kgeorge78

Why not Brady for one year???

I had a vision.

Lions sign Brady for 2 years.

The trade Stafford for a 1st.

They draft D with both 1st round pics and all throughout the Draft.

Next Year Draft a QB.   Why not.

Probably because at this point in his career Brady is a downgrade from Stafford. New England would probably gladly give their 1st round pick for Stafford. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Probably because at this point in his career Brady is a downgrade from Stafford.

this

Not that I'm advocating doing this but in the hypothetical situation where they trade Stafford for a 1st I'd hope they draft Tua then.  

you would be lucky to get a first for stafford.  brady isnt good anymore.

there is no reason to replace your good qb with a worse qb.

My prediction is Belichick will suddenly retire,   McDaniels will take over and Brady will stay in NE. 

52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

My prediction is Belichick will suddenly retire,   McDaniels will take over and Brady will stay in NE. 

Brady to Tennessee. Belichick retires.

Signing Brady to replace Stafford is really stupid. So yes, I could see the Lions doing that.

Stafford had a career-best 8 games this year.

Stafford's last full season last year was virtually identical to what Brady did this year.

Brady had a very similar season in 2013.

Stafford has had serious injury issues the last couple of seasons.  Brady is waaayyy older, but is a freak health-wise and has been pretty durable over his career.

Stafford had 3 very good seasons in a row before 2018, but Brady had 10 out of 12 seasons like that before 2019.

Yeah, but Stafford is now somehow a clear upgrade on Brady.  

I love Stafford but he should not be considered to be better than Brady until he can clearly perform better for at least a full season. 

Look, it ain't happening, not in a million years, but if they swapped Stafford for Brady with the idea of drafting a replacement right now to take over in a year or three, I would be completely fine with that. 

We've tried the Stafford model for 9 seasons, and the results are 4 winning seasons and 0 playoff wins. 

Don't get me wrong, Stafford is a very good QB and the org's failures with him are *not* his fault, but I would not be opposed to having arguably the best QB in history give it a whirl. 

My only misgiving, other than seeing Stafford go, who I like, would be to see Brady's reputation tarnished by having to play for the Lions and get hammered, which I guess would be how most really good offensive players probably think about the Lions and avoid them if they can.

35 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Stafford had a career-best 8 games this year.

Stafford's last full season last year was virtually identical to what Brady did this year.

Brady had a very similar season in 2013.

Stafford has had serious injury issues the last couple of seasons.  Brady is waaayyy older, but is a freak health-wise and has been pretty durable over his career.

Stafford had 3 very good seasons in a row before 2018, but Brady had 10 out of 12 seasons like that before 2019.

Yeah, but Stafford is now somehow a clear upgrade on Brady.  

I love Stafford but he should not be considered to be better than Brady until he can clearly perform better for at least a full season. 

Stafford had a 136 game start streak, longer than Brady, but Brady at 43 years old is suddenly the health freak. There are concerns about Brady's health and it doesn't get better as you enter your mid-40's. The past doesn't really matter. At this point in their respective careers, Stafford is a better QB.

im really surprised anyone is contemplating throwing money at tom brady.  he's 43 years old!  he's not good anymore!  

im the biggest tom brady fan outside of new england, but he's just not the same qb anymore.  if anything, i wish he would have retired after he won his last superbowl.  go out on top.

if he does come back, i hope he wins again.  but i dont think he will unless he's on a team with the 85 bears defense on it.

trading stafford and signing brady is dumb.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Stafford had a 136 game start streak, longer than Brady, but Brady at 43 years old is suddenly the health freak. There are concerns about Brady's health and it doesn't get better as you enter your mid-40's. The past doesn't really matter. At this point in their respective careers, Stafford is a better QB.

Brady is "suddenly the health freak"?  He played nearly uninterrupted football from age 32 to 42, missing only 4 games.

At this point in their respective careers, Stafford had a great 1/2 season resulting in a broken back, and we don't know how that is going to pan out at all....Brady had one so-so season for him which is similar to Stafford's last full season in 2018.

It's not clear at all who is more likely to play a full season in 2020, nor who is going to be better in 2020 or even 2021.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

im really surprised anyone is contemplating throwing money at tom brady.  he's 43 years old!  he's not good anymore!  

im the biggest tom brady fan outside of new england, but he's just not the same qb anymore.  if anything, i wish he would have retired after he won his last superbowl.  go out on top.

