ROMAD1

The Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump

15 hours ago, pfife said:

FYI

On Twitter you can tell Marsha Blackburn to f off and not get in trouble.  But adding that you want a cactus to fall on her is against the rules and your account will be limited.

Not that I am speaking from personal experience

You can tell her to **** off and get away with it because it's not a physical threat. You could never get away with threatening to **** her ** *** *** with a *** ****** ****, though. Or even with a cactus.

11 hours ago, pfife said:

people calling into cspan arguing there's no evidence.

That's because they're not even watching the proceedings, and the "news" they consume isn't reporting on it. Examples:

AL_AS.jpg

MI_MC.jpg

IA_SCJ.jpg

WI_GBP.jpg

TX_LDN.jpg

There are hundreds of other examples just like this.

This is the most important story in the country right now, bar none, and it's not even close. If it doesn't show up on people's local front pages, how important can it be to them?

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's because they're not even watching the proceedings, and the "news" they consume isn't reporting on it. Examples:

AL_AS.jpg

MI_MC.jpg

IA_SCJ.jpg

WI_GBP.jpg

TX_LDN.jpg

This is the most important story in the country right now, bar none, and it's not even close. If it doesn't show up on people's local front pages, how important can it be to them?

HLN as a channel exists to somnalize people in public spaces with "safe fare" like murder stories and celebrity gossip.  Other favorites: disease stories and shark attacks.

2 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Pence was Manaford’s choice for Trump’s VP during the 2016 election.

That should tell you something

Ha ha, Manafort ... jeez, that seems like a million years ago.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

C-SPAN Caller:  Impeachment is a false flag to distract from gun laws being passed on the state level.

At times, I wish Democrats were about 1/8 as strategic as they're accused of.   That said, this couldn't be a dumber conspiracy theory.

It doesn't have to be smart. All it has to do is get people riled up.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You can tell her to **** off and get away with it because it's not a physical threat. You could never get away with threatening to **** her ** *** *** with a *** ****** ****, though. Or even with a cactus.

Well I didn't threaten her, I didn't want to hit her with a cactus personally hahahaha

The technical violation was wishing harm on another 

23 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

HLN as a channel exists to somnalize people in public spaces with "safe fare" like murder stories and celebrity gossip.  Other favorites: disease stories and shark attacks.

I remember watching CNN Headline News when it first came out. Good way to get a quick 30-minute catch-up newscast anytime.

Just now, pfife said:

Well I didn't threaten her, I didn't want to hit her with a cactus personally hahahaha

The technical violation was wishing harm on another 

Maybe the reasoning is that wishing harm is a not so long leap from doing harm?

Just now, chasfh said:

Maybe the reasoning is that wishing harm is a not so long leap from doing harm?

That strikes me as a huge leap, like something happening vs it not happening

28 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Another thing I noticed flipping around the Newseum front page: many of the larger red state papers that did mention the trial on the front page focused on the Ukraine theory, highlighting the word "bogus" in quotes.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

That strikes me as a huge leap, like something happening vs it not happening

They might see it less as binary and more as continuum. Not defending it, just speculating on it.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

AL_AS.jpg

MI_MC.jpg

IA_SCJ.jpg

WI_GBP.jpg

TX_LDN.jpg

I'm gonna ask this one more time:

Why the **** should local news papers cover events that basically exist all over national news outlets?

Like, why should impeachment preempt a local story about a triple homicide in a community outside Anniston, Alabama or a body being found outside Lufkin, Texas, when literally every cable outlet, national newspaper and even local TV news is dedicating the time to impeachment, or even (generally) leading with it?

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Why the **** should local news papers cover events that basically exist all over national news outlets?

Like, why should impeachment preempt a local story about a triple homicide in a community outside Anniston, Alabama or a body being found outside Lufkin, Texas, when literally every cable outlet, national newspaper and even local TV news is dedicating the time to impeachment, or even (generally) leading with it?

I wouldn't go looking for national stories in my Livonia Observer for sure. 

I'll ask again about the Detroit papers.  They seem to have editorial cartoon and other peripheral coverage but not really front page. 

