Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

2020 NBA Trade Deadline

February 6th at 3PM (Or is it 4?).

Probably use this for league rumors and individual threads for Pistons rumors.  

At first glance this looks like two teams shuffling trash back and forth.  Then I read the second Tweet.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, Deleterious said:

I'm not a subscriber so I can't read that article but from what I read other places the Wolves would likely be dealing a Covington, Okogie and expirings to get him.  If that's true should  the Pistons try getting Russell?  I don't want him to chase for an 8 seed but he could be a great player for the future and we know we'd be unlikely to sign somebody like him if we had the cap space.   

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm not a subscriber so I can't read that article but from what I read other places the Wolves would likely be dealing a Covington, Okogie and expirings to get him.  If that's true should  the Pistons try getting Russell?  I don't want him to chase for an 8 seed but he could be a great player for the future and we know we'd be unlikely to sign somebody like him if we had the cap space.   

I have kind of wondered about Russell as well.  Golden State took him on in order to get something in return for Durant and it seems the popular notion is that Russell wouldn't fit with a healthy Curry and Thompson next season.

Its going to be annoying as all get out to see Golden State win the draft lottery and have a piece like Russell to move.  Drummond for the 1st overall and Russell?  Yeah, I know, I should go to the concussion tent for typing that. 

That is a real nice number for Utah.

I think if O'Neale goes to free agency this summer he might get $12M+ per year.

Of course with so few teams having available money this summer, there is a good chance he gets no offers and he ends up back with Utah for less than $9M per.  Probably smart to be safe here.

Del, can you explain the Pistons situation with Christian Wood?  Do we have to worry about losing him in free agency?  I know we have his Early Bird Rights but I am not sure how big of an advantage that is for us.  

16 minutes ago, Hart said:

Del, can you explain the Pistons situation with Christian Wood?  Do we have to worry about losing him in free agency?  I know we have his Early Bird Rights but I am not sure how big of an advantage that is for us.  

Sure.

Larry **** describes Early Bird rights as a weaker version of full Bird rights.  With full you can go as far over the cap as you want to sign your free agent.  With early you are limited to what you can offer him.  You can offer 175% of his previous years salary or 105% of the average salary in the league, whichever is greater.

Wood makes $1.5M this year so 175% of that is $2.6M.  The average salary in the league is $7.7M.  So 105% of that is just a touch over $8M.  So Detroit can offer him $8M, sort of.

I said sort of because all of that only applies if Detroit is over the cap.  If they have more than the $8M in cap space, they are welcome to use that to sign Wood, up to his max contract value (25% of the cap).

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Sure.

Larry **** describes Early Bird rights as a weaker version of full Bird rights.  With full you can go as far over the cap as you want to sign your free agent.  With early you are limited to what you can offer him.  You can offer 175% of his previous years salary or 105% of the average salary in the league, whichever is greater.

Wood makes $1.5M this year so 175% of that is $2.6M.  The average salary in the league is $7.7M.  So 105% of that is just a touch over $8M.  So Detroit can offer him $8M, sort of.

I said sort of because all of that only applies if Detroit is over the cap.  If they have more than the $8M in cap space, they are welcome to use that to sign Wood, up to his max contract value (25% of the cap).

What do you think Wood is looking at getting on the open market?  I know we limit his minutes so it is hard to really gage his value but he will be 25 years old next season and it feels to me like some team will give him 10 million plus a year.  I don't think we can afford to let him go.

13 minutes ago, Hart said:

What do you think Wood is looking at getting on the open market?  I know we limit his minutes so it is hard to really gage his value but he will be 25 years old next season and it feels to me like some team will give him 10 million plus a year.  I don't think we can afford to let him go.

I'd like to see if he can up his 3PTA's and maintain his 36% from three number.  He is pretty valuable if he can do that in todays game.

On the other hand, his defense is bad, really bad.  

I would say $7-$8M per year, so $10M is definitely in range.  He becomes a lot more valuable to Detroit if Andre isn't around.

It doesn't mean much.  

It does let you trade and/or sign a guy even if you don't have the cap space.  But the Pistons are a few hundred thousand from the luxury tax.  So any move using this would put them over the luxury tax.  I can't imagine them doing that.

One scenario where it could be used.

If they trade Drummond (Or anyone) and take back less salary then they sent out, then they could use this.

Trade Drummond $27M and take back $22M, they could use $5M of this to sign/trade someone.  Or however much they are under the luxury tax.

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It doesn't mean much.  

It does let you trade and/or sign a guy even if you don't have the cap space.  But the Pistons are a few hundred thousand from the luxury tax.  So any move using this would put them over the luxury tax.  I can't imagine them doing that.

If they make another move which clear a little cap space, could this come in handy? It would be great if they could take on a player's contract from a team that is willing to attach a pick. 

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

One scenario where it could be used.

If they trade Drummond (Or anyone) and take back less salary then they sent out, then they could use this.

Trade Drummond $27M and take back $22M, they could use $5M of this to sign/trade someone.  Or however much they are under the luxury tax.

Exactly what I was thinking, let's hope this is the case. 

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

If they make another move which clear a little cap space, could this come in handy? It would be great if they could take on a player's contract from a team that is willing to attach a pick. 

The problem is all of the rules associated with the exception.

Can only sign a player for the remainder of the year, nothing longer.  Can only trade for a player on the final year of his contract.  So it doesn't really help teams clear cap space that much.

Another decent name being brought up for Dallas.  Kenneth Faried.

He was bought out by his Chinese team because of an injury.  He could be added to the mix if  he is healthy.

Is anybody really interested in trading Rose to the Lakers for what ends up being the 30th pick possibly? I'd rather look for a young player on someone's bench like a Zhaire Smith.

All I know about Smith is he can't get any run with Philly and only averages 13PPG in the G-league.  Not exactly things making me want him.

But I would try to salvage anything possible from Rose.