He performed as well in 2019 as Stafford did in 2018.  That aint HoF but that's still above average, and it's hardly an endorsement of the argument that Stafford >> Brady.

I totally get that Brady is really old for an NFL QB but he's been defying that trend for a long time....one above-average season does not = washed up.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if he does come back, i hope he wins again.  but i dont think he will unless he's on a team with the 85 bears defense on it.

trading stafford and signing brady is dumb.

I hope he doesn't come to the Lions just because it would tarnish his reputation.  I'd prefer he retire from the Pats and call it a HoF career. 

But to say he's clearly a downgrade from Stafford at this point given Stafford's injury situation and their fairly comparable recent seasons' is dumb. 

Again, when Stafford has outplayed Brady for one full season, then we can talk about how he's better with an actual track record of being better.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

So at best, Brady is equal to Stafford so we want one year of Brady because why again? 

I would not grant that Stafford is equal to Brady until Stafford can play at a healthy/high level coming off the back injury.

7 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Again, when Stafford has outplayed Brady for one full season, then we can talk about how he's better with an actual track record of being better.

stafford never outplayed joe montana either but i dont think we should bring ol joe in to be qb.

brady will be 43 next season coming off his worst season.  and he's never played outside the new england cocoon.  we dont know what he would be like in detroit.

look, if they want to tear everything down and start over, i get it.  i think this team is really lacking in high end talent thank to quinn.  but theyve just been given an ultimatum to win now.  you dont do that by trading away your best player in his prime for a 43 year old qb who cant throw past 15 yards.

part of me.wishes they would trade stafford because i like him and i want to see him win.  let him go be a part of a good organization for a change.

and all of this is out the window if stafford's back injury truly is serious.  if that's the case, then you draft tua.

We haven't even got to the fact that Brady wants to be among the highest paid QBs and with Stafford's contract, the Lions could have $50 million invested in the QB position and have a 43 year old in decline. 

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

stafford never outplayed joe montana either but i dont think we should bring ol joe in to be qb.

I want Y.A. Tittle

brady will be 43 next season coming off his worst season.  and he's never played outside the new england cocoon.  we dont know what he would be like in detroit.

He would probably wind up like C3PO being carried on Chewy's back.  But Stafford wound up like Han Solo encased in carbomite or whatever the black goo was.  Stop me before I mention ewoks.

look, if they want to tear everything down and start over, i get it.  i think this team is really lacking in high end talent thank to quinn.  but theyve just been given an ultimatum to win now.  you dont do that by trading away your best player in his prime for a 43 year old qb who cant throw past 15 yards.

I really like Stafford a lot and I'm sick of him getting the **** kicked out of him playing for this stupid franchise, and I would like Kelly to be able to trot their kids out on the platform for some trophy love at some point.  I have never liked Tom Brady and part of me would like to see him get the **** kicked out of him playing for this stupid franchise, as long as there is some small chance that he would figure it out and lead this team to glory....part of me likes the purity of him retiring as a HoF without the Lions stink though.....I don't know, life is confusing....I just can't take any more of what the Lions are dishing out.

part of me.wishes they would trade stafford because i like him and i want to see him win.  let him go be a part of a good organization for a change.

and all of this is out the window if stafford's back injury truly is serious.  if that's the case, then you draft tua.

Tua enough.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

We haven't even got to the fact that Brady wants to be among the highest paid QBs and with Stafford's contract, the Lions could have $50 million invested in the QB position and have a 43 year old in decline. 

That's the overriding reason why not to do it of course.  If it were baseball I'd say "spend!" but in the salary cap world he would finish off the entire buffet.  Whatever, it's the early part of the offseason, time for flights of fancy.  Back to winter and the long slog towards another dismal Lions' season.

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I'm surprised the "Stafford's back is a career ender" has had such legs. Cracked vertibrae are really no big deal - they heal completely just like a broken arm. Unless the Lions have been concealing some other soft tissue issue (i.e. disc degeneration) or calcification (arthritis) the talk about Stafford's back seems to be pure concern trolling.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm surprised the "Stafford's back is a career ender" has had such legs. Cracked vertibrae are really no big deal - they heal completely just like a broken arm. Unless the Lions have been concealing some other soft tissue issue (i.e. disc degeneration) or calcification (arthritis) the talk about Stafford's back seems to be pure concern trolling.

isnt that what ended romo's career?