25 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I wouldn't go looking for national stories in my Livonia Observer for sure. 

I'll ask again about the Detroit papers.  They seem to have editorial cartoon and other peripheral coverage but not really front page. 

Let's take a look at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, my hometown paper:

TX_FWST.jpg

Two observations:

1. Firefighters getting hit by cars while responding to a call is a really big local story and warrants front page coverage. In no small part because you sure aren't going to hear it on CNN or MSNBC or from the Times or Post.
  2. The Coronavirus hitting a county that's two hours away (and home to one of the largest public universities in the country) is a really big local story because said university has a lot of students from the area and, because of impeachment, you sure aren't going to hear it on CNN or MSNBC or from the Times or Post.
  3. If you look way up at the top, despite a number of stories of local interest, they sure do mention impeachment and that, on top of all the other sources you can go to hear about it you can go to their website to read more about it as we;;.

I could go on and on, but pointing to local papers and determining that "nobody cares" sort of misses the point of local papers.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

And I'm gonna tell you this one more time:

A high percentage of people in small towns and cities, especially older (and old) people, rely on a small number of media outlets for their news, their local paper being one of their major sources. (Anecdote: my unincorporated community-inhabiting in-laws read every inch of the Green Bay Press-Gazette every day as their, I swear to you, one of two main sources of news, with Channel 11 news as the other.) If the most important development in the most important story in the country in many years isn't getting any space on the front pages of the paper they read, how are they going to have any idea that it's even happening? And if they do have an inkling that it's happening, if it's not covered in the local paper, well, how important can it be? It must be some kind of rumor this fake news that the president's been talking about is trying to spread. And never forget: these people vote in each and every election, because they take voting heart attack serious, too.

FWIW, maybe the big city stations in Dallas and Austin are giving airtime to the trial during their newscasts, but I have my doubts as to whether small market stations (i.e., DMA rank > 75) are devoting much time to this either, and if they are, it's probably in passing just before the transition from news to weather, with the focus on Democrats ridiculously labeling obvious Ukrainian interference on behalf of Hillary as "bogus". A lot of those stations are Sinclair stations.

It's all a result of the strategy to take over of local media by the Kochs and their fellow travelers over the past couple of decades. Might not seem like much of anything to some, especially to Internet-savvy people who don't consume local newspapers and broadcast themselves, but I assure you that it's decidedly something, and a whole lot of something at that.

Democratic and liberal strategists ignore it at their peril.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

FWIW, maybe the big city stations in Dallas and Austin are giving airtime to the trial during their newscasts, but I have my doubts as to whether small market stations (i.e., DMA rank > 75) are devoting much time to this either, and if they are, it's probably in passing just before the transition from news to weather, with the focus on Democrats ridiculously labeling obvious Ukrainian interference on behalf of Hillary as "bogus". 

FWIW, I spent a good portion of the last three weeks in the Little Rock media market, by no means a big one, watched the news pretty regularly, and found that it was given an appropriate amount of coverage.

And I'm telling you that I've spent the majority of my life in smaller areas than the one that I'm in now. Local papers don't have dedicated spaces for national stories, especially on a multiple day event like impeachment. It's not the purpose of these outlets and it never has been.

Caregiver who came to my house to look after my elderly mother-in-law was asking while we watched the local coverage of impeachment if they were going to 'trow dee prezident in prison'

Came to find out the young lady was from Democratic Republic of Congo and had never(!) had pizza before in her life.

DC market is covering it no worries.

Went to 9and10news.com which is out of Cadillac MI and the very first sentence, in large capital letters, is senate impeachment trial. It also has a link to watch it live. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say this is covered on their news broadcast given how prominent it is on their website.

2 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Caregiver who came to my house to look after my elderly mother-in-law was asking while we watched the local coverage of impeachment if they were going to 'trow dee prezident in prison'

Came to find out the young lady was from Democratic Republic of Congo and had never(!) had pizza before in her life.

DC market is covering it no worries.

Hopefully you didn't give her a Little Caesars pizza.