single game. So who's the worse defender? Just watching the numbers go by... it seems like it's Maker who is hands-down the worse defender, with Wood, again... a net positive.

PS: Basketball Ref has Wood averaging a Def Rating of 108 over his career, and a 118 Off Rating, 122 this year. Maker 109 D and 108 O career, 110 D and 111 O this year...

But what does eyesight tell ya'?

I mean... I guess Wood's O and D rating sort of tell me the answer why he's got a net positive +/- seemingly every game...

Well, if you are pro tanking, then you should be happy Reggie is back.  The team was a disaster down the stretch.  Sure, it is not all his fault but things went way south after he came in the game with 5 or 6 minutes to go.  I like him as a bench player but that is it.  Plus, he is a terrible defender.  Casey will make sure to misuse him though I'm afraid.  

Great game from Ja.  Kind of out of it for 3 1/2 quarters but still found ways to contribute.  Then took over the last few minutes of the game.

Memphis just has a lot more talent and it took over down the stretch.  BTW, the guys Memphis played down the stretch have 7 years experience in the league, combined.  And they destroyed the Pistons in that time.  

But again... are we afraid of that... or do we WANT that?

I'm for not being stupid and bringing RJ off the bench. But still losing. 

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

I like turning my TV on and not seeing Drummond on the floor.

Sitting on the bench sulking instead of standing on the floor and sulking.

Honestly, Woods' 3 pointers are probably just as valuable as Andre's rebounding.  If they missed Drummond tonight it was as a big guy in the paint deterring drives.  So if it was a motivated Andre night, he might have helped them out, when he wasn't getting abused by Valenciunas.

Good example why Wood is said to be bad on defense.

He is a step slow rotating here.  The second Ja starts to rock Galloway, Wood needs to be moving to the paint to cut him off.  And he waits a good 2 or 3 dribbles before reacting.  Instead of setting up to take a charge or at least get in Ja's way, he is standing there reaching at a guy flying past him.  

https://streamable.com/hcjo9

Galloway didn't do him any favors here.  He over commits to the sideline for no reason at all where he should be taking away the middle of the floor more, make Ja go a little wider to give Wood a bit more time to react.

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Great game from Ja.  Kind of out of it for 3 1/2 quarters but still found ways to contribute.  Then took over the last few minutes of the game.

Memphis just has a lot more talent and it took over down the stretch.  BTW, the guys Memphis played down the stretch have 7 years experience in the league, combined.  And they destroyed the Pistons in that time.  

Their fans have a  lot to look forward to.  Getting the 2nd pick in the draft was a big break for them.  They needed a guy to pair with Jackson and Morant is definitely that guy.  

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Sitting on the bench sulking instead of standing on the floor and sulking.

Honestly, Woods' 3 pointers are probably just as valuable as Andre's rebounding.  If they missed Drummond tonight it was as a big guy in the paint deterring drives.  So if it was a motivated Andre night, he might have helped them out, when he wasn't getting abused by Valenciunas.

Yeah...I thought Wood and Maker was a noticeable big drop on defense from Andre.  Either they are getting overpowered or late on help.