leflore

Worst sports city year ever?

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

I don't know if he ever came right out and said it but he definitely implied this.

On a 180 from the topic of this thread, I recently read 'Terror in the City of Champions,' about the mid-1930s in Detroit.  The Tigers, Wings, Lions, and Joe Louis were all winning championships then, and the book alternates chapters between discussing sports stuff (mostly Tigers, and heavily Mickey Cochrane) and some crime/terror organizations that were brewing in the City at the time.  It's a pretty good baseball fix for the winter, with a little other stuff thrown in too.  The guy who wrote it is (was?) a history professor at Detroit Mercy.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check that out

I think Torii was an asset to the Tigers his first year but not really his second year, mostly because of the D. Overall I have him as a positive Tiger in my book, which sells on amazon for $.46. Or a '73 topps Pat Dobson in trade.

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

only a lions fan raised on lions qb ineptitude would remember danielson as almost reasonably competent.

the two best lions qbs of my lifetime are matt stafford (of course) and probably erik freaking kramer.

Well, you can't mention Kramer in Detroit. He crossed a picket line for God's sake !! A capital offense to some,.

As for the ineptitude, add  Bill Munson, Karl Sweetan, Eric Hipple, Joe Reed, Bob Gagliano, and Chuck long to the inept list.

19 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I wouldn't not say 'most' of his career. He was a fine player for a number of years in Minn and LA. Most players with outgoing personalities that are willing to talk to reporters end up  'overrated' because  they end up with more media profile, but is that some kind of 'fault' on their part? Criticizing the player for that is like blaming players for taking more money than they are 'worth'.

Granted he wasn't the most graceful player about losing losing his skills when it happened, but few are.

He was good, just not the superstar he was built up to be.  

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

Well, you can't mention Kramer in Detroit. He crossed a picket line for God's sake !! A capital offense to some,.

As for the ineptitude, add  Bill Munson, Karl Sweetan, Eric Hipple, Joe Reed, Bob Gagliano, and Chuck long to the inept list.

Lol - IIRC, Munson had an absolute cannon for an arm but just zero touch. He would throw the ball right through guys on short stuff like side line outs. I think his receivers got scared to get in the way of the ball   xD

When I think of Lions quarterbacks, I think of Greg Landry.  

On 1/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, Yoda said:

Everyone who smiles a lot in public is a "great clubhouse guy". 

As well as players who cheerfully engage the media.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:32 PM, Buddha said:

remember when the lions chose to sign scott mitchell to a huge contract instead of warren moon?  ah lions, dont ever change.

I also remember when they fired Jim Caldwell after four seasons racking up the third highest winning percentage in Lions history of any head coach with as many games at the helm.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I also remember when they fired Jim Caldwell after four seasons racking up the third highest winning percentage in Lions history of any head coach with as many games at the helm.

that's not a large bar to reach....

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

that's not a large bar to reach....

Jim Caldwell was head coach for the Lions from 2014 thru 2017. 

Lions record those 4 seasons as follows:  11-5, 7-9, 9-7, 9-7.  Overall = 36-28, .563 w/l pct... and fired.

Of course ..Matt Patricia has proven to be a far superior coach.  ? 

Can't wait until next year when the Lions make it all the way to the Stupor Bowl.

As for Lions GM:

"Come all without, come all within
You’ll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn" 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, Shelton said:

This reminds me of a tweet I saw on new year’s eve asking what was your biggest sports heartbreak of the decade. I felt like being a U-M and Detroit sports supporter, there weren’t many other fans that could beat it. 

M basketball lost twice in the championship game. 

the tigers lost a World Series and an ALCS that was essentially a World Series. 

M football lost that 2016 OSU game and was 1-9 overall (and the one hardly counts).

the lions had that playoff loss against Dallas that was kind of bull**** (this was basically a Super Bowl for lions fans).

a Georgia/Atlanta fan had the double whammy of the college football Championship and Super Bowl blown games. 

trying to think of other teams/cities that lost multiple championship games or at least semi-final games of import (without a corresponding win close to it).

Anyone?

As a baseball guy and a Michigan guy, and someone who actually follows college baseball (and went to m a lot more U of M games than Tiger games last year), I would throw in Michigan's run to the final of the College World Series -- although with an asterisk, because their getting there was so unforeseeable and improbable that I was very happy that they did, and not nearly as crushed by the end result as I was by the basketball team's final-game losses or the Tigers' postseason failures.

2 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

As a baseball guy and a Michigan guy, and someone who actually follows college baseball (and went to m a lot more U of M games than Tiger games last year), I would throw in Michigan's run to the final of the College World Series -- although with an asterisk, because their getting there was so unforeseeable and improbable that I was very happy that they did, and not nearly as crushed by the end result as I was by the basketball team's final-game losses or the Tigers' postseason failures.

I almost included that. It was a bummer but I live a half mile from the field and never go to games, so I can’t claim to be a legit supporter. 

I was at the Tiger game during the last game of the college WS watching on my phone and the color scheme threw me off... I thought UM was winning and told the guys around me... 

33 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I almost included that. It was a bummer but I live a half mile from the field and never go to games, so I can’t claim to be a legit supporter. 

you're a horrible athletic supporter.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

you're a horrible athletic supporter.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBTZuhZOGKWTvjSGq5BpA

On 1/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Bobby Layne was before my time, but in my Lion's lifetime the QB position up until Stafford has been one long slow motion train wreck. Greg Landry was reasonably competent, Danielson almost reasonably competent. Scott Mitchell gave us one season out of the blue.  It would have been interesting to see how good a healthy Chuck Long could have been. Other than that - nada.

I’d argue Erik Kramer was reasonably competent.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

With the Pistons now in full rebuild their winning % is down to .325. It will end up sub .300.

4 consecutive Detroit teams will end their season sub .300. I have to believe that's the first for any major sports city.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:53 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Well ... while Jose quickly gets the first batter out, he then just as quickly gives up a double.  Two batters, three pitches total, one out, one runner, Tigers lead still 5-1.  But Leyland pulls Veras and brings in Drew Smyly to face Jacob Ellsbury, whom he walks on 6 pitches.  Then Mumbles  immediately pulled Smyly after he walked the only batter he faced and brought in BBQ (Al Alberqueque.)  BBQ retired Shane Victorino, but then gaveup a single to Dustin Pedroia to load the bases.  Leyland then pulled BBQ (after 8 pitches) and brought in closer Joaquin Benoit to face David Ortiz with 2-out & bases loaded.and Tigers still leading 5-1.  BUT to the Tiger's dismay ..Benoit's first pitch was ... BOOM ... Grand Slam by David Ortiz ... Tie Game!

Because of the new rules in place this year, there is no way a manager could manage an inning like that now.  And the Tigers may have won that game because of it. 

21 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Other than Stafford, do any of the 4 Detroit teams even have a star player?

Griffin was last year but his knees may be about done

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Other than Stafford, do any of the 4 Detroit teams even have a star player?

I do not consider Stafford to be a 'star'.

'nuff said.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

I do not consider Stafford to be a 'star'.

'nuff said.

So are you in the Tua camp then?